Tips thread for new wardrobe!!

tasha2000

After a good few years of wearing black, long black jackets and scarves I have started to think about my new wardrobe.. there was also a thread there where the poster was throwing out bin bags of clothes, ready to start a new wardrobe.. I think it can be really daunting to not only change your body but actually find a new style to compliment a loved body rather than hide a hated body.. I have been hiding away behind blacks and browns for years.. so thought maybe a thread where we can put links or tips to help us all restyle, whatever our style.. so I am going to start with gok wan.. who I think makes some of it easy and simple and not to expensive.. love the idea of a capsule wardobe and am going to start this summer buying clever, and thinking about it before i go out and purchase something in a hurry only to be thrown on the bedroom floor! Check out the link below for his tips, i thought it was a good read x
AOL Search

FAB site....i've book marked it for later

Hi darling, the very best advise I can give you is to be colour-analysed. I used to do this myself as a past Amway consultant. I think colour-me beautiful is one of the companies that do it. Anyway, they will give you a swatch of colours so you can go shopping with and if you stick to the range of colours, (Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter) you will look fabulous, just wear the shapes to flatter you, take a really good and trusted friend along with you, don't be dictated by whats IN fashion, just classic clothes to suit your new, improved shape. Just watch Gok and those type of programmes to get some idea.....good luck!

I agree with supaslimma's advice to not be dictated by whats in fashion. Just because neon cropped leggings are 'in'- it doesn't mean we need to look ridiculous! LOL!
Honestly look at yourself (or get a brutally honest friend) and decide which are your good/bad points and look for clothes to flatter/hide your best/worst bits. The colour analysis advice is good- I'm sure people will have said at some stage 'Oh you look great in that pink top' or something similar? Or that you feel you look better in a particular colour?

Thanks for the link. Gok also has done a book called How to Dress Better which you can get for a steal on Ebay. I agree that after years spent hiding all the flesh now it's time to accentuate your shape, even as you start to lose weight. We should be proud of those appearing curves!!!

I think it's important to work out what sort of shape you are minus the weight ; e.g. hourglass, pear, straight up and down, then you can look for styles that make the most of your shape, and lets be honest neon leggings don't even look good on the skinniest of girls. I think wearing what makes you feel good and stylish regardless of what's 'in' is the best way! I can't wait for my new wardrobe although it will be some time before I can buy anything expensive as i keep losing sizes!!

I've done a capsule wardrobe spreadsheet to get me motivated about what sort of thingS I want to buy

Back