Things generally not working

cateka

Hello, I need some help with my diet.
I am 18 and 8 stone 7, I would prefer to be 8 stoneish, I feel really uncomfortable in all my clothes and consistantly fat.
For the last two weeks I have been cutting down on everything I eat plus eating more healthy things - wraps, humous, celery, small stir-fries and pots of fruit and energy bars as snacks etc.
I also walk about a mile and a half per day as opposed to taking the bus and I take half-hour runs 3 time a week.
I haven't really seen any change by more than a pound in either direction, am I doing something wrong or is a balenced diet/excercise programme something which takes a longer time to work?
Thank you for your help.

Hiya Cateka

Not sure what height you are but make sure that whatever weight you want to be is healthy for you, your GP or practice nurse can confirm this.

In terms of what you are doing then eating healthy and exercising certainly is a very good way forward for you, remember to drink your glasses of water a day as well and generally keep active and you'll be absolutely fine.

Mike

Hello, I need some help with my diet.
I am 18 and 8 stone 7, I would prefer to be 8 stoneish, I feel really uncomfortable in all my clothes and consistantly fat.
For the last two weeks I have been cutting down on everything I eat plus eating more healthy things - wraps, humous, celery, small stir-fries and pots of fruit and energy bars as snacks etc.
I also walk about a mile and a half per day as opposed to taking the bus and I take half-hour runs 3 time a week.
I haven't really seen any change by more than a pound in either direction, am I doing something wrong or is a balenced diet/excercise programme something which takes a longer time to work?
Thank you for your help.

I agree with mike that your height is very relevant here - even so your weight seems low. Please seek advice!

Very best wishes to you x

It could be that you're not eating enough and your body has gone into starvation mode. Also, those energy bars are more fattening and less filling than you'd expect. Fill up on wholemeal pasta/rice and lots of veggies, and fat free yogurt/dairy stuff is good.

Thank you for that list of foods, I'll definately buy some as one of my most frequent temptations is pasta (a carb addiction or something? I'm not sure). I normally only eat about 3 energy bars per week as a snack when I'm at college as they only serve vending machine goods and fast food otherwise. I assume thats an alright number?

My height is roughly 5"6, but yes, I'll definatly go to see my doctor if I start to feel drained in any way. Thank you all.

At that height I cannot see that you should be even an ounce less than you are, my 5ft2inch daughter is 8.7 and looks great and fits size 8/10, you at 4 inches taller, must already be very slender.

Make sure that you stay healthy by eating well but it really doesn't sound like losing weight is a good idea.

best wishes

I also think you are the right weight, bear in mind that muscle weighs heavier than fat so if you exercise and burn off that fat but build muscle you will see no difference in weight but your shape and measurements will alter. It could be worth speaking to a gym trainer, they have experience in this area.

Even at 18, your body will still be changing and maturing and thats maybe why your clothes arent as comfy as they used to be. This might seem daft too, but clothes themselves are as well made as the used to be and I honestly believe clothes shrink and loose their shape a bit. Im crap at laundry though, everything goes through at a 40 degree wash.

You're definitely not overweight, so don't try to lose any, just tone up those areas. The uncomfortable feeling could be ibs, so maybe have a chat with your doctor.

You dont need to loose weight. At a height of 5ft 6" and a weight of 119lb you are on the extreme low end of your BMI already at 19.2...Normal BMI is 18.5-24.9.

To loose that 7lb would take you in to the underweight catagory .. at 18.1....any lower then 18.5 and it would be suggested you contact your doctor.

All you need is to tone your muscles, pilates/yoga will help tone muscles without providing a cardio workout.

You need to change your body shape if you are unhappy with certain areas, unless you tone, your body shape will remain the same. And i very much doubt you will manage to loose that amount of weight, everyone has a natural weight.:hug99:

Okay, well the majority of opinion here is that I should focus on toning certain areas of my body as opposed to loosing weight. That is very good advice and I will certainly look into it, especially as there are several cheap yoga and aerobic classes around my community.
I'm going to keep the jogging up though because despite the early mornings it is a very enjoyable sport and it is getting easier.
I'm also going to take up a few Samba classes before I head off to Kenya next year so maybe that can throw in a little enjoyable exercise too :D.
Thank you all very much.

Are you serious on your ticker??

you want to loose a stone in weight??..:confused:

Back