The Road Less Travelled

aaargghhhh aaarghhhh aaarghhhhh!!!!!

Families!!!!!!!!

Family lunch has turned into full scale party thing, Ive invited my cousin Phil and his wife to stay for the weekend with us. Got a reply from him, is Lu invited?
No Lu is bloody well not invited and I would have said so if she was. Lu is his elderly deaf mother who absolutely and totally does my head in. I love her to bits, the idea of her anyway, but I cannot bear to be in her company for more than 30 minutes. Honestly, the last time i saw her i felt physically sick. I know this sounds horribly selfish of me, she is my aunt after all. But the woman is mental!! The thought of having her here for a weekend is making me shake as i think about it.
The problem is
a. she is deaf
b. she NEVER uses her hearing aid
c. she never ever ever stops talking. In minute detail about the most ridiculous things. And she constantly interferes. Constantly. She hasnt got an off switch.

aaarghhhhhh!!!!!

Oh no...thats sounds like the kind of pickle i get myself into here are some excuses...

1. Not enough room for her to stay?
2. or radiator not working in the room she could have stayed in
3. downstairs loo, unviable so not practical for her to come
4. invite other people too, and say its not that kind of weekend
5. remove the banister from the stairs and say its dangerous for an older person ( extreme and expensive)

Poor you, we all have on relative that is an absolute no no... unfortunately mine is my mum, but ive got enough excuses to ward her off and moving to a different county helps :)

I got on the scales this morning to discover my weight was 11.4!!!! How the hell did that happen and where the hell did it come from!!! I DEMAND to know!

I was 10.11 Sunday, 10.11!!! Thats 7lbs since Sunday!!! I kinda knew my weight wouldnt stay at 10.11 as I had been ill with a really upset stomach all day Saturday so I suspected a lot of fluid loss, but come on.........

I did admittedly eat more yesterday than I have for a long time, but I cant have had more then 1500 cals all day, my stomach simply couldnt take more than that. Anyway I was hungry, so I needed it. Today my stomach feels like it has a lump of steel in it and my lovely size 10 jeans are pretty tight. Its pretty funny really, after actually losing weight over christmas week, to then suddenly find that 7lb has moved in. I suspect Healthy, I think she has willed her 7lb onto me lol.

Its made up my mind about Weight Watchers tonight. I inadvertantly mentioned to hubby that I was thinking of joining and he was NOT best pleased. He thinks im too thin anyway, and sees this as something that will just 'encourage' me to continue getting thinner. Which it will of course haha. Anyway, i started thinking about it and thought that maybe i was overreacting, and really didnt need it after all. I cant get down there quick enough now though. He has gone back to Wales anyway, so he wont be here to talk me out of it.

7lbs!!!! How DARE it.

Well it dont rain but it pours. According to WW i was 11.8.

Ill just go hide under the duvet. Who's stupid idea was it anyway.........duh

Lol Lynn, I would never will my weight onto you, your my weight maintenance guru! I bet it's not real weight, If you've had high salt content it could be just fluid or maybe you just need your system to clear out a bit, if you get what I mean.

So you joined WW !!! Maybe their scales are dodgy to get you to sign up!!! Seriously though, how did you find it ? Hope you've come out of the duvet now, remember youre still a size 10!!!!! Those extra pounds will go as quickly as they've appeared, don't feel too down. It's good your husband is keeping an eye on
you it just shows he cares.

XX

WW meeting was nauseatingly patronising. I now remember why Ive avoided joining a slimming club again. And it was cold. I sat shivering the whole way through it. The lady who runs it is nice enough, but she needs to stop talking to everyone like we are in primary school. OMG it was just like Little Britain.

Cant wait to go back next week.

Omg Lol I'm just picturing you sat in a little britain sketch! Does sound frightful! Are you really going back ? Youre a brave woman, but the WW plan is supposed to be good, so that's the most important thing. When will you start the plan? X

I have to say that the diet itself looks very good, although im not sure I will be able to eat all that im supposed to. It looks an awful lot of food.

I have to eat 29 points a day, and fruit and most veg have nil points, even bananas. I find the points thing very confusing, calories are so much easier to get to grips with, but the website is pretty good. There is a search facility for food that will give you the points, and you can put together a recipe and get the points value for each serving. Thank god for iphone, it will be my best friend when i go shopping as ill be able to connect to the website. Ohh, theres a thought, there must be an app for it.

I have to say that the diet itself looks very good, although im not sure I will be able to eat all that im supposed to. It looks an awful lot of food.

I have to eat 29 points a day, and fruit and most veg have nil points, even bananas. I find the points thing very confusing, calories are so much easier to get to grips with, but the website is pretty good. There is a search facility for food that will give you the points, and you can put together a recipe and get the points value for each serving. Thank god for iphone, it will be my best friend when i go shopping as ill be able to connect to the website. Ohh, theres a thought, there must be an app for it.

I understand hun, I also preffer to count calories than points, because veggies and frutis have also calories so I think it's better to count them , just in case;)

But if you feel confortable with WW system go ahead:)

What did they say when they saw you're already at a health weight? Probably your program is a bit different from those who actually need to slim down...

xxx

I cant get my head around this WW diet, and Wednesday turned into a bit of a disaster so ive been back on exante with some fruit thrown in for a couple days and its been ok. My weight was down to 11.2 ths morning on my scales, so 2lb down and 5lb to go to get back to my lowest.

I just dont trust that I could eat so much on WW and not put on weight, especially when 7lb crept up on me unnanounced. Ill see how i feel about the WW diet after weigh in on Tuesday.

My jeans feel much more comfortable today, so im feeling a bit more relaxed about it all. 11.2 is a pretty good weight anyway, but I would love to see that 10 again on my scales.

Back at work now anyway, so I feel that my life is back on an even keel again. Havnt actually done any work this week even though ive been back 3 days now. Wed and Thurs I was out with other auditors as I had nothing booked for me, and today was a team meeting. Bacon and sausage baguettes were on offer this morning but I declined and didnt even like the smell of them much. In fact I felt slightly sick all morning, and ive had a hellish headache this week, but that could be the effects of the exante. Its starting to subside this evening anyway. Hubby wont be home till tomorrow, it just feels like its been a long miserable week.

I have a funeral to go to next Tuesday, a lovely lady that used to look after me when i was young died just a couple days before christmas. She was 88, but pretty active right up until a few months ago. Sad to lose her. She was a tiny lady who lived in the smallest cottage Ive ever seen. The main living room was no more than 10ft square if that, with a tiny kitchen at the back of it. She and her husband raised 2 sons in that house, and one of the sons never did leave home, shades of Rob. I think most of my brothers and sisters are going to the funeral so will be good to catch up with everyone.

Ive been playing poker on PKR a lot this week, I have spells where I go on and off it. Actually had some good games and win/losses have pretty much evened out.

Hope everyone is doing ok this week.

Glad to hear your weight's on the way down again, Christmas has a lot to answer for.

Hey Lynn, well done on getting the 2lbs off, it must be so hard considering changing your diet and trusting something new. After you've had so much success with your low cal/carb, it's got to be a shock to the system looking at eating different foods and much bigger quantities. Ive though about doing WW a fee times, but I don't think I'd trust myself on it as you seem to be able to eat everything (in moderation) and I don't think that would work for me. Abstaining from naughty foods is the only way I can do it!

You've been doing so well maintaining, and I'm sure whatever you choose to do you'll be successful. As you say the weight you're at at the moment is great. I literally cannot wait to be your weight!!! However if being in the 10s feel more comfortable and a happier place for you, I can understand that.

Sorry to hear about your bereavement, it's so sad to lose somebody you're fond of and I hope the funeral goes ok xxx

Ive just watched this program after SammyE kindly posted a link to it on another thread.
BBC - BBC One Programmes - 10 Things You Need to Know About Losing Weight

The program is absolutely a must for anyone trying to lose weight, so if you havnt seen it already you have until next Weds to watch it on BBC iplayer.

I really want to put my thoughts down about this, and the 10 points are as follows.
1. Dont skip meals
This I think is crucial to succesfully losing weight, particularly when it comes to breakfast. Ive held the belief over the past 6 months that a protein rich breakfast is key to dealing with cravings during the day, and this was proved by point 5.
2. Use smaller plates
Yep, this is a good tip and has stood me in good stead.
3. Count calories
I discovered early on that carbs where the downfall, but not to the extent of ignoring calories consumed (as in Atkins for instance). This is why i have a distrust of the WW diet. I just dont believe that fruit and veg, while it is undoubtably good for you, should not be counted in your days food totals. The class leader encouraged us all to keep a bowl of fruit in the kitchen or on your desk at work to pick at during the day. I just dont buy into this train of thought, and I have to believe in something to give it my all.
4. Dont blame your metabolism.
The real message in this was that we eat more than we think we do, even if you record everything you eat. The lady who took part in this part of the program believed she was eating less than 1500 cals a day but was in fact eating 3000 cals a day.
5. Protein staves off hunger
Absolutely and without doubt this and point 8 for calcium were best parts of the program, (apart from the excercise bit which my brain is busily trying to forget). The trick they missed with this part is showing how carbs have the opposite effect and actually set up cravings. From what ive learned over the past year is that a breakfast of cereal and toast is possibly the worst thing you could start your day with, especially if you also have juice with it, or jam on your toast, or both. If anything is going to get the hunger pangs and cravings going before lunch this will.
6. Soup keeps you fuller for longer
Ive heard this before, and I am a fan of soup anyway, and come to that Exante, which is a kind of soup mix. But this was still really surprising. A group of soldiers are given exactly the same food, one part of the group has the food as a cooked meal (chicken breast veg and rice) and a glass of water. The other part of the group have exactly the same, but this time the food is blended with the glass of water to make a thick soup. Over the next 4 hours, their stomachs are analysed with ultrasound and the ones that had soup, had much fuller stomachs for much longer. Amazing.
7. The wider the choice the more you eat.
This actually made me feel quite happy as I have a great tendency to eat the same things day in day out, which goes against belief that variety is key. Ive always been happy whilst losing weight to eat the same things. I do eventually get sick of things, so i just move onto something else that I eat over and over. At the moment my favourite thing is Jamie Olivers Chorizo and chickpea soup ( scores well for this program as its high in protein, soup, and I know the calories for it).
8. Low fat dairy helps you lose more fat
Actually this was the biggest surprise for me, although I do take issue with 'low fat dairy' The program did not actually specify low fat dairy in the experiment itself. The point they are making though is that calcium from dairy combines with fat which makes a soapy substance that passes through the gut and does not get absorbed. A kind of 'do it yourself' Xenical. Which I guess is why Atkins dieters can stuff themselves with cheese and lose weight. I think what the program was saying is that if you include a low fat calcium rich dairy food with your food, the fat in the rest of the food combines with the calcium from teh dairy food. But I still take issue with the fact that the actual experiment did not specify low fat dairy, and the guy seemed to be eating full fat dairy from his own farm. Maybe i need to watch this section again.
9. Excercise goes on burning fat for 22 hours.
In this experiment, the presenter did 90 minutes on a treadmill at 4mph on an incline of 5%. During that 90 minutes he burned 19g of fat, and he wasnt too impressed. But the surprise was the next day when he laid on a bed doing nothing for 90 minutes and burned 49g fat. This is because the 90 minutes of walking used up his carbohydrate store, the afterburn effect of the excercise carries on for another 20 odd hours and the body then starts to burn fat as the carb store has gone. Interesting, and its enough to make me really consider taking up regular excercise.
10 Keep moving and lose more weight
In this part a DJ was monitored for a day, she was pretty much sedentary with a lot of sitting down (sounds a lot like me). Then the next day she was to do the same routine but this time move herself more, and she burned over 200 extra calories doing it.

I would really be interested in anyone elses take on this program. I found it very thought provoking and will definately make some changes to my diet and lifestyle after watching it.

Last edited:
haha, it won't let me watch it since it says "not available in your area":rolleyes: but thank you for putting your input, you summed it up for me.

Ive been thinking about this calcium thing. If its true what they are saying then cheese has to be the perfect food to eat, as the fat would bind to the calcium and pass right through your body. So i could eat cheese all day and my body woud never use the fat in it, never put on weight from it?

Maybe one day when im half a stone underweight, ill be brave enough to try it out and see what happens lol. Mmmmmm think of all that cheese I could eat, gorgonzola, brie, camembert, extra strong cheddar, oh yum yum. I have to stop this! ill be drooling next

Joy! Weight is back to 11st this morning. Im so relieved.

It is really scary how quickly you can gain weight, without really seemingly overeating. I wish I could remember the exact things I ate on Sunday and Monday that put the 7lb on me so suddenly. I did eat more carb than usual, as I had half a baguette with ham and salad, and I ate 4 chocolates from hubbys box of chocs. I ate other things those 2 days but was mostly my usual stuff, scrambled egg for breakfast and so on.

Its the fat cells lying around empty in my body now, they are longing to be filled up again, the fat might go but the fat cells remain just waiting their chance to perform their duty.

Actually im pretty sure I didnt gain 7lb, my weight was down to 10.11 on the Sunday due to me being very ill all day Saturday. On New Years eve morning (Friday) I weighed 10.13 ( i think), so I think the actual gain was 5lb, but even so if you take the amount of calories you need to consume to gain 1lb at 3500, then I would have had to consumed 17500 calories extra over and above my needs from New Years eve to Tuesday, and i hardly ate anything New Years day due to being ill. We are talking about 3 days, and 1 of those days I ate a small bowl of soup all day. So if my BMR is 1400 cals, thats 4200 for 3 days plus 17500 needed to gain 5lb, thats 21700 calories in 3 days to gain 5lb. The math just doesnt work does it. So weight gain is far more complex than simply overeating. The calorie value of a lb of fat might be 3500 calories, but for our bodies to make a lb of fat ( or whatever the weight gain is, fat or combination of fat and fluid) takes far less calories than that. I cant possibly have eaten more than 2000 calories a day on Sunday or Monday. I would have to have eaten really high carb high fat to do that, if i had gone out for a meal and ate fries and pastry then I could understand it more. I think the clue is that I know I ate more carb than usual in the form of sugar and bread.

I was devasted to see 11.4 on the scales Tuesday morning, after seeing 10.11 just a couple days before. It threw me into a panic that I would gain all my weight again, just like I have time and time again everytime I try to lose weight. Realistically 11.4 is still less than the target weight I had been aimning for since starting to lose weight, so I was still under target. But that didnt make me feel any better. All I could see was that in the space of 72hours I had gained half a stone, 1lb every 10 hours.

I know that im not the same as normal thin person who has never really had a weight issue. I am an ex obese person, a fat person trapped in a thin body. My body wants that weight back and wants it back fast.

I'm going to watch the programme on iplayer later, thanks for posting a breakdown, sounds really interesting. Ive Bern eating loads of soup since starting healthy eating and would explain why I seem mostly full when I've had it.

Love reading your posts about your weight and the science behind gains/losses, as I think so much more about weight loss is down to your own body and metabolism. As you say it sounds virtually impossible for you to have put on so much weight based on the thinking that a llb of fat is 3500 cals. I've found this myself this week, there is no way I had enough of a cal deficit to lose 8lbs. I cant explain how the weight dropped so rapidly as I did no exercise and have upped the cals. It's a funny thing weight!

So pleased your weight is back down this morning, I can absolutely empathise with the worry and panic it must have caused suddenly gaining weight. From the books ive been reading recently, it says the longer you keep the weight off, your metabolism readjusts itself and after two years, it's like your body resets itself and adjusts to the new weight and it's far easier to maintain. I recall it said the empty fat cells start to disperse. So this struggle shouldn't be forever, as time goes by and you maintain , this will become the norm for your body and you'll no longer be a fat person in a thin body, you'll be a thin person in a thin body!

Hopefully that comes sooner rather than later for you xxx

Yes its true that it does work both ways, we can lose more weight than the actual math would have us believe too, so its not all bad news. Just have to stay on our guard.

Ohhh clothes shopping! Again! Went to M&S yesterday to take back a pair of trousers that were too short. When I bought my M&S suit a ocuple weeks ago they had closed their changing rooms, so I wasnt sure if i needed medium length or long. I took the medium ones back yesterday for a refund, but got sidetracked by the sale items. There are some fantastic bargains in M&S right now. I got an Autograph dress, knee length plain in a deep muted purple, was originally £49 reduced to £12. A pair of Autograph shoes, originally £45 reduced to £7, and a pair of navy blue straight leg trousers reduced to £7. So my pair of suit trousers were basically a straight swap for those 3 items. Then today in Tesco, they had a sheepskin style flying jacket, all fur lined ( i need to keep warm) reduced to £20. Hubby is now actually starting to complain about the amount of space my clothes take up in the wardrobe lol.

Clothes are a human right as is warmth and protection of modesty. I'd remind the OH of these points ! If all else fails you're going to have to get creative with your storage!

Love the bargains, I picked up a couple of tops last week from m&s and a few bras too, such bargains! I need to get some gym clothes Urghhhh that's not shopping I relish, tight unflattering clothes booo..

Was 10.12 on my scales this morning, so glad to see the 10's back again. Went to WW this evening and ive lost 7.5lbs on their scales this week, I make it 6 on mine but thats the difference between morning and evening weigh ins i suppose. Still, 7.5lbs from last Tuesday evening, pretty good, but im still counting it as 6lb.

Went to Queenies funeral today, was lovely service but embarrasing as I was the only one who sent flowers, and my flowers were on the coffin! I didnt realise they had asked for donations, I should have asked someone. Oops.

Saw my brothers and sisters, they are all looking forward to coming to my family gathering on 22nd Jan. Im getting quite excited about it now. Did a quick count up of everyone coming and should have about 40+ here!. One sister is lending me her marquee and her and her hubby will bring it over this weekend to put it up ready. Just hope we dont have high winds between then and the 22nd. I dont want to lose her marquee. Im really looking forward to my party :) Im going to do lots of delicious food and get very drunk :) Will probably put that 5lb back on again haha.

Was very cheeky today, I bought a load of clothes in Matalan in November when i hit my first target weight, and some of the clothes ive not even worn and they are now a size too big. So I thought, ive got nothing to lose so took some of the unworn items back, and they let me exchange them! Woohoo! got loads of clothes in exchange as so much is in their sale now.

Hope everyone is having a good week!

Back