The Journey To The New Me

And your BMI is below 32 .... inwards and downwards!

Amazing losses :D xx

Another good week and another 5 lbs down :)

And you have shimmyed elegantly straight past me. Well done.

You're doing so well :)

Another 3 pounds off even though it is my totm. :) I was so hungry last night so I had another pack of my shake but I reckoned that was better than resorting to food and it still kept it under 800 calories. I always seem to get really hungry at this time of the month

Sensible decision. Well done.

I have just figured out how to change the title of this thread as seeing "I'm so depressed" depressing lol. So I have changed it to its proper title now.

Wow I never realised how unfit I was, but for the first time in years I can now sleep on my back without feeling breathless.

There will come a point where your body will just settle at recieving 450 cals a day and you wont keep losing. When you get to your goal weight how will you maintain it cause as soon as you start eating over 450 cals per day you will put the weight straight back on. I did this years ago and I got to a healthy weight and as soon as I started eating a bit more I ended up getting bigger and bigger.

Good point, Supervixen. I think that's why it's good to have a plan that reintroduces a real protein meal at some stage during the weight loss phase. Alizonne reintroduces it when 70% of the weight is lost. So we learn for a period of time (probably 3 months in my case) to eat a small amount of protein (140g white fish etc or 120 g lean meat) 120g of lean meat is small - I had it last night. It doesn't seem enough. I used to eat 2-3 times that much meat or fish twice a day. We eat it with low cal non starchy vegetable in the evening, and one tablespoon of olive split as needed for the lunchtime salad and evening meal.

It's key to refeed or phase off slowly and properly according to your plan, or adapted longer (not shorter). Search refeed threads on here and also see what the successful maintainers do. See http://www.minimins.com/slim-save-refeeding-maintenance/279266-weaseys-re-feed.html and http://www.minimins.com/lipotrim-maintenance/266504-two-years-since-i-finished-tfr.html and http://www.minimins.com/lipotrim-ma...s-maintainence-diary-year-3-diary-runner.html

Irish Molly just posted this: "Planning is the key to both maintenance and refeeding. Plan your menus carefully, stick to the refeed sheet to the letter and keep up your water intake. Weigh foods initially to help visualise correct portion sizes. I find it is very easy to overdo portion sizes. Weigh yourself weekly without fail as it helps keep you focused. Once refeed is complete find a food plan that suits you and your lifestyle and then it will be easier to maintain your losses."

It is true that more people regain than maintain after all sorts of weight loss programmes. So it's worth researching this and also following how successful manintainers here are keeping it off, and where re-gainers went wrong. Here's one example of some info: Long-term weight loss maintenance.

So we need good plans to enable us to be in the group who maintain - not just for one year but for 5, 10 and 20 years and more.

It's really useful to get a test to work out your calorie requirements at goal as many people with weight issues have a lower than usual requirement and also underestimate portion sizes and calories (by as much as 20-30% - enough to regain lots of weight). Alizonne uses the Medgem test. Some gyms also offer it. There are people starting Alizonne who at their fattest will put on weight if they eat more than 1600 - a level at which the diet clubs say they should be loosing weight. Our BMRs go up if we do some more exercise - so adding in sustainable exercise nearer goal is obviously worthwhile. It's also an indicator of likely long term success - regular exercise.

So now is the time to resolve any psychological issue that led to weight gain. Bingers are more likely to regain than others. The US National Weight Control Registry reports that "successful long-term weight loss maintainers (average weight loss of 30 kg for an average of 5.5 years) share common behavioral strategies, including eating a diet low in fat, frequent self-monitoring of body weight and food intake, and high levels of regular physical activity. Weight loss maintenance may get easier over time. Once these successful maintainers have maintained a weight loss for 2–5 years, the chances of longer-term success greatly increase".

It's also interesting to me that the Alizonne GPs do not set a BMI below 25 for all their patients. Those of us who have been fat for a long time as adults will often have a higher target - as they believe that it were we will be more likely to be able to maintain it.

So my take on this is that the weight shedding phase is the easy bit, just the start. We need to be committed to developing and manitaining a new way of life and eating to sustain our new bodies. For me, I think alcohol will be a treat not a weekly thing. I expect to monitor and write down my food for several years and thereafter to do so (and weigh sizes portions again) if I am not staying the same to see where the extra is coming in. I think i will also do the 10,000 step approach as I don't care for gyms.

Vigilance will be needed. I feel that having done the vlcd, I've had a re-set terms of body weight so will find this easy than I did loosing weight by calorie counting in the past. I also have decided that not all food it equal. So not all calories are equal> For me, it will be better to eat real food with real fat so I will be combining paleo style eating with calorie counting to manage portion sizes: LCHF for beginners | DietDoctor.com

Good luck SuperV and Rendarida with your journeys. I wish you both success in getting to your target weights and staying there.

I have no idea why this has been posted here but I must disagree with what SuperV has said. You can regain the weight with any diet you undertake if you do not make the necessary changes to your eating patterns and exercise level afterwards. Maintaining a healthy weight isn't just about these either, it is a state of mind. If your head isn't in the right mindset then how can your eating be? I have done calorie counting in the past and it has always failed because my head wasn't engaged when I did get to goal weight. This time is different. Not only am I changing my lifestyle, but my perspective on things. After an official refeed programme, in which I expect to make a slight gain due to reintroduction of carbs, no longer will I force myself onto a restrictive calorie plan of eating. I have learnt from experience that this is counter productive for the more I restrict the more I sabotage my efforts. I shall embark on a commonsense approach to food which I know is necessary if I am to sustain my new healthy weight for any long period of time. This is particularly necessary as I suffer from gluten intolerance and having only found out just before I began this diet, I know that this too must be factored into any normal eating plan when I recommence having food. As to the comments, I do not really know why I have to qualify my diet. I have chosen this route because it suits me. It doesn't suit everyone and I would never judge the paths to health others have chosen as has been here. As I said, regardless of how you lose the weight if you do not change your lifestyle and get in the right mindset you will regain the weight no matter what diet you were on.

Dont get me wrong, I am not judging you, all I wanted to know what you were going to do when you had got to your ideal weight? I dont think it was an unreasonable question, its down to you what you want to do and eat etc, I was just curious as I have done low calorie diets in the past.

There will come a point where your body will just settle at recieving 450 cals a day and you wont keep losing. When you get to your goal weight how will you maintain it cause as soon as you start eating over 450 cals per day you will put the weight straight back on. I did this years ago and I got to a healthy weight and as soon as I started eating a bit more I ended up getting bigger and bigger.

Thats just absolutely NOT the case. Your body wont 'just settle' for 450kcals a day and you most certainly wont regain all the weight. If you do the refeed programme all VLCDs have then you reintroduce food and increase over a period of several weeks then can change to a healthy eating plan and keep all the weight off. People can do a VLCD for a long time and lose consistently just the same as people who have done SW and WW have regained all their weight and more. Like any diet, if you follow a VLCD properly theres no reason at all it will fail

Good point, Supervixen. I think that's why it's good to have a plan that reintroduces a real protein meal at some stage during the weight loss phase. Alizonne reintroduces it when 70% of the weight is lost. So we learn for a period of time (probably 3 months in my case) to eat a small amount of protein (140g white fish etc or 120 g lean meat) 120g of lean meat is small - I had it last night. It doesn't seem enough. I used to eat 2-3 times that much meat or fish twice a day. We eat it with low cal non starchy vegetable in the evening, and one tablespoon of olive split as needed for the lunchtime salad and evening meal.

It's key to refeed or phase off slowly and properly according to your plan, or adapted longer (not shorter). Search refeed threads on here and also see what the successful maintainers do. See http://www.minimins.com/slim-save-refeeding-maintenance/279266-weaseys-re-feed.html and http://www.minimins.com/lipotrim-maintenance/266504-two-years-since-i-finished-tfr.html and http://www.minimins.com/lipotrim-ma...s-maintainence-diary-year-3-diary-runner.html

Irish Molly just posted this: "Planning is the key to both maintenance and refeeding. Plan your menus carefully, stick to the refeed sheet to the letter and keep up your water intake. Weigh foods initially to help visualise correct portion sizes. I find it is very easy to overdo portion sizes. Weigh yourself weekly without fail as it helps keep you focused. Once refeed is complete find a food plan that suits you and your lifestyle and then it will be easier to maintain your losses."

It is true that more people regain than maintain after all sorts of weight loss programmes. So it's worth researching this and also following how successful manintainers here are keeping it off, and where re-gainers went wrong. Here's one example of some info: Long-term weight loss maintenance.

So we need good plans to enable us to be in the group who maintain - not just for one year but for 5, 10 and 20 years and more.

It's really useful to get a test to work out your calorie requirements at goal as many people with weight issues have a lower than usual requirement and also underestimate portion sizes and calories (by as much as 20-30% - enough to regain lots of weight). Alizonne uses the Medgem test. Some gyms also offer it. There are people starting Alizonne who at their fattest will put on weight if they eat more than 1600 - a level at which the diet clubs say they should be loosing weight. Our BMRs go up if we do some more exercise - so adding in sustainable exercise nearer goal is obviously worthwhile. It's also an indicator of likely long term success - regular exercise.

So now is the time to resolve any psychological issue that led to weight gain. Bingers are more likely to regain than others. The US National Weight Control Registry reports that "successful long-term weight loss maintainers (average weight loss of 30 kg for an average of 5.5 years) share common behavioral strategies, including eating a diet low in fat, frequent self-monitoring of body weight and food intake, and high levels of regular physical activity. Weight loss maintenance may get easier over time. Once these successful maintainers have maintained a weight loss for 2–5 years, the chances of longer-term success greatly increase".

It's also interesting to me that the Alizonne GPs do not set a BMI below 25 for all their patients. Those of us who have been fat for a long time as adults will often have a higher target - as they believe that it were we will be more likely to be able to maintain it.

So my take on this is that the weight shedding phase is the easy bit, just the start. We need to be committed to developing and manitaining a new way of life and eating to sustain our new bodies. For me, I think alcohol will be a treat not a weekly thing. I expect to monitor and write down my food for several years and thereafter to do so (and weigh sizes portions again) if I am not staying the same to see where the extra is coming in. I think i will also do the 10,000 step approach as I don't care for gyms.

Vigilance will be needed. I feel that having done the vlcd, I've had a re-set terms of body weight so will find this easy than I did loosing weight by calorie counting in the past. I also have decided that not all food it equal. So not all calories are equal> For me, it will be better to eat real food with real fat so I will be combining paleo style eating with calorie counting to manage portion sizes: LCHF for beginners | DietDoctor.com

Good luck SuperV and Rendarida with your journeys. I wish you both success in getting to your target weights and staying there.

Thankyou :)

It is as starlight said. It is all about changing your lifestyle. If you do not learn to change how you used to eat then you will regain the weight and this is the same on any diet. Yes losing the weight is the easy part and maintaining it much harder but not impossible, it just needs resolve and the ability to see the error in how you used to eat and being able to see the necessity of changing old habits.

Yay another 4 lb off today.

Another 4 pounds down this week :)

Back