The White Elephant in the room

mancitymark

I have been reading several threads about people either quitting or seriously thinking of quitting after 3, 4 and 5 days.

Members complain of “severe” symptoms such as headaches and stomach cramps..............

I really don’t want to be a bully boy, but you have to “bite the bullet”, especially in the first couple of weeks, get your head down and just get on with it.

We try and respond with positive comments and encouragement but do we really think that the poster has given the diet enough of a chance?

I know everyone is different and I will get slaughtered for this post, but please, please don’t look for a reason to quit, you have to have your head right for this diet to work, work around the side effects, don’t let your mind play tricks on you and stick at it. I have said it before and will say it again .... The time you spend investing on this diet looks a lot less looking back than it does looking forward.

Another great post and I totally agree with what you say. It ain't easy and there will be good days and bad. I think I've accepted that I did this to myself and I need to put the effort in now to undo do it. I do agree your head has to be in the right place too or you won't be able to do it. I am also now appreciating what you say about looking back. 20 days forward seem such a long time away. 20 days back seems like yesterday. I know I needed some help to get through the first week but I also had a deep determination and I'm so glad I stuck it out as now I'm 16lb's lighter in 20 days and loads of motivation to carry on. I hope others find that determination and motivation too.

i actually am disappointed with that post .. this is my 5th day on it and i have found it very hard .. i'm still finding it very hard .. no body said it wud be easy i mean how cud it be easy starving urself compare to wat u use to eat .. this site is for supporting ppl .. ok so u need to give it 100% i have been tryin my best so far and havent failed even tho i have felt like givin up many times .. a lil support wouldnt be too much to ask !!! :mad:

I find this forum incredibly supportive. I've had my awful days, I remember about day 4 I was looking for everyway possible to cheat the diet but someone spoke bluntly to me and i didn't like it at the time but I'm so glad they did. I think you need a mixtute of straight talking and supportivness. I'd like to think I was honest but supportive to new members because I'm only on day 20 myself and I clearly remember the run up to ketosis. If only everyone could skip the horrible few days at the start but unfortuantly not. I think once you get further into the diet you appreciate people telling you how it is more than at the start because at that time you kinda know what to expect from it anyway. I do agree it's very hard, I had an awful afternoon yesterday where I was a nightmare for a few hours because I wanted to eat but i think as the days go on you find different ways of dealing with it but my first stop is still and probably will be this site for support, inspration, help, honesty and few laughs along the way. You are doing brill luppylouderwitt, almost at the next stage now with I promise is easier.

I have been reading several threads about people either quitting or seriously thinking of quitting after 3, 4 and 5 days.

Members complain of “severe” symptoms such as headaches and stomach cramps..............

I really don’t want to be a bully boy, but you have to “bite the bullet”, especially in the first couple of weeks, get your head down and just get on with it.

We try and respond with positive comments and encouragement but do we really think that the poster has given the diet enough of a chance?

I know everyone is different and I will get slaughtered for this post, but please, please don’t look for a reason to quit, you have to have your head right for this diet to work, work around the side effects, don’t let your mind play tricks on you and stick at it. I have said it before and will say it again .... The time you spend investing on this diet looks a lot less looking back than it does looking forward.

I agree to some extent but it is hard hun and people come here for the support and the encouraging comments!! It is hard but some people have a severe emotional attachment to food to the point its like a drug, other people are maybe just a bit greedy, others just don't really know whats right to eat!!!

Everyones journey is different... i do get what your saying but if you don't want to help people out who are struggling maybe just don't read or reply hun if it aggravates you!!!

I've been one of them people reaching out!!!! And its not a nice place!!!!

Not everyone has supportive partners/families etc!!!

I thnk you have to be in the right place for this diet!! Its been the best thing i've tried but i don't think until now i have ever been in the right place to do it!!!

thank u pamdev and deezer its ppl like u's that is y i cum here sometimes i understand u have to be cruel to be kind !!! but yest if i had read his comment i prob wud of caved in on day 5 nw .. like i say i had a food addiction i use to eat all kida **** from bars to tayto to chinese takeaways i knew i had to give up all these if i had to make a go of losing weight but i think support from other ppl is wats best .. i'm going back to work tnr as i was off the week and i'm gettin nervous cause i havent been in work since i started i workin as a care assistant so i be gone from my house from 7.15am and wont be home till after 8pm . i hope i will be ok in work xx ty all for ur nice post xx

This is my view ...

I am more than happy to share my experiences of this diet and i love hearing how everyone is getting on. I know that when i first joined this site the first time someone said well done to me was a huge boost and helped me get through the next week and i want to do the same for other people. I am more than happy to give advice when i think i can say something useful and i hope it helps, but i have never been one for pandering to people and sometimes find it frustrating when you have said everything you possibly can to help and you see other people doing the same and they still aren't helping themselves. Asking for support on this forum should always be encouraged and i think people should always try and give it, but the success of this diet ultimately is down to you, i can't do it for you nor can anyone else !

anyway thats my view....Pamdev was i the blunt person ??, i know you won't believe but i actually try quite hard not to be lol

Lilac, no not at all. Blunt is the wrong word. Honest is better. You explained to me that I could step off for an evening and have my treat but it was the slippery slope and each time I did it it would get harder to step on. I was not for one minute annoyed with you but myself because I was trying to look for ways to cheat basically and you were the person who told me I couldn't do that. And you have no idea just how grateful I am to you for that. What you said on day 5 I think it was clicked in my brain and I just know you were correct and 100% is the way I have to do this. Sorry!!! Blunt really was the wrong word, hope I haven't offended you. You helped me so much that day.I didn't like hearing I couldn't just do what I wanted (like a spoiled child). I hope I can help other people in the same way. I fell awful now as I really can be clumsy how I say things at times. Please erase blunt and replace with straight talking and honest.

Whats the White Elephant thing all about then, at first I thought it would be a woman moaning about their husband. It is hard and peoples support has been v helpful because you wonder wether you are actually harming yourself and need reassurance that the hell you're going through is normal or are you about to die.

lilac u are a great person and u have got me thru the last few days ... even looking thru ur diary at hard times made me more determined !!! and thank u every1 for ur supposrt half way thru day 5 nw and startin to feel alot better .. so hopefully i have put all d bad experiences behine .. i know there will be a few days along the way that i might struggle again but nothin compared to my last 2 days .. i actually thought i was emotionally havin a break down , but i came thru it , got thru the 2 days when all i felt like i was crying and here i am now nearly thru the first week and gettin stronger xxx ty u for ur kind support - lilac, deezer and pamdev .. xx

Hi here goes my 2p worth
i agree you have to have your head in the right place.
i am on day 16,apart from odd heaches i have not really had aany problems,i work full time and was back at work for day 3!!! i take 4 bottles of 500mls water to keep in the car usually manage to drink one while driving to work and one on way home,the other two soon disapear ,so i know i have had at least 2 litres during the day,easily make another litre in coffee!!
i manage a shake before going to work then one at tea time when cooked hubby's tea and one at bedtime.
I have a terrible confession to make I actually ate some meat and a piece of cake on night last week,i think it was to have the sensation of having something in your mouth in stead of just drinking something,I felt so bad about it i could not post on here ,but still managed to loose 7llbs.I wont be doing it again!!!!!
I now have my son at home and have to get through this next week as we are going away!!!!!! and usually have pub lunches ,have told him what i am doing and he is being very supportive....bless him...
I feel if i survive the holiday i can survive anything....
oh !!! sorry for the long post.... I think the original post has value ,but i too feel the suport here is invaluable especially when you have a mountain to climb..

Like I said in my post, I might get slaughtered, but the point is, you have to want to do it. If you read my other posts you will see I am as supportive as the next person, however as Electiclilac says.. you have to want to do it yourself. If my blunt post has offended anyone I apologise, but I say it as it is.

Jenpig .. ""Elephant in the room" is an English metaphorical idiom for an obvious truth that is being ignored or goes unaddressed. The idiomatic expression also applies to an obvious problem or risk no one wants to discuss."

Support is invaluable but i also get a little surprised and slightly annoyed (really sorry) when people on day 1 talk about giving up. What did you expect it to be like?
I am not someone who finds dieting easy and it was the same with this. I have and always will have major issues with food. But this diet works and works fast and if you just give it that time, the weeks will fly.
Right, now i'm creeping back to the refeed forum....:wave_cry:

Lilac, no not at all. Blunt is the wrong word. Honest is better. You explained to me that I could step off for an evening and have my treat but it was the slippery slope and each time I did it it would get harder to step on. I was not for one minute annoyed with you but myself because I was trying to look for ways to cheat basically and you were the person who told me I couldn't do that. And you have no idea just how grateful I am to you for that. What you said on day 5 I think it was clicked in my brain and I just know you were correct and 100% is the way I have to do this. Sorry!!! Blunt really was the wrong word, hope I haven't offended you. You helped me so much that day.I didn't like hearing I couldn't just do what I wanted (like a spoiled child). I hope I can help other people in the same way. I fell awful now as I really can be clumsy how I say things at times. Please erase blunt and replace with straight talking and honest.

Pamdev i'm not offended at all, i have read that post back and i was blunt, i have a habit of calling a spade a spade lol. I think its a problem generally with written words, posts texts with no facial expressions and no tone of voice etc its very open to the interpretation of the reader. For example in my head i was just thinking it was funny that you thought i spoke to you bluntly as in my head that wasn't how it sounded, i didn't mean to worry you that you had offended me, you haven't at all x

Back