The magic of water

Mizkirsty

Gold Member
Hi

I know it's recommended and I see loads of you do - but why should we be drinking loads of water?!

Does it improve weightloss - is it to do with getting rid of water weight?!

Can someone share the magic!

I'm making it my aim this week to have a min of 2l a day! I normally drink loads of coke but gonna try and switch for water or squash!!

Any idea guys?! Xx

I could be wrong but I thought it was because the signals we get from our brain to let us know we are hungry are the same as when we are thirsty. If we keep hydrated we will know when we are really hungry rather than thirsty.

Ok that makes sense! But why can't diet coke do the same thing is it bc of everything added to it?! X

I am unsure but I do find on the weeks I drink more water I lose more weight and feel better :) Last week I was lazy and had only one or two glasses a day. I STS. Not saying it was lack of water but probably didn't help. I find it helps me to stop snacking too.

Well I'll give it a go this week then :) xx

Hi ya i normally drink up to 4l a day i keep a 2l bottle on my deck at work before i know it ive drunk 4l good luck with it, it will become second nature x

Hiya. There are several good reasons to drink water. Firstly, like fat your body needs it to survive so it stores it up. Unlike fat (sadly) if you give your body plenty of water it stops hanging onto the stuff it's squirreled away (like in your ankles) and only keeps what it needs - therefore you're quite likely to lose more weight if you drink more water because you're not hanging onto the extra stuff you don't need.

The second reason is that without sufficient water your kidneys don't work very well, so your liver has to pick up the slack. Whilst your liver is working overtime it doesn't do it's own job so well, one of which is to process fat. Therefore, if you water your kidneys your liver can concentrate on the fat, which improves your metabolism.

Water is GREAT!

Last edited:
And every half pint of water weighs half a pound in weight, so if you're retaining water it'll show on the scales!!

I don't know why but I had it the more water you drank the more hydrated your body was the heavier it would weigh!!

I think im jumping on th water wagon lol xx

I'm not drinking enough water. Prob only having three glasses a day to be honest. I'm wondering if that's where I'm going wrong. I've stuck to SW EE religiously for 5 months and only lost 2.5 pounds. It's been a bit depressing to be honest. Could the lack of water make so much difference?? I'm really in need of guidance. It's funny that I can just about resist chocolate/wine/junk but drinking water has always been a struggle. I can only manage water with squash but will try and up my intake and see if it helps.

Water doesn't have to be plain, add nas squash, or lemon slices ,tea and coffee counts too. There was a nutritionist on TV who said all liquid counts! Although I would avoid counting cola as it is not good for you so just not worth it.

Every time you drink coffee though have a glass of water too.

Hi i found it incredibly difficult wen i first started my weight loss journey i just pursivered with it now i drink around 4-4.5 litres of water a day with the odd coke zero, start off with a small bottle work ur way up till u get to the 2l bottle, that's what i did good luck xxx

My favourite water fact is that if you drink it ice cold (relative to body temperature) it is actually minis calories because it is 0 cals normally and your body uses cals to warm the water up.
I love water, it's amazing.

Ok that makes sense! But why can't diet coke do the same thing is it bc of everything added to it?! X

First of all Diet Coke contains caffeine - and if you drink 2 ltrs of it every day it can't be good for your body and actually drains the body of fluids which is not good!!

One other reason - especially when it comes to diet drinks - is, that the artificial sweeteners tend to make you crave more food (especially sweets) than usual.

I am not a fan of sweeteners - one bottle of diet cherry once sabotaged my diet for the rest of the month!! I suddenly - out of the blue - started craving stuff I hadn't been craving for since I started SW!! And I couldn't control it! A bit of sweeteners might not be the end of the world but if you drink 2 ltrs of diet pop it'll definitely become apparent. And you might not even notice it.

And at the end of the day, artificial sweeteners are exactly what it says on the box: artificial!! Surely not the idea of trying to become a healthier person...

The best thing is to try and come off the taste all together and try and eliminate unneccesary sugar. I used to have sugar in my coffee but now I prefer it without. It's all a matter of getting used to it. Otherwise you might end up never being able to control your habits when it comes to sweet stuff.

That doesn't mean you have to give it up all together. Now I use Silver Spoon light which contains less sweeteners and also less sugar as it is mixed. Or I use pure sugar all together. I am happy to syn this as it will keep me from overdoing it and I don't have a large amount of artificial sweeteners anyway. And it helps me to come off my sweet tooth! I just use it every now and then in SW cakes or foods that require sugar. But not in every day drinks. I hate the taste of sweeteners anyway...

Water in itself is the best stuff you can drink (or teas). Try brewing herbal or fruit tea and chill it. You might want to add some silver spoon light if you really don't want to have it without sweetness (just a little bit less every time maybe, to get used to it) and drink it throughout the day. Or you can add some lemon. It won't taste as bland as water.

Also - I like drinking hot water - it seems to "taste" more interesting and is good for your stomach according to the Chinese :) You can also add some lemon there...

Edit: By the way - too much water isn't good either. The average person doesn't need more than 2.5 ltrs a day - that's perfectly ok if you have a normal weight. Your kidneys like water but if you drink too much the water will get rid of all the good minerals in your body too quickly. If you are quite a heavy chick though you can drink more. Apparently you should drink 39 ml per kg of bodyweight

So I weigh 85 kg which means I should be drinking 3.3 litres...mmhhh..Think I don't even reach that..haha...

By the way 1kg =
2.20462262 lb

Wow, thanks for this thread. I was also querying the whole water thing this week as like some, I thought drinking loads of water would give your body too much fluid to retain and not help weight loss.

I don't drink a lot of water at all, I tend to have diet fizzy drinks with my meals. I do drink a lot of tea thought, probably about 6 cups a day. Does the water in tea count?

Think I will try and up my water consumption, even if water in tea counts, I never just drink a glass of water ever!

I drink a hell of a lot but i drink to thirst which is good my hair nails and skin are the best they have ever been, good luck every one x

Hey all!!!

Ive started again on SW and now drink 1.5 to 2 litres a day.

And since doing this im losing alot more.

The more you drink the more you get rid of.

:D

I used to drink between 2-4 litres of coke zero/pepsi max a day! A month ago i cut it out completely, and have successfully lost nearly a stone since then-purely by still following the plan and replacing it with water and sugar free vimto! We're very lucky in work that we have super chilled water taps at the sink in every office so when I run out i just walk over to the main building and fill bottles :)

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Back