The Road Less Travelled

Its 12.20am so I guess Christmas Day is officially over now. Im trying to feed the dishwasher as much as I can with the debris, but I dont have a lot of enthusiasm for it. Maybe if I stay in bed long enough in the morning, Hubby might tackle the kitchen.

Its been a lovely but exhausting day. Rob was originally going to cook today but then announced yesterday afternoon that he was staying over at my daughters Christmas Eve night and would be back by 9am this morning. The Turkey and Beef needed to go in by 6am, so I made a start on the veg and stuff as i was up anyway. He got in just after 9 and I went back to bed! but all he had to do was potatoes parsnips sprouts and swede. Oh yes, his yorkshire puddings too! I watched him how he made the batter today. He makes fabulous Yorkshires, and never apparently measures anything. He throws it in a bowl whips it up, then leaves in the fridge for an hour before cooking them. I could never work out how he always ended up with perfect yorkshires when he never seemed to weigh or measure any of it. His secret is that he uses a cup, any old cup will do, whether its a teacup or a mug. He just chooses the size according to how many he thinks he wants to make (small cup for a few, large mug for a lot). Then he puts 1 cup of plain flour, 1 cup of eggs and 1 cup of half /half milk and water. And then a splash of vinegar and salt and whisks it up, leaves it to stand for an hour and cooks. They are always absolutely wonderful.

I made up a pot of Jamie Olivers mulled wine this morning and fed it to the guests as they arrived. It went down a storm, and I think i drank quite a bit of it myself too. Plus a couple of glasses of Asti at lunch as well. Foodwise, im not too sure. I didnt eat a lot of the lunch, but I never do eat much at christmas lunch as Im always busy making sure everyone has everthing they need and I just go off it. I did have a bit of Xmas pudding and some cream, and a tiny piece of pavlova that daughter made. Havnt eaten anything else since, and actually still feel pretty full anyway. I never eat a huge amount on christmas day, dieting or not. Its the days that follow that are my undoing. Its too easy to pick at leftovers without giving what im eating any thought. And it becomes just one long pick all day. So tomorrow im going to bin all the leftovers.

I have my beautiful sparkly ring now! and Hubby is letting me loose with his credit card for £200 of clothes when the stores are open again, probably Monday I guess. Also the kids gave me Matalan and M&S vouchers so I can add those to the forthcoming spending spree! I have a feeling another pair of Jasper Conran Jeans are going to be on the list, as unbelievably the size 12's I bought a couple weeks ago are getting loose on me! I have to keep washing them to tighten them up, which works for about a couple hours lol. When I was searching for jeans on the internet a few weeks ago, I found a pair of Levis on ebay which were described as a ladies size 10, but 34inch waist. This didnt make a lot of sense but as they were going for only £4 i bought them anyway. When they turned up they were clearly a size 10 and of course would go no where near as I was in a 14 then. I told Rob to give them to one of his friends who is a very tall skinny girl, but they got left behind the sofa where I found them yesterday. Out of curiosity I tried them on again. Now admittedly I had to lie flat on the bed to do them up, but they zipped up and buttoned up!! I was in shock! ME in a pair of size 10 jeans!!!! They are too long though at 34 leg, with trainers anyway, ok with heels maybe. So when I go to town im going to try a size 10 in the Jasper Conran. I may end up on the floor of the dressing room to get them done up, but if they go on me ill be buying them! Especially as hubby is paying :)

I cant shut the cats in the kitchen tonight as there is too much mess in there, so as a treat all 3 are curled up on my bed at the moment, I think ill go and join them :)

Hope everyone has had a wonderful day!

I didnt go to bed after all, I went into the kitchen to make a cup of tea and the sight of the mess was too much to bear, so I set about cleaning up. I played pc games in between loading up the dishwasher, then finally gave the kitchen a good wipe down (including the cooker!) and went to bed at 6am.

I havnt thrown out the left overs either yet. Its mostly veg and turkey anyway, so nothing that i couldnt eat anyway. The rest of the pavlova went home with daughter although she left 1 piece in the fridge for cliff, (which he stills needs to eat! that will go in the bin soon) There is quite a lot of the christmas pudding left, and I do love reheated christmas pudding, but I will only eat a very small amount at a time, so I think it will be ok to have a little over the next couple days. I made spiced peaches, so those will have to go out as they are in a sugary red wine syrup, and need lashings of cream, definately danger food.

The only other thing in the fridge thats really bothering me is a large piece of gammon thats yet to be cooked still. I really love a baked gammon, but the piece I bought is pretty big. I may just cook it, cut it into 3 pieces and give a third to son Rich and a third to daughter. Then the third left will not be such a big problem for picking temptation.

There are of course lots of boxes of chocolates and other goodies lying around the house that were bought for Cliff, but im pretty blind to those, I just need to gather them all up and put them out of my line of sight and then it will be ok.

Ive been thinking about what to spend my money and vouchers on tomorrow. Ive decided that I want a pair of really nice trainers, so may have a look at some Nikes. I also need some shoes for work as I only really have 1 pair left now. Ive been wearing boots mainly for the past couple months. All my old shoes were too stretched so all got a binned a while ago. Jasper Conran jeans in a 10 will be a definate if they go on me :). I need a new suit for work, so that might be M&S or even one of the designer outlets near me (actually none of them are that near but Swindon Great Western is 45 miles west and Bicester Designer Village is about 45 miles north of me). Some underwear, every pair of knickers i own hang off my poor little ass lol. If there is any money left after that I could do with a couple of nice sweaters maybe. Or something sexy :)

Lynn, you are brilliant ! Youve been so good, I'd say you've definitely turned a corner with your dieting. You seem to have that magic ingredient required for success... perspective ! I can tell that the joy of the body you have now and being close to getting a size 10 is a far greater joy than any food temptation. I think it's marvellous!

I must say your Xmas dinner sounded lovely, and like a good time was had by all. Liking your shopping plans very much, I think the posh pair of jeans is a must as they will go with so much. There are so
many sales on you will get loads for your money.

I got a kindle for Xmas, after you getting one I started to think what an excellent idea it is for travelling, can't wait to use it.

Hope you're feeling much better now, have a good day xxx

Just got back from shopping! First stop was Basingstoke for trainers as I expected them to be pretty expensive, but ended up buying a really nice pair of Asics for £35 in the sale. Very lightweight and comfortable to wear. Next stop was jeans! I tried on the Jasper Conran 10's but they were too tight round the tops of my legs, then I spotted some John Rocha size 10's, highish waist and described as slim bootcut. They fit perfectly!!!!!! I didnt even have to lay on the floor to do them up! OMG im wearing size 10 jeans!!! Then I got a couple of Mantaray jumpers, 1 was in the sale at £28 and the other wasnt, and it was £55 but I loved it so much I had to have it (1 was a 12 the other a 14, strange considering they are same make). I then drove to Camberley M&S at The Meadows and bought a beautiful dark navy blue suit (14 jacket, 12 trousers) and a pale grey blouse which altogether cost almost £100, not sale items unfortunately, but really gorgeous. I got a pair of black leather high heel shoes for work, and I still have my Matalan vouchers to spend. Phew.

OMG size 10 jeans!!!!

Goodness Lynn that's just brilliant, I'd be wearing them inside out to show the label!

Sounds like you had a very successful shopping trip, and have lots of nice new things to wear. I'm off sale shopping today,hope I find I few bits too.

Woe size 10, hope I get there some day, it must feel amazing xx

Its been a bit of a struggle this week, but my weight was still 11st exactly this morning so thats a great achievement to sts since christmas eve. I have been struggling with the byetta this week, finding it very difficult to get back to 2 injections a day. The morning injection has been making me feel sick so Ive been having exante shake for breakfast to minimise the nausea, and I just havnt been able to face doing an injection in the evening. This has meant that ive been eating more in the evenings than I would normally, we have been living on reheated turkey dinner until yesterday (actually love the reheated version better anyway) but we saw the last of it off yesterday. Still have a little bit of xmas pudding left, and some mini M&S mince pies. Cheese has been a big temptation, especially with some walnut halves and pickles. I really should just throw it out, but have been having some for lunch. But having said that, it actually hasnt made me put on any weight anyway. Im just very nervous about eating still, and to indulge in food I love has been a bit scary.

This evening we have been to my sisters, and Ive picked at quite a lot of the buffet food, but the only other thing ive eaten today was the exante shake this morning. So im not concerned about what Ive eaten there. In fact eating any food anywhere other than home doesnt worry me at all, its the food I eat at home that scares me, because thats where the danger is. I am pretty terrified that I will go back to the bad old ways of mindless eating. Im starting to sound like someone with a food disorder, and that worries me too. There is a very fine line between obsessively eating and obsessively not eating, and I dont want to do either.

This was always going to be a tricky week. I will be glad to get new year out of the way and have the fridge cleared out of all the tempting food things I dont want to be eating. But at the same time I want to be able to eat without worrying if every mouthful is going to make me fat again.

New Years eve we are going out for Indian with some friends, and Im looking forward to that, but it will be a relief to get it out the way and get back to normal. Except im not really sure what normal is.

After all the ups and downs and nervous crisis over what my body looks like, Ive actually now decided that I would like to lose another 4lb to get me down to 10.10. Now that ive achieved the impossible dream of getting into size 10 jeans, (and i do still feel like im dreaming it lol) I really want to stay there, so losing another 4lb will give me a bit of a safety zone. Then I just want to aim to stay under 11st. Also, its so much easier to plan to lose a little bit more weight than to work out the really tricky part of maintaining where I am.

I saw my brother Ginger tonight at my sisters. He is a big bloke, about 6ft 6in and built like a brick **** house, probably about 20 st I would guess. He isnt the brightest guy you could ever meet but he is my bro, he has a certain way with words however. Tonights little gem was 'you're too f*****g thin'. Nice. I reminded him that it was only last christmas he told me I was 'too f******g fat'. Thats my bro for ya, says it as he sees it.

OMG size 10 jeans :D
Hope you and hubby are back to full health.
You're doing amazing at maintaining, i can understand exactly where your coming from with the scare of eating and scare of not eating
I mean you loose weight and the thought of piling it back on is soooo scary. If i put on a lb i feel really fat yet i was 7st heavier lol I was reading someone else diary who has lost a lot of weight and has been told by a dr they are verging on anorexic now as they're scared of eating. I think you are managing amazingly and long may it last. I ust pray i get to where you are now and get a chance at trying to maintain, can't wait :)

Hope you have lovely hogmany/ new years day celebrations :)

Thanks Kas, we are gradually getting over this flu thing, still coughing and choking though lol.

Thanks for your understanding about my 'fear' of food. I know i sound a bit like a nutcase when i read back what ive written, but im trying to make an honest account of my feelings. Having lost the weight some years ago, then regaining it all plus some, I think im understanderbly nervous about making the same mistake again. Ive been given this wonderful gift of a new body (albeit a saggy new body lol, but im learning to love it) and im so terrified that I will lose it and get fat again. Being this slim is like winning the lottery, but with the proviso that it will all be taken away from me if i make one mistake. I know one mistake isnt going to make me fat again, but a series of mistakes will put me back on the that road again, and its just terrifying to think i could lose this.

Im really beginning to think that I need some kind of support to help me get through the next few months, like some kind of counselling. Im wondering if a slimming club would help me now, not to lose weight but to keep me on the straight and narrow and just give me some guidance on how to maintain. Maybe im just making a mountian out of a molehill and seeing problems where there arnt any.

Aww Lynn, I think what you're feeling is completely natural given the massive changes you've made. I can understand how scary it must be to feel like you're a few mistakes away from a downward spiral of putting weight back on. Only from me having a naughty Xmas do I understand now as I'm so scared I won't be able to get back to losing weight and I'll pile all the weight back on.

I think it's really good youre open about how you feel as not only is it good to get it out, it really help those of us who are not there yet and will doubt experience similar feelings if we ever achieve what you have. If you think a slimming group will help you then I say go for it, maybe having a small group of people to talk with and support you will really help. But Lynn it seems to me that you are so determined to stay slim, I just don't see you gaining the weight again,you've been brilliant over Xmas and that is sine test to get through..

I want to be a size 10 too, so given you're there now I think dropping another few pounds to stay there is reasonable .., I would probably do that too.

Lynn I really hope you get to the point where you start to believe that the new you is here to stay, you look gorgeous xx

Hi Lynn I wasn't aware that you had started a new diary it sure is a happy ending one regarding the new you now. you have done smashing and sure have come a long way.

Plus you are Maintaining so well. Size 10 wow I was that size for only 9 months then I went to pot with food.
You will shift the last few pound easily. Reading your thread this morning has helped me. So I can be just like you and most of all be happy and slim again in my clothes.
Best wishes for 2011 ! X
Shanny

Hello hun, was wondering where you'd gotten to!
I think a slimming club might be a good idea, if you feel like you need real-life support then that's probably one of the best places to get it.
You've done so well though, size 10 jeans? Crikey! I don't think I've ever been size ten!
Hope that you find the support that you need. I think I've read in someone's diary that slimming world have a special maintaining plan, don't quote me on that one though.
Best wishes.

Well, there goes 2010, and what a year it was for me.

Big change around at work with me now working out of a new region. I was upset at the time but things have panned out pretty well. Still drive a lot of miles but I am getting more visits closer to home now, so thats good.

I went to Tunisia! but without my hubby :( it was a good holiday though, even though I wasnt that impressed with it as a holiday destination. It was good to spend a week with my daughter and her kids, and was worth it for that alone.

Finally got my diabetes under control after struggling with it for 6 or 7 years, and as a side note lost over 6st in the process. Never expected that to happen! and is still a big surprise to me.

Hubby should have retired by now, but he will be working till March at least and most likely till June now. Once he retires a whole new life will be opening up for us and thats scary and exciting.

So now we are about to step into 2011 and all the new challenges that brings with it. Its going to be a year of changes for sure.

Im looking forward to getting back to work next Wednesday, hubby will be back at work on Monday though, or at least he will be driving to Wales Monday anyway.

Christmas hasnt been as damaging to my weight loss as I had feared, but its still been a difficult week and I will be glad to get it over with, my weight though is actually less than it was a week ago as im now 10.13. But looking forward to going out tonight, havnt decided what to wear yet, so much choice lol.

My New Year resolutions? To love and live and be happy.

Lynn, I missed to read your posts during my holidays! Hope you're having a great 2011;)

I just read your last posts and you lost a bit more weight, you're at a great weight right now and it really could be interesting if you joina support group or counseling because you don't need to keep loosing weight, you already look great, healthy and vibrant the way you are now:)

Hope you were able to choose the night outfit. If you wouldn't buy clothes every little while it be easier to choose:p

By the way I love your new year resolutions, simple but so true. After all love, live and be happy are the core goals everyone want:)

Happy new year, hope 2011 is a good one for you and your family :D

Woohoo Lynn not only maintaining but still loosing over the festive period, well done :)

Love your resolutions :)

Happy new year!!!! Hope you and your family have a great year.

It must feel good being able to list all of your excellent achievements over the past year! My personal favourite being the size 10 jeans, that's just brilliant! It seems you got such exciting times ahead will your husband retiring. Any more thoughts about moving to the south coast? It must be lovely to know you have lots of options and will be able to spend more together.

Have a good day xx

I just read your last posts and you lost a bit more weight, you're at a great weight right now and it really could be interesting if you joina support group or counseling because you don't need to keep loosing weight, you already look great, healthy and vibrant the way you are now:)

Hope you were able to choose the night outfit. If you wouldn't buy clothes every little while it be easier to choose:p

Thanks Aline :)

I had a leaflet through the door from Weight Watchers with free joiing offer. The group is in my village on Tuesdays at 6.30pm, so im considering going along to that. It would be hilarious if they refused to let me join though.

Yep, too many clothes lol, and im STILL buying, bought another work suit this week in pale grey. Im seriously addicted to buying clothes lol.

Happy new year, hope 2011 is a good one for you and your family :D

Woohoo Lynn not only maintaining but still loosing over the festive period, well done :)

Love your resolutions :)

Thanks Kas
My weight was down again this morning to 10.11, but yesterday I couldnt move out of bed as I had such a bad upset stomach. So that might go up again by tomorrow.

Happy new year Lynn! How are you feeling on the byetta injections? I hope the sickness stops!
I know originally when you started dropping more weight you were worried about lose skin etc? Has all that settled? Have you managed to up your calorie intake?

Hi Alps, im still getting nausea with the byetta, its a right pain in the ass. Really struggling at the moment to do 2 injections a day, but I need to get back to it.

Im much more calm about whats happening with my body now. The excess fat had kept all the wrinkles smoothed out and now they are well in evidence. I can deal with most of them but it was my arms that were my biggest bother, but they are actually starting to look much better already. Fingers crossed that they will continue to improve, I can live with the rest of the saggy body, but I cant live in long sleeves for the rest of my life lol.

My calorie intake is around a 1000 a day now, its been up and down this week with the flu and upset stomach. If this slimming club will have me on Tuesday I intend to follow their recommendations for food intake. Im sure it will be interesting to see what happens, and im certain that i will eat more on it too.

It must feel good being able to list all of your excellent achievements over the past year! My personal favourite being the size 10 jeans, that's just brilliant! It seems you got such exciting times ahead will your husband retiring. Any more thoughts about moving to the south coast? It must be lovely to know you have lots of options and will be able to spend more together.

This coming year is going to be very exciting but such a leap into the unknown. But until Cliff actually retires we cant realy start to plan anything, and the retirement date keeps moving which is good on the one hand for him as he loves his job, but is frustrating too. Im really looking forward to our holiday to Tenerife though, we will be going on July 1st for 4 weeks and that is going to be heavenly :)

If he were going to retire now, then we could have moved to the south coast by the summer, but at this rate it could be another year before we actually get to move. Im still undecided what to do about the house, Cliff wants to rent it out on a room basis which seems the sensible solution and gives Rob somewhere to live still, but I just get this feeling that I would like to sell up completely and have a complete fresh start. Its a big decision.

Well hun you're at a healthy weight so I wouldn't be very chocked if they refuse you to join. But I hope they'll let you join because it can be nice to talk to them and share experiences, plus if they're smart they'll see you as an inspiration for all the journey you went through;)

You're soooo shopaholic Lynn:p you must need an entire room as an wardrobe, hehe.

I really want to make a list of things I want to do or achieve this year, as the year goes by so fast and before we know it we will be in 2012. These are things that have been in the back of my mind for some time, but ive never really got off my ass to do them.

1. Organise a street party where I live. I live in a cul desac with just 8 other houses. All the neighbours are very nice, but we dont really know each other or socialise very much. I hardly know anyone by name and ive lived here 22years! Cliff and I moved into this house when it was brand new and we were the first people to move into the road, so by rights I should know everyone and everything about them! We have a neighbourhood watch scheme that was organised by one of the neighbours, so once every 3 months or so we will meet up in someones house to chat about it. But thats the limit of our contact. Its a very sad state of affairs really. A street party was something i thought about last year but never did anything about, so this year im going to do it!

2. Invite all my family over for a family lunch/getogether. Now this is something I used to do years ago, and should still be doing as a matter of course. But I dont do it. Why not? I really dont know why i stopped doing it. Well, actually maybe my bro Ginger had something to do with it, he can be a bit of a loose cannon sometimes, and I didnt want to leave him and his family out and invite everyone else. So I need to give him another chance and tell him he has to behave.

3. Take my cousin Phil up on his offer to let us stay with him for a weekend. He lives in Devon, near Barnstaple and it would be lovely to spend a weekend with him and his wife. I promised him we would do it a couple years ago, but have never got round to it. So thats got to be done soon!

4. Take my uncle Peter up on his offer to stay with him in Australia. Im not gonna kid myself that this will happen this year, workwise it wont be possible and I already have a month booked off work in July for Tenerife as it is. But I need to renew contact with him and start to plan to do it.

Well thats 4 things, I might think of others to add to the list but those are the ones that keep coming to mind, and I will be very dissapointed with myself if i dont do it this year, I cant let another year go by. Love live and be happy are my NY resolutions and these are things I can do towards that goal.

Sounds good Lynn and a visit to Australia for the future wow :D

Its such a good idea to list things to achieve as i think its something to aim for, and once in black and white you can revist it and see how you getting along.

I like that your list includes things that will make others happy too, and involve sharing your time with people. Its so easy to get caught up with life and miss out on spending time with people you care about.

Australia does sound amazing and something to plan in the future to look forward toxx

Back