Theatre tickets

Roziee

Gold Member
I'm planning my hubby's birthday and wanted to book tickets to see the Lion King in theatre. I've heard it's good :)

Confused about which seats to buy (didn't realise it was that expensive) but where should we sit in the theatre?

Rozie.

OK, I have a lot of experience in theatre...most theatres have the stalls, the dress circle and the upper circle - the stalls are normally all on the level, only stepped slightly each row; the dress circle normally has a higher rake, and is the level above the stalls, you're usually looking down onto the stage more so can take it all in (at stalls level, you're likely to be looking at eye level or slightly up to the stage); the upper circle are normally where the less expensive tickets are, but, and each theatre is different, the rake in the upper can be quite steep - we used to have a lot of people unable to sit there due to vertigo, at the back of the upper can be known as 'in the Gods' - hope this helps?? xxx

Devon_Dumpling said:
OK, I have a lot of experience in theatre...most theatres have the stalls, the dress circle and the upper circle - the stalls are normally all on the level, only stepped slightly each row; the dress circle normally has a higher rake, and is the level above the stalls, you're usually looking down onto the stage more so can take it all in (at stalls level, you're likely to be looking at eye level or slightly up to the stage); the upper circle are normally where the less expensive tickets are, but, and each theatre is different, the rake in the upper can be quite steep - we used to have a lot of people unable to sit there due to vertigo, at the back of the upper can be known as 'in the Gods' - hope this helps?? xxx

Thank you for that.. I understand each stage is different but her do you think the best seats are?

Hiya Roziee, if you can hold on until Janaury/February, there is a great website called Get Into London Theatre Get Into London Theatre | Home

They run a promotion every year for the last 10 years that practically all of the London shows are a part of, and the tickets are no higher than £35 each.

It's so they can guarantee people in the theatre after Christmas when people might not have as much money.

They will be releasing the first lot of tickets soon, think its the beginning of December, you just need to keep an eye on their website, or you could follow them on Facebook. My mum and dad saw Wicked with them a couple of years ago and said it was brilliant.

As I have seen a lot of musicals/stage shows myself, you will always get the best view in the stalls or the first few rows of the circle. Anywhere else and you wont see as much and may even suffer from vertigo (as Devon says above). I went to see Phantom in Manchester quite a few years ago and we were on the highest tier and your feet were touching the person's head in front on you, thats how steep it was, and it wasnt pleasant!! :eek:

Thank you for that.. I understand each stage is different but her do you think the best seats are?

Personally, I'm a Dress Circle girl, but each theatre really is different xxx

reallyneedtodothis said:
Hiya Roziee, if you can hold on until Janaury/February, there is a great website called Get Into London Theatre Get Into London Theatre | Home

They run a promotion every year for the last 10 years that practically all of the London shows are a part of, and the tickets are no higher than £35 each.

It's so they can guarantee people in the theatre after Christmas when people might not have as much money.

They will be releasing the first lot of tickets soon, think its the beginning of December, you just need to keep an eye on their website, or you could follow them on Facebook. My mum and dad saw Wicked with them a couple of years ago and said it was brilliant.

As I have seen a lot of musicals/stage shows myself, you will always get the best view in the stalls or the first few rows of the circle. Anywhere else and you wont see as much and may even suffer from vertigo (as Devon says above). I went to see Phantom in Manchester quite a few years ago and we were on the highest tier and your feet were touching the person's head in front on you, thats how steep it was, and it wasnt pleasant!! :eek:

Hi :) thanks so much for this,

I will definitely keep this in mind! Just want to do something special for his birthday, but will see what dates they have when tickets become available on the website u posted on the 6th.

Brilliant advise about the seating, thank you for educating me! I've always wanted to go to the theatre- been in London for 3 years and still not been!

What does one wear to the theatre? Heehee

Clothes wise, when I went there were people in track suits, but also quite smart frocks. I don't think people dress up as they used too. So go it what you want, we go a bit smsrt because we make a good day of it with dinner as well.

bexyboo said:
For the lion king I think stalls are best :)

Thank you bevy x

cyberjelly said:
Clothes wise, when I went there were people in track suits, but also quite smart frocks. I don't think people dress up as they used too. So go it what you want, we go a bit smsrt because we make a good day of it with dinner as well.

I wouldn't go in trackies hehe a nice top and trousers will be smart me thinks..

We have just been to see lion king and we were in the front row of the royal circle, it was a very good view but it was very high and the steps were very steep, we thought the aisle seats down on the floor level looked good as well as the animals walk up the aisle right next to you at the begining of the show :)

Just to add we saw wicked and lion king, both were good, but i prefered wicked there was more of a story line to it :)

lucylupin said:
We have just been to see lion king and we were in the front row of the royal circle, it was a very good view but it was very high and the steps were very steep, we thought the aisle seats down on the floor level looked good as well as the animals walk up the aisle right next to you at the begining of the show :)

lucylupin said:
Just to add we saw wicked and lion king, both were good, but i prefered wicked there was more of a story line to it :)

Ooo very excited now! Thanks for all of your input guys x

The Lion King costumes are amazing!!! We sat in the bit nearest the stage (stalls??) and it was great because the animals come through the audience!!! I agree it doesn't have the best story line, but most people know the story anyway. And if you are thinking of trying another one, I also agree that wicked is amazing too!!! I love all shows though!! :)

I went to the ticket man near work today and he's saying between 70/75 quid for a seat in the orchestra stall... Does that sound about right?

bexyboo said:
For the lion king I think stalls are best :)

Definitely agree with this. Without giving too much away, the action will be within feet of you!

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Back