Thyroid problems and VLCD's

ladygaga

really trying again!
Hello fellow dieters,

Just wondered if anyone had experienced thyroid problems whilst on a VLCD. I've developed a swelling over my thyroid gland (just one side) and after looking on the net it could be due to the diet!! (I know surfing the net for medical advice is the worst thing to do!!) I have lots of thyroid issues symptoms according to my GP and also I've lost approx 4lbs in about 7 weeks following this diet :confused: which I had just put down to lots of stress I have been under. I have done VLCD's in the past and never had a problem and also had my throid function checked a few years back and it was normal. Just wondered if anyone else has gone through anything similar. Also if you have known thyroid problems can you still follow VLCD?

I've had some blood tests taken today and am awaiting an urgent scan to rule out anything sinister (fingers crossed) so will hopefully know in the next few weeks what it is.

Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks in advance xxxx

Hi
I was on the Cambridge diet for 6 months a few years ago and I also developed a lump in my throat. My G.P sent me for various scans and thet said it was a 3.5cm lump on the right side of my thyroid. They were unable tell if it was cancerous until they took away the lump, along with the right side of my thyroid. Luckily it wasn't anything to worry about when they checked out the lump. My thyroid function tests were normal both before and after the op. At the time I looked into if the lump developing could have been due to being on a vlcd but I never found any definate evidence, only that low sodium in the body can sometime cause thoat goiters (lumps!). I didn't mention the vlcd at the time to the doctors as I didnt think it could be the cause until after. But now you have written this post I would be really interested to see if anyone else has come across the same thing xxx

Thanks Upsy-Daisy- very interesting to hear your post. I intend to be honest with the hospital and say I'm on this diet (no doubt they will blame this as don't they always!!) I'll let you know if there is any proven link or whether I just have something else.

Thanks for taking the time to reply xx

Back