The really slow loss team!

i have just put in bold all the foods you have eaten that are high carbs....im no expert or nutritionalist but it does seem like a lot of carbs...yes some people can eat carbs at every meal and get away with it but others cant and if your not happy with the result your getting then i would really consider swapping your dinner for salad with quorn pieces or cheese from your hexa.....treat the amounts of potatoes and pasta and rice that you have as hexb's in other words, dont look at the recommended amounts on the pack....look at what they are as a hexb...i think youll find they are a lot less. i dont have carbs such as potatoes, rice and pasta every day.....ill have maybe a slice of wholemeal in a morning for breakfast or ill have cereal btu for lunch i tend to have salad and tuna, then for tea ill have meat and veg....but im cc so its different but i know sw inside out and i know that when i was doing ee it didnt work for me, and if i ate lots of carbs by doing green days i didnt lose, the only way i lost was doing red days...but i understand that if you dont eat meat its not really an option. and you ARE doing green days, theres no meat in there.....i think you need to put in another hexb, its for your fibre which will help reduce bloating and keep you regular...at the end of the day its finding what works for you personally. there is nothing WRONG with this diary at all, so please dont think im picking it to bits as im not...you lost a pound eating this so you got the benefits from eating this way, so if your happy eating this way then i think you should carry on. but as i said if its a bit erratic it could just be the carb over load, and you are eating a lot of eggs......perhaps more meat substitutes? your veg and fruit intake looks good and i dont think your snacking is too bad....your certainly not massively over eating, but the only thing i can think of as ive said is the amount of carbs...and possibly eggs, maybe mix it up a bit. if i were you i would try having:
breakfast: mixed fruit salad and ff yogurt
dinner: home made vegetable soup with 2 slices of nimble bread HEXB
tea: spag bol made with quorn mince and lots of veg and just 50g pasta (uncooked weight) with cheese hexa
snacks: 2 alpen light hexb, 250 ml semi milk hexa....
its mixing it up a bit, reduced your carb intake right down, included the other hexa and hexb you realy should be having and youve got lots of fruit and veg in there and lots of superfree. and maybe have a cut off time for snacking on fruit cos i read if you eat fruit before bed it sits and ferments in your stomach and leaves you bloated, not sure if its true but it put me off lol..

also i took day 4 and inputted all the food from this day into mfp, i worked on the amounts youd put in and the amounts i know your allowed on sw and you had 1904 calories on that day.......the 3 apples you had totalled to 225 cals, the 125g of cous cous you had was almost 500 calories...that was just based on plain cous cous......i could of course be completely wrong, and i know your not doing cc, your doing sw but as everyone knows losing weight works on a basis of taking in less cals than you use......and i just wanted to angle it a different way so you could see that while these foods are 'free' they can easily take you over what you NEED in terms of calorie consumption. i have 1200 cals a day then more on a weekend and am losing 1-2 pound a week, now if your having 1900 a day its stands to reason the weight loss will be hit and miss, your saving grace is probably the fact your exercising. recommended amounts of carbs are not meant to be had at each meal, then as a snack. and 3 apples, 2 satsumas, a curly wurly and fat free yogurt all as snacks is quite a lot tbh...it soon racks up. technically your doing nothing wrong but as i say...everything has a calorie content and just because its free doesnt mean it wont affect the scales. :D x

I totally agree. I've always thought my problem area could be too many carbs but its difficult having a meal thats not too big but filling enough at the same time. I have salad everyday for lunch for dinner I do think I need something a little more sunstantial for dinner which is why I know I couldn't have no carbs. I'm happy to reduce them so maybe I'll try to halve what I was having...? I've found that I have to have my B choice everyday other wise it affects me, I may try mixing up breakfasts & using my B on something else.

I think for me its really difficult balancing SW with cc as in the past I did cc but took it too far & was on my way to an eating disorder. I am in control now but I know how I can become obssessed with numbers which is why I love SW, only "so much" counting & weighing, but I do feel it goes hand in hand with cc as there's no point eating past pasta pasta everyday & thinking it will never affect your weightloss! I think I'll go through my meals & staple foods & see what I can change, mix up, substitute. I know I lost this week so that is good but to lose 1lb every now & then isn't what I want so I'd rather try harder with food. I just don't want to undereat especially given my exercise, so I'll need to keep an eye on that too!

Two weeks ago when I gained 0.5 I'd been tracking everything I ate & that week I was taking in ardoun 1300-1400 cals a day & that was before working out my exercise calories, so not sure what happened there!! If I am undereating at all I'm not sure how to tackle it. I know some would say "eat more" but its not that simple. Sometimes I can't find a balance, I don't want to eat for the sake of eating, I'd rather enjoy it knowing its my syns or a post workout snack.

I totally agree. I've always thought my problem area could be too many carbs but its difficult having a meal thats not too big but filling enough at the same time. I have salad everyday for lunch for dinner I do think I need something a little more sunstantial for dinner which is why I know I couldn't have no carbs. I'm happy to reduce them so maybe I'll try to halve what I was having...? I've found that I have to have my B choice everyday other wise it affects me, I may try mixing up breakfasts & using my B on something else.

I think for me its really difficult balancing SW with cc as in the past I did cc but took it too far & was on my way to an eating disorder. I am in control now but I know how I can become obssessed with numbers which is why I love SW, only "so much" counting & weighing, but I do feel it goes hand in hand with cc as there's no point eating past pasta pasta everyday & thinking it will never affect your weightloss! I think I'll go through my meals & staple foods & see what I can change, mix up, substitute. I know I lost this week so that is good but to lose 1lb every now & then isn't what I want so I'd rather try harder with food. I just don't want to undereat especially given my exercise, so I'll need to keep an eye on that too!

Two weeks ago when I gained 0.5 I'd been tracking everything I ate & that week I was taking in ardoun 1300-1400 cals a day & that was before working out my exercise calories, so not sure what happened there!! If I am undereating at all I'm not sure how to tackle it. I know some would say "eat more" but its not that simple. Sometimes I can't find a balance, I don't want to eat for the sake of eating, I'd rather enjoy it knowing its my syns or a post workout snack.

tbh i think your over analyzing and over thinking it...i gave an in depth post and included cals just to show how although on the front of it it looks fine and it was fine but its easy to rack up the cals, i chose the day youd had more to eat but im sure the other days you cal consumption was alot less....but your not doing cc, so try not to worry about it too much....i was just tryiong to highlight the point of carbs....i think there are other things you could eat to fill you up that will probably mix it up a bit, you could take soup to work couldnt you? include lentils in it, that would be filling, or how abuot using your hexb to take a sandwich to work and maybe have egg with lots of tomatoes and mushrooms for breakfast. the under eating issue is a bit of a funny subject, in order for your metabolism to slow down you would have to be intaking less than 1200 calories every day for 6 weeks before it affected anything, its not instant. thats why vlcd work at first but then people put all the weight back on, it is very very important not to drop your intake below 1200 though...but as i said your not cc so try not to obsess about that if it did you no good before. i wouldnt worry about it if i were you...i would just keep your fluid intake up, try to cut back a touch on the potatoes cous cous etc and substitute it maybe for BNS or parsnips? just to give your body a change....perhaps make your snacks more substantial rather than several pieces of fruit perhaps have a piece of sw quiche then stop, dont eat just for the sake of eating, just cos its superfree. but most of all...you ARE DOING IT RIGHT! you lost a pound this week, and perhaps if youve done the binge and purge thing before then your body is maybe trying to adjust to having a steady stream of calories...i dont know, but you lost a pound this week so your doing something right....please make sure you have break days from exercise, 3-4 times a week is more than enough unless your just doing some walking etc, you dont want to be hard core exercising every day its no good for you, your muscles need time to relax. just do what you did this week, as i said i gave an indepth thing of what i thought but it by no means means im right lol...i definitely do think you need another b choice in there...maybe some alpen lights for when youve done your exercise?

Unfortunately over analysing & over thinking is something I've always done. If I lost a small amount consistently it would be ok as it would be steady but I'd love 1lb or even half every week, just to make it consistent. I'll have a look throughm y food diary to see what I ate the weeks ive lost well & see if there's more I can adjust. I like the idea of cereal & yogurt for breakfast & think I'll have an extra B choice for after my workouts, that's a good idea. I wouldn't ever workout everyday, I don't have time for a start but I can usually fit Jillian in 4 times & then walking around that which I guess isn't so much time towards exercise but I walk on the spot with dumbells so it's more intense than a stroll. thanks for the help Lou, I know each person responds differently to food etc but I appreciate everything you've said x

LisaC said:
Unfortunately over analysing & over thinking is something I've always done. If I lost a small amount consistently it would be ok as it would be steady but I'd love 1lb or even half every week, just to make it consistent. I'll have a look throughm y food diary to see what I ate the weeks ive lost well & see if there's more I can adjust. I like the idea of cereal & yogurt for breakfast & think I'll have an extra B choice for after my workouts, that's a good idea. I wouldn't ever workout everyday, I don't have time for a start but I can usually fit Jillian in 4 times & then walking around that which I guess isn't so much time towards exercise but I walk on the spot with dumbells so it's more intense than a stroll. thanks for the help Lou, I know each person responds differently to food etc but I appreciate everything you've said x

It's about finding what works for you. Personally I've cut out all snacks and cut right down on alcohol. I'm eating healthy meals and it's mainly stuff I had when doing Sw but I just weigh and measure everything. I dont find it hard and feel like it suits me personally but my friend loses loads on Sw and can't do anything else cos she just feels too restricted. It's about personality and what works best for you. One size doesn't fit all with Sw and there's 3 different plans for a reason, there's also success express for those struggling etc so there's lots of options and things to try. Just see what this week brings before you resign yourself to not losing consistently. You may be surprised xc

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Yogurt and muesli with some strawberries and a little sweetener are a lush breakie.. Just swap 3 of your egg days and see what happens. I think I will too as I eat way too many eggs as well xx

Lisa - I'm with Lou on the carbs front. I daren't have carbs at every meal or else I bloat big time and retain water and therefore weight.
Try only having carbs with 2 of your 3 meals. I tend to have a big bowl of superfree veg soup for lunch followed by fruit and yoghurt.
Then have my carbs with my evening meal. (I'm a naughty girl and very rarely have breakfast other than a mandarin or nectarine and I get lost of slapped wrists from my Minis mates!). Other than that, so long as you are having your superfree with each meal your food actually looks fine.

Eggs are controversial! One of my Minis mates has a 3-egg omelette virtually every day - and has done so for the whole 2 years that it took her to lose her 5 st.
Me? If I have more than 3 a week I get bunged up and the extra un-evacuated food makes me bloat!!!! TMI I know
So it's all horses for courses chica.

Last edited:
Felicity - long time no see and lovely to have you back chica.
Acc - good to see you again too.
Lou - some fabby posts. Tried to rep you but need to spread the love around before I hit on you again!

Heehee thanks Pom :D

Well this totm is taking it out of me. I'm sticking to plan and being good but it's become harder. I'm noticeably hungrier but I won't give in. I skipped breakfast yesterday and was noticeably hungrier on the night. Luckily I had enough left to have something but won't be doing this again as I had managed to stop night eating and it's not a habit I want to get back into.

great posts lou! you should become a counsellor. I lost a lb which is a step in the right direction. albeit a slow step LOL

pommy are you okay with your stings? that must be scarry???

keep going lou the change in your approach is mega, i must get that book!

Lisa I agree on the carbs front, and i also appreciate where you are coming from. a meal just iant right without carbs! i do know tho i lose when i cut back on carbs. its pants but maybe try one change at a time so you know hwat is your trigger for gaining or retaining! I have learnt i cant snack and drink the booze so try (i say try) challenge myself during the day by questioning what is more important the snacks or the wine!

Thanks for all the help ladies! :) I think I'm going to mix up my breakfasts & try to have a carb-free lunch. Someone said to me a few months back that when you have lots of hormone related problems reducing carbs (& looking into the low-GL diet) can really help so I may see where I can cut back. Must admit I never get bloated or "blocked up" so I could never pinpoint a particular food I should go without but I'm happy to try. Not feeling postive about tomorrow (i had lots of carbs over the weekend as I made up pasta for lunch as I was away!) but this coming week I'm doing a different plan so I've bought the stuff for it but I'm actually excited about mixing up my meals to see if it makes any difference! I do love my eggs in the morning, I'll miss that everyday, but I love muesli so trying that with yogurt sounds yum.

lou ???? no way ??? are you okay?

lisa I would say reduce carbs or reduce your eggs but definitely mix it up! if you drop two things you wont know which is better for you will you? did you get betetr results because of the eggs or the carb reduction? I suspect it would be the carb reduction that would be betetr myself, no point going without your beloved eggs if you will miss them!!

lou ???? no way ??? are you okay?

lisa I would say reduce carbs or reduce your eggs but definitely mix it up! if you drop two things you wont know which is better for you will you? did you get betetr results because of the eggs or the carb reduction? I suspect it would be the carb reduction that would be betetr myself, no point going without your beloved eggs if you will miss them!!

I haven't tried either yet but I also think I'll get better results reducing the carbs. I have had egg on toast for breakfast since starting SW in 2009 so it's about time I mix up my breakfasts, even just a couple of times a week!

I think you should start with mixing up your breakfasts. As you do a lot of exercise and you don't get carb bloat id say your body is using them effectively. If you don't feel full when you don't have them your just going to be hungry and then not enjoy the plan or your diet, I think the key is to stay happy as when you feel deprived and hungry thats not a productive frame of mind. I can't do red days so much as they just make me hungry and irritable and I just can't wait to go to sleep so the day is over. If your exercising every day you need them xx

I think you should start with mixing up your breakfasts. As you do a lot of exercise and you don't get carb bloat id say your body is using them effectively. If you don't feel full when you don't have them your just going to be hungry and then not enjoy the plan or your diet, I think the key is to stay happy as when you feel deprived and hungry thats not a productive frame of mind. I can't do red days so much as they just make me hungry and irritable and I just can't wait to go to sleep so the day is over. If your exercising every day you need them xx

The plan I'm doing this coming week will mix up my breakfasts, I'll only have eggs 3 days I think. I have done success express in the past where I've had a very small amount of carbs & I was very hungry later on, I'm happy to reduce my carbs if I can, things like couscous & noodles are hard to work out how much to have/measure.

Hey felicity I'm fine. I know I haven't put 3 pound on, I weighed 10.13 last night even after my days food so there's no way I'm 11.2 today I would have had to have eaten an extra 10500 cities yesterday to gain 3 pound o er night and I had 1300 all day lol. I'm on so it's probation that plus I've been a bit bunged up :/ and I had pasta last night so I'm not worried at all. This happened to me before and I drank loads of water and the next day I'd lost 4 pound over night. Weird. Also I said a while ago I get mid week gain. Every week it's weird. I think I should change my weigh in back to a Friday. I'm pleased I did it though cos I'm less anxious about it cos I've weighed almost every day and it's physically impossible to put 3 pound on over night after having 1300 cals all day. Had a not weighed at all since last wed I would have been mortified thinking I must be doing it wrong etc but I know I weighed 10.13 right til last night. So I can shrug it off. Also I thought it was good to share cos I know a lot if ladies on here have had weird gains. Maybe weigh in every day for a week just do you can see how your weight fluctuates daily. It may help.

P.s. the book is great, I've started being tougher with myself and telling myself off when I feel an excuse coming on. It works lol

conlou1 said:
Hey felicity I'm fine. I know I haven't put 3 pound on, I weighed 10.13 last night even after my days food so there's no way I'm 11.2 today I would have had to have eaten an extra 10500 cities yesterday to gain 3 pound o er night and I had 1300 all day lol. I'm on so it's probation that plus I've been a bit bunged up :/ and I had pasta last night so I'm not worried at all. This happened to me before and I drank loads of water and the next day I'd lost 4 pound over night. Weird. Also I said a while ago I get mid week gain. Every week it's weird. I think I should change my weigh in back to a Friday. I'm pleased I did it though cos I'm less anxious about it cos I've weighed almost every day and it's physically impossible to put 3 pound on over night after having 1300 cals all day. Had a not weighed at all since last wed I would have been mortified thinking I must be doing it wrong etc but I know I weighed 10.13 right til last night. So I can shrug it off. Also I thought it was good to share cos I know a lot if ladies on here have had weird gains. Maybe weigh in every day for a week just do you can see how your weight fluctuates daily. It may help.

P.s. the book is great, I've started being tougher with myself and telling myself off when I feel an excuse coming on. It works lol

Damn auto correct

I put on nearly a pound overnight this morning!

I "gained" 3.6lbs in the 10 days we were away in Rhodes and lost 2lbs of it over the weekend but then gained nearly one back this morning! I agree daily fluctuations can be quite alarming unless you think them through logically :rolleyes:

Water and bloat are my main problems as there was no way I ate enough on holiday to have gained nearly 4lbs and we walked and walked and danced and danced the whole time too. I did however have loads of white flat bread with my gyros of an evening and garlic bread too - it seems there is no such thing as wholemeal anything in Lindos :sigh: - and despite drinking at least 3 liters of water a day I was likely still dehydrated the whole time as the coolest day was 38 degrees and the hottest 43 :eek:

Girls - try not to worry about daily fluctuations - they make no sense sometimes - we are all at the mercy of hormones, carbs, constipation and a whole range of other maladies! I am girding my loins to try and weigh in fortnightly or even monthly as it is far too easy to just jump on them every day, then analyse every fluctuation and every morsel that has passed my lips. My neighbour is a real star and if I hand over my scales to her she will absolutely not let me have them back until the agreed date - I am just plucking up the courage to trust in what I am doing and break the habit of (nearly) a life time........... I must have been a "daily jumper" for the best part of 35 years now and it has never stopped me getting fat, it has made me miserable, obsessed, guilty and feeling useless so perhaps the time has finally come to cut the cord - if I can quit the dreaded fags after 30 years as a smoker - how hard can the scales be??? (yeah, right!!).

Last edited:
When is your official WI Lou? I thought it was Fridays but I must have read that wrong.

I thought you were a Friday weigher like me too Lou?

Back