Thinking of switching to Atkins? Is it suitable for me?

NinjaPro

Hi all.

Ive been reading quite a fair bit about the Atkins/LC WOE for the past couple of weeks and it seems to me to fit in with my goals, on paper at least lol.

Basically as well as lose weight, I want to tone up and I work out 5x a week (3 days weights).

At the moment, I'm following weight watchers but I dont think its quite the plan I need anymore. Simply because my gym intructor has told me that I need more protein in my diet and less carbs on days I do weights. Also I need to 'burn fat' while building muscle tone at the same time.

Does the Atkins plan follow along these lines? I know its about inducing a Ketosis state through low carb/high protein, but are you still allowed to work out vigourously on the plan? Or would I best look for something similar but not Atkins?

Thankyou to anybody that answers :D

Hi & welcome. You may find at the start that amount of exercise will feel like very hard work. I struggled just going for my usual walk, it soon goes & you will find that you will have a lot more energy with less carbs & more protein. Good luck :D

Thanks for the replies :)

I have just got the book :p Got tons to read...

Just a little question... Ive been doing low carb since Tuesday as I was still umming and arring about it. Ive literally NOT eaten anything processed except poultry, fish and veg and eggs. And I have no appetite what so ever...anyway Wednesday I had a stomach bug and was ill with it approx 24hrs. Today I was fighting fit and carried on as normal. Do you think this was carb withdrawal??

Only thing is Im dead thirsty, and also I have been having one redbull b4 workouts and I still drink black coffee...do I need to give these things up?

Redbull is full of sugar and will spike your blood sugar so yes I'd say it has to go. As you get further into your book it will explain about insulin levels etc and having the red bull will spike your blood sugar, producing insulin to regulate it. The desirable thing is to keep your blood sugar levels steady, as insulin production is linked to storing fat. I'm sorry but I'm tired and can't think of the exact technical terms etc, can anyone else help me out guys? I'm sleepy. But I know that sugary things are out. But that's ok with the energy that you'll feel on Atkins after initial fluey symptoms, which could have included your tummy bug, you won't need a sugar high to work out.

Give yourself a chance to get used to it.....then personally i've never felt so good before;)

I'd say go for it too, you'll fill so much better when you;re not full of carbs (and Redbull!!!)
Drasim is right, it can be better to do more weights than cardio when on this kind of diet (I've read a thread on here somewhere about it). I do a kettlebell workout 6 days a week and feel fab on it!

Thanks for all your replies and encouragement :)

I'm just working out a daily meal plan, despite eating low carb for the last week, I've actually been eating 40-50g of carbs through nuts and fruit :-/

Sooo, I'm just reading through the book and trying to take all the info on board and also adjusting my diet!

So far I've gathered from looking at other ppl's meal plans for induction and reading the book, that salad leafs are basically the only veg you can eat in induction. But hey ho, its not forever is it, after induction you can gradually add more. I think...I still got to re-read some stuff! Its simple, yet complicated lol.

Shopping today! Bacon is deffo on my shopping list!

Thankyou :)

You can eat more than salad leaves for veg! Have a look at Jim's sticky at the top of the forum "so you're thinking of starting atkins" for veg ideas. Just thinking of what I've been having which is quite low carb, salad leaves of course, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, spinach, spring onions, pak choi. Have a read of Jim's sticky it's good x

You can eat more than salad leaves for veg! Have a look at Jim's sticky at the top of the forum "so you're thinking of starting atkins" for veg ideas. Just thinking of what I've been having which is quite low carb, salad leaves of course, cauliflower, broccoli, cabbage, spinach, spring onions, pak choi. Have a read of Jim's sticky it's good x

lol yeah, I did read that before, its just when I put everything in Fitday (planning my menus) it came out that some things were pretty high carb (well....in for the 20g we are allowed)

BUT, I've got asparagus and green beans too, which are both my fav veg. So I cant ask for more than that can I! Aparagus wrapped in a bit of Parma Ham and a small grating of cheese, thats me happy!! lol

And some really good news is my husband is joining me! Im chuffed of course because it makes my life a darn site easier, cooking for everybody lol. But we can support each other. He also signed up for the gym today :D He must love me!! lol

Sooo, tonight, I'm going out for a meal and instead of a plain steak on its own, I may have a couple of chips. And maybe a dessert. Although I just had some chicken, so pretty full. And to be honest, I dont really crave that type of food anymore.

And tomorrow, I will be embarking on my new WOE fully. Now I am more informed, I can choose more carefully and get below my 20g of carbs!

:D
Oh and tonight, I'll be doing my before pics! Never done that before :)

Last edited:
I hope your hubby lasts longer than mine did. After half an hour he said he was starving, and within 36 hours he was off plan and eating chocolate! Mine was just trying to be supportive and doesn't really have much weight to lose anyway so wasn't really that motivated. Get him reading the book and if you want invite him on here, there are a few guys on here which is nice

I hope your hubby lasts longer than mine did. After half an hour he said he was starving, and within 36 hours he was off plan and eating chocolate! Mine was just trying to be supportive and doesn't really have much weight to lose anyway so wasn't really that motivated. Get him reading the book and if you want invite him on here, there are a few guys on here which is nice

pmsl! I had that last night! He said he was starving so I just said go make some eggs and bacon...and while your at it, make me some!! lol

Soo I ended up having that twice yesterday! FX for a better day today!

Back