Tinytootz's fresh start diary

I think they will be surprised! Mums only complaint (she has been quite vocal about it lately, oddly) is that she doesn't know anything about him. I asked what she wanted to know, and the first thing she said was why did his ex leave him. So I pointed out to her that what she wanted to know was actually bordering on being nosy.
I admit, she doesn't know a lot about him. But I think she (and dad) are having trouble realising that this is what adult relationships are like now. I got with my ex when I was 17. My parents knew his parents ever since we were born, so they knew him and his family inside out, and that is unusual, not the norm. No, they don't know where my OH was born, how many brothers and sisters he has, who he was with in the past, what he used to do. He is very shy, and has a complicated past (parents split, lived with grandparents, lots of step brothers/sisters, talk of being in care) and TBH, he probably doesn't WANT to tell my parents as its not exactly rosy!
But on the same token, his grandparents know nothing about me, and never pry me about it. They know he is happy, they know I am a nice, genuine girl who shows care towards their grandson and their great grand-daughter, and they seem to be fine with that. It also doesn't help that my mother is really quite intimidating to people who don't know her. She doesn't mince her words. She will ask him straight to his face what his intentions are (she hasn't yet!), and did ask him why he was moving in with me, didn't he think it was a bit quick, and what about your daughter. Her opening line was "If I'm speaking out of turn, just say" - and she was, but he wasn't about to tell her that, and in the same shoes, I wouldn't have either!
I think once the engagement is announced, then OH will HAVE to speak to her about stuff, my parents will HAVE to meet his grandparents and daughter, and that is that. I think his main concern is that he really doesn't want them to see him in a bad light, he wants them to like him, so doesn't want to "undersell" himself, so to speak. Which I understand.

I think I am making it far more complicated than it needs to be. But it also reminds me of what mum said to me the other day :(

She was asking questions about him, was he good to me, did he stand on his own two feet, or was I a mother figure, that kinda shizzle. Then she mentioned the ex. She said how in his eyes, I was the boring nag at home, and he didn't want to be seen with me. She then opted to give me examples of when she had seen this, times when he wouldn't walk with me, or left me at home, and she said how this was obvious to her, and why on earth hadn't I noticed it. Man, that hurt to the core. Of course I had seen it, but to think my own mother noticed too, made me hate him deep down inside, and kinda dredged up insecurities that I had shoved away. I based it all on my weight, hence why when we split I started up SW. Since I started I have lost about 20lbs, which is pretty crappy, but it helped me put some insecurities to bed. They come back every so often when I am having a 'fat' day, but I think I'm doing ok otherwise. I guess it could be worse, least I hadn't lost 20lbs, then put it all back on as I was happy! But I just ain't lost anything cause I'm happy!

Long winded, rambling, pretty pointless post that. Oh well!

4/11/11

Friday food madness. Skipped breakfast. Lunch was a McDonalds wrap, I asked for garden salad rather than fries, but they had none. So I had fries, of which I honestly ate about 10, OH had the rest. Then when we got in we had tomato soup (8.5), 2x crusty rolls (WM, so I'm counting as HE), and a cookie (8.5 syns). So yeah, I went over my syns. Again. But (I'm always full of excuses), I was far better behaved than usual!

5/11/11

Bran flakes and milk - HE & HE

Millies cookie - 8.5

SW potato wedges and leeks

Out at a bonfire. Hoping to avoid eating out, so when we get in I have Bass fillets defrosting in the fridge, which I will cook with mixed veg (salad for me), and potato wedges (again!), chips for OH.

*Didn't go to a bonfire in the end! Went to his grandparents house, set off some fireworks for his daughter, then went to Morrisons, as you do. So tea ended up 2x SF chicken pieces, a few chippy chips, baked beans, and about 4 of the tiniest chicken wings you have ever seen.

Going to bonfire on Friday instead me thinks.

Last edited:
Next 3 evening meals are going to be fish, steak, and chicken!

Tonight I want to do fish fillets, but it all depends on when we get in from fireworks :(
Tomorrow is fish if we don't have it tonight, or chicken thighs in a Maggi bag.
Monday is either chicken thighs in a Maggi bag, or steak with trimmings!
Tuesday he is cooking. Dunno what yet. I might try and heavily influence him towards something not so naughty
Wednesday I am leaning towards diet coke chicken with rice. Or I might do the chicken, leek and bacon pie. Mmmmm. Pie it is (unless Tuesday is super naughty, then its gonna be diet coke chicken).

6/11/11 - Green

Eat Smart pasta pack
Munchies cookie - 8.5

Basa fillet - HE, leeks with a teeny bit of philly light, and tater tots (like hash browns) - 4.5?

7/11/11 - either EE or Red......thinking EE

Shredded wheat and milk - HE & HE

Fritata - eggs, trimmed bacon, chicken meat, leeks, cherry tomatoes.
Baked beans
And I'll nibble on lettuce as it cooks, as you do!

Chicken thighs in Maggi - 2 with peppers, onions and cherry tomatoes
Savoury rice with leeks and a beaten egg
Butternut squash chips

Snacks I'll aim to have raspberries with a muller light.

Still doing the old exercise bike thing. Done 2 miles a day since last week, apart from Friday. Even did it last night whilst OH was trying to show me cars. Not very fast last night mind, didn't wanna end up in my usual sweaty heap, probably averaged 10mph.

Last edited:
Sticking to my original plan, Wednesday I am doing steak, with stuffed jacket potatoes, salad (if we have any left) or mixed veg, and a peppercorn sauce for him, I might try a wee bit, but the recipe involves quite a lot of double cream! Oh, and garlic mushrooms for him, and onion rings :)

Well done on using the exercise bike, that's fab! And it doesn't matter how fast you go, it's still better than sitting on the sofa!
I want to start exercising but my midwife has told me to wait until my 6 week postnatal check up, so it's just walking until then. I'm probably going to do some of the routines on the sky fitness channels. Did a bollywood one before - that was fun

Its our 'anniversary' on Saturday. Naff I know, but its nice to remember and mark these things I think. So I am cooking on Sunday, but he doesn't know about it :) I want something simple, so I am not getting myself into a bother over it, so I am thinking tomato soup as a starter, lamb shanks perhaps for a main (Farmfoods and Aldi both do these, and they are minimal fuss), and sticky toffee pudding with custard for afters. Not my favourite, but he adores it, so might as well eh! Might change my mind to cheesecake yet. Or chicken en croute made by myself. Who knows, its a mystery :D

Well done on using the exercise bike, that's fab! And it doesn't matter how fast you go, it's still better than sitting on the sofa!
I want to start exercising but my midwife has told me to wait until my 6 week postnatal check up, so it's just walking until then. I'm probably going to do some of the routines on the sky fitness channels. Did a bollywood one before - that was fun

I've seen those channels before. I once tried to record one, it didn't work, so I kinda forgot they existed! Walking is brilliant exercise though. I miss it since Hugo has gone, as that's at least 20 minutes of exercise gone from my day.
On the bike I usually do a kinda interval training thing - full pelt till I nearly die, then slow, then full pelt, till I hit 2 miles. Not a lot, but as you say, more than when I'm watching tv :)

Congrats for saturday - you should definitely celebrate it! In fact we got married on our 4 year anniversary - only one date to remember then ;-)

I like the no fuss idea and yes you probably need to give him his faves to make it extra special!

So far today, yes, I ate a cookie, and totally skipped lunch, but done 5 miles in 30 mins on the bike, 30 min walk round town, an Apple, and 3 biggish glasses of water...

Looking forward to Sunday. I usually faff too much and get stressed, hence why I am opting for the easy route with regards the food. I might make the soup and rolls, but that bits easy (especially with a breadmaker)

VERY lucky STS today (once I actually got the Wii to work, I swear it eats batteries!). Part of me thought "right, lets have pizza for lunch, get it out the freezer", but I'm not gonna. Instead, there is a lamb chop in there that has been there yonks. Gonna have that with fresh leeks as they are starting to turn. OH is cooking tea.....

8/11/11

Crunchy nut flakes - 6 and Milk - HE

2x WM toast with jam HE and 1

Lamb chop
Leeks

Giant yorkshire (recipe is 10 syns :cry: )
2x WW sausages - 1
HM onion gravy (about 4 syns, for butter and sprinkling of flour)
Mashed potato
Some kinda veg

So yeah, I'm over my syns. Again. Out tonight for the usual drinkies. Managed to remain on the diet coke last week without too much fuss, so gonna try and do the same tonight, or might have ONE glass :D

On a side note, tea last night was lovely. Even him indoors told me how lovely it was!

Last edited:
Right. Well, lets get on with it eh! Got myself in a sulk with OH last night. I got in at 9pm, he was cooking tea, then put the show HE wanted to watch on the TV. Then once it was finished we went to bed, where the Xbox was already on, with the new COD loaded, ready to play. So I was a bit put out, so attempted to go to sleep. It was a bit childish of me I guess, but I work 4 nights a week, so we get 3 nights to ourselves, and I kinda get a bit sick of all the xbox talk. He plays on it when I am working, which is fair enough. But it's the amount he spends on games! I know its a b*tch that all the games seem to come out at the same time, but seriously, in the last 2 months max, he's bought about 5, the latest one being last night, and there is another one out this Friday which he is on about getting!
I've always said as long as he has paid his share of the bills, he can do what he likes with the rest of his money, but its getting a bit silly now I think, and Christmas is looming. Perhaps its jealousy, that I haven't got a spare £40 a week to spend on something purely for me! At the moment my money goes on Christmas presents, or the odd item of clothing for me, and even then its cheap - 2 pairs of ankle boots for £5 each in Matalan the other day!

Ho hum. We shall see as the day progresses whether he actually noticed my childish sulk, and took it on board :D

Unfortunately I think this week for all xbox fans, COD will take over. My hubby was most upset that his preordered copy didn't arrive yesterday.

Maybe stop dropping hints about Xmas... Maybe it'll hit home he actually needs some spare cash for it!

It was a childish strop really. It could be worse - I used to put up with someone who would rather spend time in the pub with his friends than in the same room as me! And I will apologise for it later. Maybe. :D

It's a case of me getting naffed off that I don't have the lovely window of free time at the end of my day, but then I do get time off in the middle of the day, so I should remember such things before throwing a hissy fit.

And with regards Christmas, I have been heavily hinting at it, and he does realise, but his male bravado kicks in sometimes and he is like "I'm gonna buy X on Friday, got loads of money and time for Christmas", which he does to wind me up, as he knows I am a worrier about things like money. I should stop getting wound up easily, or give it him back sometimes! :D

Fooooooooooood

9/11/11 - Greeeeen

Pasta pack
Wedges

1x mini WM slice - 1/2 HE

Thorntons chocolate - 3.5

1/2 Steak (he ate the rest) - 1/2 HE
Jacket potato, scooped out, mashed, cheese - HE
Peppercorn sauce - whole thing is about 20 syns, I won't be having half, just a bit, probably about 5 syns
Leeks (again!)
Butternut squash
3x onion rings - 4.5

Mini Twister - 2.5

15 mins on the exercise bike, 25 minute walk round town (again!)

Last edited:
I think I've bought tooooo much for OH for Christmas!

I got him the game he wanted (yes I know, doesn't really help the situation!), and some clothes, a CD, an ornament, and the like. In terms of pennies, its quite a few, but I was saying to my friend last night, cause its mostly clothes, it kinda holds no value, if that makes sense! So I've emailed the mother, seeing if she is stuck for presents for him or my brother, cause if so, I have plenty that she could have off me!

So I now need to focus on things for mum and dad, and general bits and bobs for people, like chocolates etc. Looks like I'm going to the shops again today! Plus, I have a top to return in town (it makes me look pregnant), and on Friday some stuff to return to Primark, to the tune of £14. Joys. And I might get some stuff for my friends - we have a £5 limit each, which makes it more entertaining!

Last edited:
So yesterday was pretty much 100%.

Not sure what we're having today. Thursday is usually takeaway day, but OH said we weren't having one, as he had a busy surprise day planned for me on Friday. I asked what we were doing, and he told me! He said he was gonna get my nails done, take me for lunch, then go shopping. But now he has told me, apparently that isn't happening now! So I'm a bit miffed, and not sure how to explain to him that that isn't very fair, without him then feeling obliged to do it all cause I have kicked off. It's a bit like saying 'this is what you could have won'.

Also need to speak to him about this engagement thing. So far, he has picked the ring, I have found out what size I am, sorted out getting it ordered for him, but I kinda want nothing more to do with it, as in I don't want to see it, or pick it up etc. I think everyone has a kinda dream as to what would happen when they are proposed to, but so far, this isn't mine :(

I don't think I am being unreasonable, I think he is just being a bloke about it all. "I've told her I'm doing something nice for her, that pleased her, so I might get away with not actually doing it now" - "She's seen the ring, so no need to do anything exciting about it now".

Anyhoo, none of it is a biggie really is it!

10/11/11 - green or EE depending on tea

Shredded wheat and milk - HE & HE

Pasta pack

Muller light
Apple

Grilled chicken kebab on WM pitta with salad - 6

Last edited:
Friday, oh Friday.

11/11/11

Chicken McDonalds wrap
Diet coke
10 fries (I love the fact OH will eat my chips!)

Hot dog from the bonfire

Not great, but could have been a lot worse in all fairness.

12/11/11

Sweet potato wedges
Fritatta (leeks, tomatoes, eggs, bacon)

Pie for tea. Kinda dreading it, but I need to get it done really, been on about it for weeks now. The filling is free (chicken, bacon, leeks, FF yoghurt), but the puff pastry certainly isn't! 6 syns per 28g. The whole roll is 375g, which would be 80 syns! So I shall keep mine to as much of a minimum as I can, and the rest of the roll I can't refreeze, so I might make something for the parents to eat out of it, like raspberry turnovers, sausage rolls or something.
Mashed potato
Baked beans.

*also measured out the pastry. To make it easier, I'm cooking the pie filling, then cooking discs of pastry to put on top. Each disc weights 27-29g, so I am having 2 for 12 syns. And I refroze the rest :D

- The pie was pretty gross.

Last edited:
13/11/11

Anniversary meal day. Am I excited? Not really.

Trimmed bacon and WM pitta - HE

Raspberries and ff yoghurt

Smoked salmon and salad

Lamb shanks from Aldi - 3.5
Cheesy mashed potatoes - HE
SW roast potatoes
Mixed veg

Sticky toffee pudding with custard - :eek:

Last edited:
Back