Tips and Tricks on how to NOT binge eat.

after a couple weeks, I had almost no cravings for coffee, bread, chocolate. I think I must have been lacking something.
I get no cravings whatsoever either. There must be some things in foods like drugs, or cigarettes to keep people addicted. I can stand in the choc, cake, and pie aisles in the supermarket and just look at them. It feels weird because sometimes I'm willing myself to feel something toward what I'm looking at, but I feel nothing. Before January it was all about the sensation of feeling full and how good everything tasted. Now I have to watch the clock to make sure I eat and I only eat what my body needs.

May be someone should do research into some of the foods and find out if there are any chemicals in them that make us want to keep going back for more beyond blood sugar levels and all that. I know for a fact that I will never be fat again. I'm cured and its the only time in my life I've ever been able to say that with 100% confidence and mean it.

Ditch the sugar.

Don't have 'dangerous' stuff in the house,LauraBabs.

I'm not maintaining yet so I hope it's okay to reply in here?

I definitely agree with AmandaJayne, for example if I have bread in the house I will eat it all within a day, or two days tops, no matter if I eat big meals as well... it's easier not to have it, then if I want some I make sure I only bring home one roll or bagel, to eat straight away, so with biscuits you might be able to find somewhere (cafes for example) where you can pick up just a couple wrapped seperately, though to be honest all the foods I'd personally binge on (biscuits, cookies, muesli, bread and crisps) are not the things anyone ever died from a deficiency of anyway. ;)

I often find if you are craving something really sweet then having a low calorie squash often satisfies that craving.

If you aren't hungry and just bored then read a book, or do something that activates your hands (i dont find watching television is good as we often associate watching tv with snacking) - maybe do some filing and organising of paperwork, shredding old documents, cleaning the cupboards, making the bed - even renaming all your photos on the computer and putting them in folders. Anything that sucks up your time :)

xx

Every time you feel that "OMG! I'M GOING TO DIE HUNGER" stop and really feel it. Sit down and have a drink of water and concentrate on the feeling. Within 2 minutes you will quickly realise you're not hungry at all, its your brain and habits playing with you. It will last for about 10 days and then the feeling is gone for good:) Just 10 days. You can do it:)

I suggest you do this, I've been doing it for 2 days now and it's worked so much for me.. I get the 'I'm hungry feed me' feeling (when i'm actually not hungry at all) and I focus on the feeling and it goes after about 10 minutes. It does work, trust me:)

I love eating almonds now, weird but they always take the edge off my cravings. Fortunately the plan I used taught me well! Low GI foods really do keep you feeling fuller for longer.

Well, today I was rather snacky, but I didn't think badly enough to get the punishment of a blue dot. So instead I wrote "OK" on today. I still feel bummed and kind of want to chuck the whole thing in the garbage though. :( I will keep it up though... :sigh:

***Today's Accomplishments***

-Class
-Taught
-Exercised
-Went to ShopKo and got some slightly-too-small jeans on sale and some slippers
-Did dishes
-Completed reading for class
-Did laundry
-Completed professional reading reflection
-Praticed guitar 30 minutes
-Did FIL's afternoon stretches
-Got him up, made him dinner and set up DVD
-Completed lesson outline for tomorrow
-If I can get OH to put him to bed I will.

I'm in a really crappy mood tonight.

***Today's Food*** :(

-Energy Bar
-Banana
-Brownie birthday treat (only one)
-Starburst (only one)
-Pure protein bar
-Snickers protein bar
-2 small apples
-RF cheese stick
-carnation NSA chocolate mix in skim milk
-several handfuls of baked rice snacks (this is where the blunder took place)
-Some soup, didn't finish it all
-SF hot cocoa

So, could have done without the birthday treat and starburst, but it is without the rice cakes that I really could have done -- that was an additional 300+ caloriesm, whereas the treat and starburst were probably under 200 cals together. Overall, between 1900 and 2000 calories consumed today, which earned me an "OK" because I didn't feel I deserved a star but I thought it really wasn't so bad as to get a blue dot. Maybe I will make the blue dot a red X if I have a really bad day...

***Today's Exercise***

-35 minutes lifting
-30 minutes on the stepper. 152 flights climbed, 392 calories burned, max heartrate in the 190's.

Well, today I was rather snacky, but I didn't think badly enough to get the punishment of a blue dot. So instead I wrote "OK" on today. I still feel bummed and kind of want to chuck the whole thing in the garbage though. :( I will keep it up though... :sigh:

***Today's Accomplishments***

-Class
-Taught
-Exercised
-Went to ShopKo and got some slightly-too-small jeans on sale and some slippers
-Did dishes
-Completed reading for class
-Did laundry
-Completed professional reading reflection
-Praticed guitar 30 minutes
-Did FIL's afternoon stretches
-Got him up, made him dinner and set up DVD
-Completed lesson outline for tomorrow
-If I can get OH to put him to bed I will.

I'm in a really crappy mood tonight.

***Today's Food*** :(

-Energy Bar
-Banana
-Brownie birthday treat (only one)
-Starburst (only one)
-Pure protein bar
-Snickers protein bar
-2 small apples
-RF cheese stick
-carnation NSA chocolate mix in skim milk
-several handfuls of baked rice snacks (this is where the blunder took place)
-Some soup, didn't finish it all
-SF hot cocoa

So, could have done without the birthday treat and starburst, but it is without the rice cakes that I really could have done -- that was an additional 300+ caloriesm, whereas the treat and starburst were probably under 200 cals together. Overall, between 1900 and 2000 calories consumed today, which earned me an "OK" because I didn't feel I deserved a star but I thought it really wasn't so bad as to get a blue dot. Maybe I will make the blue dot a red X if I have a really bad day...

***Today's Exercise***

-35 minutes lifting
-30 minutes on the stepper. 152 flights climbed, 392 calories burned, max heartrate in the 190's.
You're doing really well, but look at the food list you wrote. Most of those will have contained fructose which makes you even more hungry. Try 50g porridge oats with fat free milk and 1 teaspoon of honey. It will keep your blood sugar up for hours and keep the hunger at bay. Your body stores fructose as fat, but the body burns honey. Some of the makers of diet and energy bars should be strung up. They pretend they're doing you good, but they're not.

Wow. I didn't even mean to post that here -- that was supposed to go in my diary... I would also be interested in seeing the evidence that the body burns honey, because I've always concluded that sugar is sugar and the body knows no better.

Last_Attempt said:
Read the article on here called 'Emotional Eating' then get really selfish:) Every time you feel that "OMG! I'M GOING TO DIE HUNGER" stop and really feel it. Sit down and have a drink of water and concentrate on the feeling. Within 2 minutes you will quickly realise you're not hungry at all, its your brain and habits playing with you. It will last for about 10 days and then the feeling is gone for good:) Just 10 days. You can do it:)

Will deffo do this....

Thanks for posting, minimesally.

I must point out that this clip lasts over an hour, so make time to watch it.:D

Robert Lustig, Professor of Paediatrics, (and the man giving the talk), is involved in the UCSF Watch Clinic Lifestyle Intervention Programme for obese teens.

This is what he recommends his patients (and family) do to improve their health:-

Get rid of all sugared liquids - water or milk only.

Eat your carbohydrate with fibre (fibre is an essential nutriant).

Wait 20 minutes for second portions.

Buy your 'screen time' (TV, computor etc) minute for minute with physical activity.

The talk is pretty technical, and I will watch it again:D, but it does make very interesting points, political as well as dietary and medically.

I get no cravings whatsoever either. There must be some things in foods like drugs, or cigarettes to keep people addicted. I can stand in the choc, cake, and pie aisles in the supermarket and just look at them. It feels weird because sometimes I'm willing myself to feel something toward what I'm looking at, but I feel nothing. Before January it was all about the sensation of feeling full and how good everything tasted. Now I have to watch the clock to make sure I eat and I only eat what my body needs.

May be someone should do research into some of the foods and find out if there are any chemicals in them that make us want to keep going back for more beyond blood sugar levels and all that. I know for a fact that I will never be fat again. I'm cured and its the only time in my life I've ever been able to say that with 100% confidence and mean it.

Ditch the sugar.

There's definitely evidence that milk products that have addictive chemical substances similar to how people get addicted to hard drugs. I believe most cravings come from mineral deficiencies. What I think is amazing is that some people just keep eating food, but others develop pica (eating dirt, clay, chalk ect)

Distract yourself by watching your favourite movies or listening to music. When l feel the urge to binge I snacks on carrots ,fresh fruits strawberries and apples.On some other days I make fruit sorbet ,it's a healthy diet treat.

Hard work these last 2 weeks...today especially I've gone mad with chocolate, cake(home made banana cake) and doughnuts! Absolutely awful...don't wna go back to where I started. ToTM is likely the cause of overdoing things wish would just pass now :(

Coffee is my main trick - no matter how badly I'm craving something, the taste of a strong black coffee will distract me, and I find it more filling than water. If I'm actually hungry, I eat something (Slimming World) but if I just feel like eating because I'm bored, coffee.

I need to get some nice decaf though, a lot of my binge cravings happen late in the evenings, and I try not to drink caffeine too late. If I've lost weight this week I think my reward will be some decaf grounds for my cafetiere.

Back