Consolidation The not so very secret diary of Atropos, 11 &1/2

I agree - where are you we MISS YOU Atropos!!

Love the new profile picture Anja!

I've discovered that the best way of sticking to the diet is to log in every day.

Or, rather, the best way NOT to stick to the diet is NOT TO HAVE INTERNET ACCESS WHILE YOUR MOTHER IS TRYING TO FORCE FEED YOU CAKE!

Luckily I've escaped (dug my way out with a bent tin-opener) and have managed to reverse the damage of the "week of birthdays and food-related guilt tripping"

Ye Gods - the "Vegetarian Option" on the works outing dinner gets worse and worse.

Starter - "Tart of goats cheese and tomato"
Main - "Roulade of goats cheese and red peppers"

Seriously? Seriously!? the eternal "goats cheese tart from veggie hell" twice.

Oh - and both are served with rocket.

That is a bit goaty even for me! Glad you escaped home to safety!

It wasn't until I read Dukan that I felt the leap of recognition - perhaps it was the more European-ish respect for real food, the refusal to demonise any food group. Actually - it was the gallette.
And I've been Atropos for decades - ever since I worked as a dresser in a theatre with a pair of scissors slung on a ribbon around my neck!
Yes, the thing that impressed me was the attention to sauces- the first half dozen recipes or so. Immediate attention to flavour and ingredients.

I like the mental picture of you with the scissors. A witty actor, sounds very Footlights! Welcome back, glad you escaped your family in one piece, always a useful knack to have.

Hey welcome back!!

Ye Gods - the "Vegetarian Option" on the works outing dinner gets worse and worse.

Starter - "Tart of goats cheese and tomato"
Main - "Roulade of goats cheese and red peppers"

Seriously? Seriously!? the eternal "goats cheese tart from veggie hell" twice.

Oh - and both are served with rocket.

Wow is the the ONLY veggie option for both courses? what planet do they live on - maybe they over-ordered on goats cheese and rocket... Personally I dislike goats cheese in the first place so that would have been a complete disaster meal...

Love the new profile picture Anja!
Thanks, it was time for a change - this is a holiday snap of me being a tourist in a Roman amphitheatre!

I've discovered that the best way of sticking to the diet is to log in every day.

Or, rather, the best way NOT to stick to the diet is NOT TO HAVE INTERNET ACCESS WHILE YOUR MOTHER IS TRYING TO FORCE FEED YOU CAKE!

Luckily I've escaped (dug my way out with a bent tin-opener) and have managed to reverse the damage of the "week of birthdays and food-related guilt tripping"
Glad to have you back and good you survived to tell the tale!
Internet access. Yes how quickly have we become so dependent on it... On occasions I even have to log on to quickly find a recipe - even though I actually have the magazine copy lying around *somewhere*

Mothers are amazing aren't they :). Luckily mine (as in: MIL too) are safe in this aspect - mine successfuly did Dukan well into Conso (not sure how she's right now post conso) the other is battling with weight gain through a thyroid condition herself and fully supportive of my lifestyle changes.

Wow is the the ONLY veggie option for both courses?

Tomato soup?

The MD is low carb-low fat and keeps Kosher - yet all the meat options bar one are pork, and the only two fish options are "wrapped in bacon" or "with shrimp sauce".

I'm starting to look forward to the fallout from this one; I'll just have treat it as a gala - so I can drink while I watch the drama.
[/QUOTE]

Mothers are amazing aren't they :). Luckily mine (as in: MIL too) are safe in this aspect - mine successfuly did Dukan well into Conso (not sure how she's right now post conso) the other is battling with weight gain through a thyroid condition herself and fully supportive of my lifestyle changes.

My mother has always been ambivalent about feeding us - I think perhaps all mothers have to be? - when we are born we would die without our mothers' magical ability to produce the perfect food, yet to grow up we have to be taught to feed ourselves - with mum caught up in every stage of that.

Mine would give me pep talks about the need to lose weight (this was when I had a BMI of 18, but had a very different shape from hers) and then, not 30 minutes later, spoon butter over the vegetables, and insist a take a second helping of roast potatoes because she "put so much work into it" and "children are starving in Africa".

I have a 92 great-grand-aunt-in-law who is cheering me on - which is huge fun, as she has a wicked sense of humour.

Wouldn't have minded being his Harriet, mind - and his mother was/is every bit is much fun as the Dowager Duchess.

But I was stuck with ironing his shirts, which I supposed makes me Bunter.

Oooh - I just looked him up on Wikipedia, to see what he's doing now - and he's lyin' about his age, doncha' know (by at least 7 years).

Oh dear - nibbling roast beef and watching the live-updates on the unfolding Murdochalypse on the Guardian website.

Two weeks in, and it just keep getting bigger. It's like the Arab Spring but no one been shot (except Charles De Menezes, of course, the innocent man whose family's phones were hacked).

Why does Thursday always take me by surprise?

Oh well, pp here I come - the Chicken has Landed.

I wish there was chicken here! Messed up my shopping routine so I'm looking at yoghurt, quark and eggs, and emergency tinned salmon, mackerel or low-fat ham (!?!?!) all of which I have really banned from Thursdays. DH had the last tin of tuna yesterday... At least I've had an adequate lunch (herring 'salad' with eggs, oatbran crispbread), and some cheesecake (no tolerateds!) from yesterday, yum :) but I'll definitely be OD'ing on eggs today.

migraine
not food related
prob lack of sleep etc

Hope you feel better soon and stay away from that computer / phone / ipad...

Starting to feel a bit better - Migraine often upsets my tum, so I shouldn't be surprised my appetite has gone walk-about.

Weird stuff Migraine, psychodelic in its impact; flashing lights, out of body floating, altered taste buds, prickling skin - and of course pain and nausea.

As I get older the pain seems less acute, but that means I notice the "crossed wires" in the nervous, sensory and perception system much more.

Ok - I have an absolute deadline on the project at last.

At 10 am on Monday I have to courier the finished product, plus a 3 page outline, as hard copy, whether finished or not!

Alas - I also have to spend the next 30 hours "team building" at an conference centre somewhere in the edgelands of London. "Team building" in the sense that every activity is designated "team this, team that" (with the exception of toothbrushing, peeing and sleeping - I hope!). So not a lot of spare time in there to work on the final draft (grrrr) or to Dukanise the food (yelp!)

Off in 15 minutes for the team sprint to the team coach

(Guess I'm not a really a "team player"!)

Team building excercise. Is there any phrase in the English language more likely to strike terror in the heart of every non-exhibitionist?

Just remember, as David Brent from The Office said: there may be no 'I' in team, but there's 'me' there if you look hard enough.

Mark

Back