The Mad Dash (and beyond!) Diary

Samprand

WILL do it!
Hi everyone :)

Well, in true me-style, I've gone and left losing weight until the last minute. I tried Exante before, losing 17lbs in 2 weeks, and in January this year decided to get back on plan... which never happened despite me knowing full well my uni graduation will be happening this September. So instead of giving myself 9 months to lose weight, I've left it until now, giving myself 106 days (just over 15 weeks).

Oh god WHHHYYYYY have I left it so late?! Lack of willpower and self-control are the only answers, I'm afraid. But there's no point in grumbling, it's time to get on with it.

I have lost a little weight recently (going from 19stone - after a mad scoffing binge - to 18st 4lbs, which is where I am now). I was also on an NHS weight management programme until recently but had to stop going due to uni studying obligations getting in the way of me attending group sessions, but am going to re-join the same programme - albeit with a different group - in July.

My plan goes a little something like this... to be 100% on Exante TS for 100 days (to begin with)... to start swimming at least once a week by Day 21... to start the 30 Day Shred on Day 31... and to start Insanity on Day 51, leaving me just over another 50 days to carry on losing weight whilst toning up as much as possible at the same time.

We all know Exante is somewhat of an extreme diet, so why am I doing it? Well, due to the afore-mentioned incredibly bad time management, my main reason for choosing Exante is simple - BIG LOSSES. VLCD's give drastic results, but not easily. It takes a lot of willpower, which is something I need to master. Another reason for me wanting to lose weight is that I have arthritis in my knee, and am going to need knee replacement surgery, so in the interests of basically making things easier for myself, losing weight will help immensely. I would also like to start a family within the next few years, but am likely to have difficulty due to me having PCOS, the symptoms of which can be lessened or removed completely by weight loss. Finally, I just hate the way I look - it's that simple. I'm sick of clothes not fitting me any more, and feeling defeated when I inevitably have to think 'right, that top doesn't fit', and put it in the I'm-too-fat-to-fit-in-these pile of clothes that gets bigger and bigger every month. I hate the feeling of my legs rubbing together. I hate feeling self-conscious when I'm out and about. I despise the fact that colleagues have to subtly move out of the way when I'm walking past them through corridors at work so that I can fit through - awkward much! And with this hotter weather, I hate sweating when I so much as even think about moving. I also don't want to look like a total heffer in my graduation pics.

So. Those are my reasons (plus so many others) for wanting - and needing - to lose weight. I can't think of any reasons to stay this size, so it looks like the idea of losing weight wins!

Please feel free to read my diary, and to leave comments too if you like :)

Hi Samprand. Sounds as though you have a plan, lots of motivation, and the determination to see it through! I'm not sure what is involved with your planned exercise methods, but do make sure that you don't hurt your knee doing 30-day Shred and Insanity. (I speak as someone with inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis, who managed to make one knee infinitely worse simply by walking downstairs last week. I'm still kicking myself, metaphorically speaking.) Good luck, and I hope that Exante goes well for you.

Hi Samprand. You've clearly thought out your weight loss plan. I really felt for you when reading through your reasons for wanting to lose weight. You've got the motivation to do it so good luck with your weight loss journey. It helps to make use of the forum and keep in touch with others. As well as keeping my own diary ( which I feel holds me to account to try to keep to what I say I am going to do) I also find it really useful and motivational to follow other people's diaries.
Regards
Lynne

:welcome2:

Hi Samprand. Sounds as though you have a plan, lots of motivation, and the determination to see it through! I'm not sure what is involved with your planned exercise methods, but do make sure that you don't hurt your knee doing 30-day Shred and Insanity. (I speak as someone with inflammatory arthritis and osteoarthritis, who managed to make one knee infinitely worse simply by walking downstairs last week. I'm still kicking myself, metaphorically speaking.) Good luck, and I hope that Exante goes well for you.

I think I made the exercise plan when I was in an I-can-conquer-the-world mood lol I will just have to see how things go, as there's no point damaging my knee and making things worse for myself. If my knee doe act up I'll still do exercise but something a bit more knee-friendly, maybe just a walk around the block or something - it all counts :) How is your knee now? It's awful when simple things manage to injure us!

Hi Samprand. You've clearly thought out your weight loss plan. I really felt for you when reading through your reasons for wanting to lose weight. You've got the motivation to do it so good luck with your weight loss journey. It helps to make use of the forum and keep in touch with others. As well as keeping my own diary ( which I feel holds me to account to try to keep to what I say I am going to do) I also find it really useful and motivational to follow other people's diaries.
Regards
Lynne

:welcome2:

Hi Lynne. I think keeping diaries before helped me to stay on plan because, as you said, it holds you to account. I remember thinking when I was on Exante before, 'Ah I can't cheat on the diet because I'll have to write it in my diary and face the wrath of minimin-ers' lol I'll have to have a nosey at yours :p and explore the diary forum, it will be particularly good to find people of a similar starting weight and see their progress, which will help to motivate me.

This mini-heatwave is starting to be unbearable, I'm so hot all the time and it's horrible! Haven't quite managed to be 100% in the last few days, I make it through the whole day and then let myself down in the evening.

But I'm doing ok so far today :) I've worked 7am-noon today and am working the night shift tonight (8pm-8am) so I will definitely be kept busy! I'll just have to avoid being let loose in the kitchen at work unless I'm feeling strong enough to resist the biscuits, crisps, toast, yogurts... I'm going to take a cereal bar in case it all gets too much lol

I'm sitting in bed, uniform in the wash, Friends on tv, with a veg soup and banana shake (with ice!) to have now :)

Feeling motivated and strong... so far!

Hi Sam - how's it going! I hope you're still on track.

Hi Lynne - In all honesty I'm finding it hard to be 100%, keep having the odd blip here and there which is just so stupid as even when I'm eating something I shouldn't be, I'm thinking 'Why am I doing this?' but carry on anyway lol Old habits are hardest to break I suppose.

Due to working so much lately my knee is bad right now, each step hurts. At work we have these huge 25kg bags of potatoes, which I think equates to about 3 stone per bag. Trying to lift a bag isn't easy, so it's mental to think that I'm voluntarily basically carrying around THREE of those bags on my body each and every day. No wonder my knee aches!

How are things going for you?

I've struggled to stay 100% but still managed to lose 3lb at weigh in today so pretty pleased with that! I'm going to boil some eggs and keep them in the fridge for when I feel the need to cheat. That way I'll stay in ketosis. Not there at the minute - only started 100% again today. Have been shopping for size 16 clothes on ebay as an incentive. I'll hqave to lose weight now so that they will fit me!

That's a good idea, I did that last time I was on Exante. I had a stash of chicken in case I felt the need to actually chew something other than a bar, so given the choice between scoffing chocolate, crisps etc, I would have chicken instead, which would keep me in ketosis thanks to low carbs :) Well done on the loss! x

Well. Today has gone really well. I've finally managed to be 100% :D and have had about 40 mins exercise (on top of working) as I took one of the dogs to the dog field and we had a good old session of fetch in the drizzle :) I worked the tea shift today, and by some absolute miracle, managed to resist donuts, freshly baked sausage rolls and pure apple juice. Normally those things would have easily made me cave in, but for some reason, not today :)

Soooo. One very happy and wet doggy, one tired mummy, and hopefully a smidge of weight loss already?!

I'll resist the urge to weigh though, partly because my scales are dodgy and partly because I don't want to get pre-occupied with the numbers.

Going to put my uniform on to wash, have a shake in bed and watch the episode of Corrie I've got recorded :)

I hope tomorrow goes as well as today! (Fingers crossed!) x

Hi Lynne - In all honesty I'm finding it hard to be 100%, keep having the odd blip here and there which is just so stupid as even when I'm eating something I shouldn't be, I'm thinking 'Why am I doing this?' but carry on anyway lol Old habits are hardest to break I suppose.

Due to working so much lately my knee is bad right now, each step hurts. At work we have these huge 25kg bags of potatoes, which I think equates to about 3 stone per bag. Trying to lift a bag isn't easy, so it's mental to think that I'm voluntarily basically carrying around THREE of those bags on my body each and every day. No wonder my knee aches!

How are things going for you?

Hey samprand, just a little hint....25kg is 4 stone!! No wonder your knees were aching!

Anyways, here's a welcome from me too, don't know how i've missed your diary so far. I'm similar in that I manage a few days on 100% and then I just need something else. Like last night, I had to have something so I had tuna with some capers which was really intense flavour and really filled me up. Actually, it was almost too much in volume, I was nearly uncomfortable after eating it. I think it's really good if you can go 100% for a few days in a row and keep the low carb food as a real treat.
I find myself otherwise extending it more and more until I end up having full blown meals, all low carb, but still a great big plate full of it. And then going back from that to TS is so hard.

Anyways, that's me rambling :rolleyes: Good luck, hun :)

Hi Samprand. How's it going! Please let us know.

Hey samprand, just a little hint....25kg is 4 stone!! No wonder your knees were aching!

Anyways, here's a welcome from me too, don't know how i've missed your diary so far. I'm similar in that I manage a few days on 100% and then I just need something else. Like last night, I had to have something so I had tuna with some capers which was really intense flavour and really filled me up. Actually, it was almost too much in volume, I was nearly uncomfortable after eating it. I think it's really good if you can go 100% for a few days in a row and keep the low carb food as a real treat.
I find myself otherwise extending it more and more until I end up having full blown meals, all low carb, but still a great big plate full of it. And then going back from that to TS is so hard.

Anyways, that's me rambling :rolleyes: Good luck, hun :)

So 25kg is 4 stone, that makes it 2 bags which is bad enough lol When I was on Exante before I did the same sort of thing, where the low-carb food became an everyday thing as opposed to a treat, which was the beginning of the end for me really! How are you doing? x

Hi Samprand. How's it going! Please let us know.

Hi Lynne, I'm not doing brilliantly to be honest. I've started shadowing at a new job whilst still working at my old one, so exercise-wise I suppose I'm doing ok(ish) as I'm fairly active. The thing that ruined my 100% streak was a piece of carrot cake, of all things! lol In the place I'm shadowing at, I work with adults who have mental health issues, and we were out on a social afternoon with a few group members and stopped off in a little cafe for drinks. So I had a cup of tea, no sugar, behaved myself... That was until everyone else spotted a fresh, home-made, warm-from-the-oven carrot cake with thick creamy filling ohhhh sweet lord lol I tried to blank it out and pretend I didn't want it which was working until the group members started saying they wanted some, and initially I just said 'no thank you' but they kept asking to the point where it was getting a bit awkward that I was saying no. I didn't want to upset anyone and given the fact that they all have varying degrees of mental health issues such as depression and anxiety, I didn't want my saying no to become a cause of any ill-feeling or to create a bad atmosphere which could trigger a 'bad day' or week or whatever. I know that sounds like an excuse but I have to be really careful with the group members as most of them are pretty much, well, delicate for want of a better word, and their level of illness often means that seemingly insignificant things can snowball in their minds.

This is something I struggled with before - how to say 'no thank you' to food in various situations and stick to it! I don't want to have to explain to everyone that I'm on a diet, let alone a VLCD which could invite people to give their opinions despite me not asking for it lol

However, the clock's a-ticking and I've stalled - but not for much longer! As of tomorrow, I'm back on 100% :)

Helloooooooooooooooooo, found you hehe

A piece of carrot cake is not the end of the world. A new day tomorrow and a new start!

Couldn't agree more! :)

It's all down to willpower, or in my case, my lack of willpower lol It really is crunch time for me. How are you getting on? x

its all about taking our medicine packs until we get better that's how we will look at this diet . I know there will be many demons that enter our heads and so we will beat them off , I guess my exante order will come mid week as I paid the 1:50 postage .
I am out of bars till this box comes , hooo well never mind . I have a mix of all different vlcd . Sam , lets think only one thought that's working on getting the medicine down .

Couldn't agree more! :)

It's all down to willpower, or in my case, my lack of willpower lol It really is crunch time for me. How are you getting on? x

Hi Sam. I'm exaclty the same. I really have to push myself as I don't have the best willpower in the world. I have no choice but to lose weight because having gone down to size 18 and then found those clothes became slack, I have ordered a whole new wardrobe off ebay of size 16 clothes only to discover that I am inbetween sizes and need to lose weight to fit in to them. If I don't lose weight I'll be travelling naked to America! Either that or in old baggy clothes. I had actually lost weight last Sunday for my weigh in but struggled to stay on track when I went back to work on Monday and had stuff I shouldn't for the first 3 days resulting in me putting 3lb back on! Since Thursday I have managed to stay 100% - today is day 3 even though this morning I thought it was day 4!!! I have decided that from now on I will just keep on trying to stick to 100% day by day and see how many I can do in a row and if I do go off plan then I'll simply start again the next day and get my target back to one day 100% So today my target is 3 days 100% I'm also trying to drink more water as I'm not too good with water consumption! One incentive is that I find the first 3 days awful - woke up this morning with a banging headache. Just keep at it Sam and if you stall, then just start again. We can both become skinny minnies with willpower! :slap:

Come on ladies we can all do this

Still struggling to be 100%, although my overall calorific intake must be lower than before, even with me eating things I shouldn't be, as the scales are showing 17st 12 :) Not much of a loss since I have a lot to lose, and I know it would have been loads more if I'd been completely on plan, but hey, a loss is a loss! As long as the numbers go in the right direction, I can't grumble!

its all about taking our medicine packs until we get better that's how we will look at this diet . I know there will be many demons that enter our heads and so we will beat them off , I guess my exante order will come mid week as I paid the 1:50 postage .
I am out of bars till this box comes , hooo well never mind . I have a mix of all different vlcd . Sam , lets think only one thought that's working on getting the medicine down .

Good way to think about it hun. In a way I suppose it is like medicine, because it's 'fixing' something physical about us. Beating our demons is most of the battle! x

Hi Sam. I'm exaclty the same. I really have to push myself as I don't have the best willpower in the world. I have no choice but to lose weight because having gone down to size 18 and then found those clothes became slack, I have ordered a whole new wardrobe off ebay of size 16 clothes only to discover that I am inbetween sizes and need to lose weight to fit in to them. If I don't lose weight I'll be travelling naked to America! Either that or in old baggy clothes. I had actually lost weight last Sunday for my weigh in but struggled to stay on track when I went back to work on Monday and had stuff I shouldn't for the first 3 days resulting in me putting 3lb back on! Since Thursday I have managed to stay 100% - today is day 3 even though this morning I thought it was day 4!!! I have decided that from now on I will just keep on trying to stick to 100% day by day and see how many I can do in a row and if I do go off plan then I'll simply start again the next day and get my target back to one day 100% So today my target is 3 days 100% I'm also trying to drink more water as I'm not too good with water consumption! One incentive is that I find the first 3 days awful - woke up this morning with a banging headache. Just keep at it Sam and if you stall, then just start again. We can both become skinny minnies with willpower! :slap:

Hi Lynne, it won't be long until those size 16's are dropping off of you! And we can't have you travelling to America in the nip can we lol A 3lb gain isn't too bad considering you had 3 days off plan, the damage could have been much worse! How are you doing with being 100%? I'm still struggling, I find it so difficult. I do well all day and then it all goes wrong in the evening. When I did Exante before I just powered straight on through, totally had my blinkers on, was 100% with no problems, but now I'm struggling. Hope you're finding things easier now? x

Come on ladies we can all do this

That's the spirit, Shrimp! Judging by your stats, you haven't got far to go - well done x

Hi Samprand! best of luck with getting to 100%. I can totally understand where you are coming from as I was hopping on and off the exante wagon last year and never quite got into the 'zone'. I decided to give it 'one last shot' and ordered a month supply. I am on day 9 and have been 100% every day. I have been really strict about getting about 4 litres of water down every day and feel that this has really helped. (I didn't really push the water the last couple of restarts and I really think this is where the problems started) My advice would be to buy a couple of 2 litre bottles of water and keep going until they are finished. I have one for home and refill one for work every day. Best of luck. We can do it!!:)

Back