Thinking about joining JUDDD..

laurenmay

Gold Member
So I've been doing my bit of research, reading some threads on this forum and reading more about the diet in detail on the JUDDD site, and I'm thinking of jumping ship from calorie counting and hopping on this bandwagon instead..

I'm definitely one of those people whose dieting one day, then has a blow out the next and gives up. Then diets the next day, then blows it and cheats on day 2 again & gives up once more.

I think this would suit me more, because there's no set calorie restriction for every single day of the week so less chance of it getting boring and tedious.

I've tried the Cambridge diet too, which really didn't work for me, but I have a lot of the products left which I could use for my DD's until I've run out, as their only 141 calories per pack. And then up days I'd ensure I'm eating as healthy as possible, only occasionally having something naughty like chocolate etc.

The JUDDD website calculator has given me 440 calories for my DD's and 2210 on my UD's, does anyone follow these results? 2210 seems a lot of calories for one day and I'm worried I'd gain on this amount!

I've done VLCD's in the past, consuming as little as 600 calories a day on a regular basis, so I'm hoping I'd find the DD's okay. Just curious as to the amount of calories on my UD, as I'd like to lose a steady 2lbs a week if possible and not stay the same or even gain!

Help, advice, tips?

- start weight 12.4 - goal weight 10.0

2210 may seem like a lot but if you eat 450 cals on 3 days, and 2210 on 4 days, it averages at around 1450 cals per day, which is not enough to gain weight. And that's ignoring any metabolic advantage you get e.g by activating the skinny gene or not going into starvation mode.

It's a fab diet - I've only done 2 down days this week and I've lost over 3 lbs (official weigh in not til mon) but I do think you have to be careful to get a good range of nutrients on up days as you won't be getting so much on down days.

Good luck!

Hi again!
I've considered this too but I'm going to stick to calorie counting for now as I'm managing it. Good luck with whatever you do honey and I hope you find something which works for you
I know my metabolism and I don't think I'd lose an ounce if I had 2000 calories in a day :-(
But I do think a day of high calories and then back to calorie counting actually helps your diet by tricking your metabolism

I made a mistake, it's giving me 2201 on UD's not 2210, only a slight difference..

Would I be able to do 4 DD's and 3 UD's? Or is it better advised to do it the other way around?

Hi Tricia :) I've been trying to start calorie counting for the past week or so, and I get past day one and then blow it and cheat on day two! So maybe JUDDD is better for me cause after a DD I know I can have a UD and it'd be easier for me to stick to? I'm willing to give it a go, just take it a week at a time and see how I get on. It's basically calorie counting anyway, but with a slight twist :)

Hiya. Do join. The people here are lovely. I have just joined on Wednesday and even though I have only done one DD so far I dont feel like have fallen off the wagon as I use to feel when I did vlcd and CC. This diet has definitely already changed my attitude towards eating. Today was meant to be a DD, but I have changed it to UD due to commitments, but I feel in no way stressed out, which would normally have resulted in a huge blow out. I will just return to DD on Monday and carry on from there. Best of luck and enjoy.

Linda xx

I think we all have to find what works for us personally. I really thought I'd have to starve myself to lose an ounce and here I am on 1200 calories a day and 9lb lighter in a month. I'm sold on calorie counting :) I'm losing almost as much as on the Cambridge diet which is amazing but brutal
I'm intrigued by the uddd approach I've just check the calculator which puts me at 350 calories a day on a down day which is even less than the Cambridge diet!

I agree it's what works for each individual.
But give me 350 calories of Real Food over 600 calories of shakes any day!
And you'd be amazed how much food there is for less than 350 calories (my DD is 325 - and I sometimes have a chunk of chocolate to get myself over the 300 mark!)

gentoo/aptenny

Also when you use the JUDD calculator you must be selecting to have only 20% of your maintenance calories in your Down Day. There are several options there. I'd suggest sticking to between 500 and 800 with some exercise (walking, etc) to burn an extra 200 to 300 calories on your Down Day.

I think we all have to find what works for us personally. I really thought I'd have to starve myself to lose an ounce and here I am on 1200 calories a day and 9lb lighter in a month. I'm sold on calorie counting :) I'm losing almost as much as on the Cambridge diet which is amazing but brutal
I'm intrigued by the uddd approach I've just check the calculator which puts me at 350 calories a day on a down day which is even less than the Cambridge diet!
Juddd is not calorie counting its completely different approach, it is proven that it is more effective to have limited cals one day then normal cals the next when done for a period of time it releases a gene etc etc, google alternate day fasting etc and you will find all the info.
Everybody has to do what suits them but I can assure you I have tried all the diets out there and this is by far the easiest, I lose on average 2lbs a week eating les than 500 on my down days and 2200 or more on my UPs. Its about getting your body to use the cals from food efficiently . I only do 3 DD's a week so could probably lose more but 2 UPs on a weekend suits me and my lifestyle so I really do get to eat what I want and still lose weight. I am only restricted on 3 days not 7 and could in all honesty do this forever ;)

MinnieMel said:
Also when you use the JUDD calculator you must be selecting to have only 20% of your maintenance calories in your Down Day. There are several options there. I'd suggest sticking to between 500 and 800 with some exercise (walking, etc) to burn an extra 200 to 300 calories on your Down Day.

I did select 20% of my maintenance and it gave me 440 on DD's and 2201 on UD's. I don't think I'd struggle too much with DD's as that's the same amount of calories I had on CD per day, so if I could do a couple of days on that then I shouldn't struggle with one DD so long as a UD follows... Just worrying that 2201 calories a day will cause me to gain or stay the same. I'd like to lose a steady 2lbs a week, so I'm really just looking for the option that makes this loss possible.

I did select 20% of my maintenance and it gave me 440 on DD's and 2201 on UD's. I don't think I'd struggle too much with DD's as that's the same amount of calories I had on CD per day, so if I could do a couple of days on that then I shouldn't struggle with one DD so long as a UD follows... Just worrying that 2201 calories a day will cause me to gain or stay the same. I'd like to lose a steady 2lbs a week, so I'm really just looking for the option that makes this loss possible.

Your cals are correct, under 500 is right, for the first 2 weeks its a must, I do under 500 on my DD's and think I will carry on for the foreseeable future, you need to eat your UP day cals or close to it as thats the way the diet works, its not a diet everyday its 'feast or famine' your body needs the cals from an UP day so that it realises its going to get fed on a regular basis, it will then no longer hold onto fat stores but use them efficiently and you WILL lose weight on a regular basis. I eat my UP cals and probably more to be honest and my losses are on average 2lbs a week. Have faith in the diet don't be afraid of eating on your UP days I promise it works. Take a look at the diaries and you will see that some new starters had much the same concerns as you but they are losing weight :)

bajoleth said:
Your cals are correct, under 500 is right, for the first 2 weeks its a must, I do under 500 on my DD's and think I will carry on for the foreseeable future, you need to eat your UP day cals or close to it as thats the way the diet works, its not a diet everyday its 'feast or famine' your body needs the cals from an UP day so that it realises its going to get fed on a regular basis, it will then no longer hold onto fat stores but use them efficiently and you WILL lose weight on a regular basis. I eat my UP cals and probably more to be honest and my losses are on average 2lbs a week. Have faith in the diet don't be afraid of eating on your UP days I promise it works. Take a look at the diaries and you will see that some new starters had much the same concerns as you but they are losing weight :)

Does it take a while for the body to use the fat stores efficiently? Do many people lose on their first week or does it take a good few weeks until they start to lose?

I lost 4lbs in my first week, and I broke the rules, 2 down days (under 500), 1 intermediate day (1200 cals) and weighed the day after an up day.

I would encourage you strongly to stick to the plan, but you should also appreciate that there is some flexibility there - much better to change a down day to an intermediate day than to binge! Good luck!

On my first week back in Jan I lost 7lbs, on my first week this time I lost 2lbs but I transferred directly from a vlcd so expected a gain as is usual so to lose 2lbs was really excellent. You will not be eating enough cals over a 7 day period to gain weight anyway. I would strongly suggest weekly weigh ins after a DD as fluctuations are to be expected the trend is downwards. I think everyone who has started in the last week or so has lost ;)

I think I'm gonna give it a go :) I'll stick to 4 UD's and 3 DD's and have my DD's on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and then my UD's on a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I go to the gym these four days a week and will need the calories to get me through my workouts! Also it's usually on the weekends that I binge and cheat on diets, so having the advantage of extra calories as their UD's should keep me on track!

There's no harm in trying, and if it doesn't work for me after a week then I'll switch back over to calorie counting. So fingers crossed I get on well with this!

Good luck, I really hope you get along with it x

laurenmay said:
I think I'm gonna give it a go :) I'll stick to 4 UD's and 3 DD's and have my DD's on a Monday, Wednesday and Friday, and then my UD's on a Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday. I go to the gym these four days a week and will need the calories to get me through my workouts! Also it's usually on the weekends that I binge and cheat on diets, so having the advantage of extra calories as their UD's should keep me on track!

There's no harm in trying, and if it doesn't work for me after a week then I'll switch back over to calorie counting. So fingers crossed I get on well with this!

Bet you stay!!!

Like bajoleth i came here from a vlcd and lost 2lb my first week, and I only did 2dd's! So it def works!

15 lost : 52 to goal

I hope I get good losses on this and that I'll enjoy the alternating of calories on up days and down days. Only time will tell! Day one starts today :)

Back