The tyranny of the scales

My scales shows ounces & I note them, I would never admit it to my family but what the heck - we all have our little secrets...

Well... my scales must have been listening to me slagging them off yesterday because I woke up this morning 5 pounds lighter than I was yesterday! I got off them... fiddled around with them a bit... got back on... double checked... no, still the same... got on my Mum's scales... no, definitely lost 5 pounds overnight!
I've cut out cheese and fizzy pop, perhaps it has made a difference and I was due for a whoosh anyway!

So I'm back on track, and highly motivated! Good times! Trying not to get too excited as I know my weight does fluctuate quite a bit, but it is nice to see some downward movement, as it were.

Ooo, I'd better add... I don't weigh in until Monday but I do weigh myself at least twice a day - it motivates me and gives me an idea if I'm on track and need to cut things out or not. I think they are important in induction periods when you're not seeing inch-loss yet.

morenachica. 2 scales. I bet they give different weights,

and sophie twice a day that's as bad as me back in the day.I used to get depressed because I'd way more every evening :sigh:, sometimes as much as 4lbs but then most days it would go overnight and take a little more with it.

yep jim my digital scale is usually 2 pounds higher than my other scale LOL..

I thought I was bad weighing 2 times a day LOL .. serial dieter LOL

But you still use both :)

Oh how I always wanted the scales to be my friend, but they hated me. I would jump on them daily and they could never make up their mind what I weighed -up, down and back up again all in a day. It changed all the time especially before an official weigh in (had to re-check before I went to weight watchers, slimming world, rosemary conley, cambridge diet etc ...).

Even got desperate enought to take off my rings, watch and earrings in the queue for a slimming club weigh-in :cry:) and once on the scales I would exhale as deeply (and secretly) as possible - didn't want any of that heavy air in my lungs :rolleyes: !!!

(Anyone ever tried weighing themselves with one leg off the scales or leaning on something just to see what it would look/feel like for the scales to be nice for a change? :eek::ashamed0005:)

I'm cured now though - only weigh twice a week :rolleyes:

Lindylou if I stand with both feet near the middle of the scales it says I'm 10 stone. *sigh* Then I move my feet back to the sides and it tells the truth...

If you hold onto something and lift yourself up a bit you can lose weight so fast, even faster than on Atkins. LOL
Another secret to losing weight I found is to change all your money into pennies and then every time you buy some food you lose loads of weight :)

I'm afraid i'm a scaleaholic too, I have two scales just to be sure, also check on the wii fit, and weigh myself daily. It is ridiculous, want to buy a tape measure instead but can't find them for sale anywhere :-(

Kaz you need to go to a haberdashers! John Lewis or another department store will sell them!

Or you could always use a piece of ribbon or string, and then measure it against a ruler or iRuler.net - Online ruler

I've just measured myself again for the first time since Feb and I've lost 1.5 inches off my bust and 3 inches each off my waist and hips. That doesn't sound all that much to me, I've lost over a stone in weight and gone down just over one dress size, maybe even two, and I thought it would be more. :confused:

kaz I have 2 scales too LOL but I'm being good..

Thanks all, this site is brilliant for support, so wish I knew about it last year when I got married bigger than I was happy with.
Bought the tape measure from ebay, going to take the batteries out of my scales and give them to my OH to hide from me..

Last edited:
I use both I'm afraid, neither are making me very happy just now. The only thing looking smaller is my face!! I still have a stern like the Queen Elizabeth, the ship - not the lady!! :sigh:
:)

Last edited:
I still have a pair of my 56" waist trousers, I used to put those on just to see the difference. I think I posted a pic in the first few pages of my success story thread. That's a great motivator, believe me. I can't believe how big those trousers are. :)

Well despite my dodgy scales I have managed to weigh myself, my two weeks are up! I have lost 7 pounds this week, 9 in total. I am happy with that, I feel like it's a good motivating boost. I'm staying on induction for a bit longer - I feel great and still have a lot to lose. The weight is starting to drop off and people are beginning to notice. All of the 'oh no, not atkins!' comments have been replaced with, 'oh, so the atkins diet is working then?'
I seem to only have lost weight around my ribs and stomach. My bottom is still massive as are my saddlebags and thighs. These will be last to go but here's hoping they will eventually!

LOL, sophie, this is not the thread to post weight loss sucdcesses, this one is for moaning and ranting. :D

Nice one though, that's a great loss love.

Back