thinking of starting atkins

PinksW

Dear anyone

I have just done three weeks sole source on CD and have lost a lot of weight. However, I dont think I can go another day with no food, my social life is being badly affected and my husband who is on CD with me is a seriously grumpy so and so.

Before I jump ship, I just wanted advice. Am I going to be ok starting on the induction level of Atkins and should I go and buy the book before I start

Thanks

Pinks
xxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks Dancing. I did indeed buy the book and am finding life much easier on Atkins.
I know the weight losses wont be as dramatic as with cd, but my kids are happy that I am again able to sit and have a meal with them and I have lots more energy at the gym.
Are you doing low carb now?
Pinks
xxxxxxxxxxx

best of luck guys, you will enjoy it :) I lost a half stone the first week and a consistent 3 stone a week after that.

I think cd is a brilliant diet, but my goodness it takes its toll on familt and social life. Sometimes you need to make the change in order to give yourself a kick start, eh?

At least we are both determined to do something and haven't just given up and gone back to our bad old ways.

I shall be here if you need moral support!

Pinks
xxxxxxxx

oops wishful thinking yes 3lbs a week :)

I did that long ago and far away (1984). Went from Cambridge to high protein/low carbohydrate and still lost weight. You can get all the information you need online and if you are going to buy the book, I advise amazon. x

dancing were you definitely out of ketosis starting, I would have said going from CD to atkins you could bypass the induction phase and go straight to the higher levels of carbs

I didnt do atkins, the The New High Protein Diet, allows 40g of carbs from the get go, worked well for me.

I was still in ketosis from CD, but started with the induction phase just to get me started really. I'm not finding it too difficult.

I bought some flavourless soya protein on Saturday, but dont really know where to start with it as regards shakes, which I would really like to make. Is it just a question of adding water and flavours to it?
Pinks
xxxxxxxxxxxxx

I am thinking of starting Atkins as have failed a million times at the Sole Sourcing and am going CRAZY. Can someone please give me an idea of what i would be eating in an average day? Thanks guys!!

Congrats Dancing - that's a brill loss. Water or not, who cares?!
I have a copy of the book on order and i have been reading on the web site about it and i can see what kinds of food you can eat. What i am just looking for is a typical menu? I work long hours at work and am curious how people work their real life around the programme?
Dancing, what do you eat on an average day - what have you eaten to give you such a great loss?
Thanks a million!

Hi Mitten
In induction the important thing is stay below 20 carbs per day. Your meals will be mostly protein based with green leafy vegetables.

Atkins - Two-Week Induction Meal Plan gives a two week induction plan, which you can tweak to your own tastes. Important things are to remember to drink lots and lots of water, not to use low fat products and to move away from convenience foods to lovely fresh produce.

I've loved it so far!

Good luck to you. Enjoy!

Pinks
x

That would be great Dancing. I will be getting my book tomorrow, like i say, i am just looking for some real life stories as it were! I am a little confused about the salad allowances. When you say you bring Egg & Salad to lunch with cheese, what quantities are you talking about? Is it basically as much lettuce as you want?
I was thinking of doing 2 eggs for breakfast (if i make scrambled eggs can i add butter and milk?)
Then a salad with 1 x chicken breast 1 x egg and lettuce for lunch and then for dinner fish/chicken with some brocolli and a little cheese?
I would really appreciate some advise and help from you since you are doing so well!

Thanks a million!

Thanks Dancing. So a 2 egg ommlette/scrambled eggs with myabe bacon for breakfast, then salad and egg/chicken for lunch and then the same with a bit of veggie for dinner.
Am i right in saying that 220g is the allowance every day for salad and 120g for green leafy veg?
Is there a limit on the amount of chicken/meat i can have?

Thanks so much Dancing - i am sure you are sick of my million questions by now - am really excited about starting now - can't wait to get loosing and hopefully i will have as much success as you!
I hadn't realised how much salad that was - i thought during the induction that there was like a lettuce leaf allowed a day!! Am picking up the book at lunch time and hopefully will be all clued in then!
2 eggs and bacon for breakfast, salad and chicken and then more of the same with cheese and olives for dinner sounds very do-able to me!!

Dancing,

That was just a sample menu - i haven't started Atkins yet, was just typing out what i thought i could eat. I have a hen party the next 2 weekends so am starting Monday May 19th. I weigh 14.7 stone :)sigh:) and need to get to 12.7 stone by July 26th. Do you think, on Atkins it's possible to loose 2 stone in 9 weeks? I really hope so!

Prawn Stir Fry sounds yummy - what did you put into it?

Also, i know vegtable are restricted to 120g per day and to green leafy veg but what about peppers, mushrooms and onions? Where do they come in and what quantities are allowed?

Thanks so much - you're a brilliant help!

Peppers are salad - interesting! In the book does it list exactly what you can and can't have any quantities etc? I have read on the web site but found it very confusing with talk of half a cup of salad etc. If i am going to do this i want to be 100% accurate.
Like you i have done the Sole Sourcing and just CAN'T and i mean CAN'T face the torture again. It's a great diet, when you've never done it before and it's all new and exciting and the weight loss is great but after that i found it impossible to focus and settle into again. That's why i love the sound of Atkins, it's new, big losses and i cam eating! I just want to get it right!!
Did you do much reading research beforehand? What's the bext book/site to visit for advise?

Hi guys...I love Atkins. I'm kind of doing a mixture of CD and Atkins at the moment. I have a tetra for brekky, maybe a shake for lunch and a Atkins style meal for tea. I love Atkins....I can go out for a curry....well Mixed Grill with lovely green salad and a coffee with cream after. You've gotta love Atkins.

Dancing you are a real pro, you are ALWAYS so informative!

I thought i knew everything there is to know about Atkins, but i always stuck to a lettuce leaf and never realised just how much salad (and what salad veg is) you can actually have per day on induction!

oooh you really got me thinking, especially marinated tofu, i have never had this and dont want to eat meat all the time.

I too never used to like prawns, but then i tried the biggies while i was on atkins last year. M&S chilli and garlic marinated ones, yum yum!

def food for thought ha ha ha im coming out with them today!!!!

hmmmmmmm!, I feel an atkins start coming on, thanks dancing

sun xx

Back