thickening meals?

Hi Kerrylou. You can either remove the meat/veg etc & reduce the sauce or add tomato puree which helps to thicken or puree some potatoes & add to the sauce or if you want to syn, add some gravy granules/cornflour. Hope this helps

You'd have to syn tomato puree, its not free, I'm not sure that works that well anyway.

I use a tablespoon or so of plain instant mash - does the job and totally free on EE and green (much easier than boiling and mashing up a real potato as well)

What a good idea I had never thought of using smash I usually use gravy granules and syn it but would rather not lol
xx

how do you thicken up meals when made with stock syn free?? xx

If I use oxo cubes in my meals I sometimes use instant mash to thicken it up. Mr Mash is free.

Or I use 1 tsp of Onion bisto for 1 syn.

Another popular one which some people use is cornflour which is 1 syn per tsp or 3.5 syns per tbsp.

xxx

Ladies beware as Smash is now synned. It has a new improved recipe so the sw syns online shows the old style packet & the new style aswell but I have only seen the new ones in supermarkets. It is not very high in syns but thought I'd let you know. x

Smash, Original, New Recipe with Full Cream Milk, made up with water,dried, 100g made up. 0.5 syns on EE. 3 syns on Red. 0.5 syns on Green.

Ladies beware as Smash is now synned. It has a new improved recipe so the sw syns online shows the old style packet & the new style aswell but I have only seen the new ones in supermarkets. It is not very high in syns but thought I'd let you know. x

Smash, Original, New Recipe with Full Cream Milk, made up with water,dried, 100g made up. 0.5 syns on EE. 3 syns on Red. 0.5 syns on Green.

Oooh, how annoying. I've still got half a tub of Smash in the cupboard that I've had for ages so I assume thats still free.

Will go onto the SW website now to look up all the other brands to see which if any are still free. I wish there was a quick way to just look up all brands of instant mash, but I'll have to go in individually to look up Mr Mash, Tesco, ASDA etc. Dont suppose that its likely to improve any time soon since they've only recently updated the website (better than it was before, but it could still be better)

Sainsbury's instant mash is the best mash going - I use that instead of smash as it is the most buttery one I've tasted and it's totally free!

Hi

I often need to reduce the meals Ive cooked in the slow cooker. I find that boiling then simmering the liquid for a while. It can take a while but it works, and it tends to make the flavour more intense as its all concentrated. Works well with bovril type stock bases or tinned / fresh tomato bases.
No extra syns needed!

onion gravy

Hi everyone.... this is not my recipe but have made if saw on another thread makes great gravy and syn free hope it helps x

Syn-free Rich Red Onion Gravy
INGREDIENTS

3 small or 2 medium red onions, sliced into rings
Frylite
1 Tblsp Balsamic Vinegar
1 rich beef stockpot
1/2 pint boiling water

Spray Frylite into a medium non-stick frying pan and heat
Stir fry the onions until softened
Add the balsamic vinegar and stir
Add the rich beef stockpot and boiling water and stir
Bring to the boil and then reduce the heat slightly
Cook for 30 mins or until sauce has reduced to a gravy like consistency.

Add extra boiling water if it over reduces

oh i use a blender at the end to make it smooth

Last edited:
I find that a handful of red lentils thickens hings up nicely - esp in the slow cooker. (Not on red though - free on green or EE)

how do you thicken up meals when made with stock syn free?? xx

If I want to keep syn free then I add abit of instant mash to it.
Or just a couple of spoons of gravy granules.
I find if I cook something in the slow cooker and its still watery then I leave the lid off very slightly and this helps too.
Stacey xxx

Back