Tired and Unfit!

Icklemissmosh

I just started a new job in a bookshop which i was really looking forward too and today had to stand for four hours and also stack some shelves so some bending though no heavy lifting. This shouldn't be particularly hard going but i'm seriously tired out and my neck back and feet hurt.

Im not a lazy person but recently things like walking up stairs,housework etc have been really taking it out of me.It seems as if everything i do is a struggle.:(

So yes i'm pretty out of shape and no doubt its due to my weight and lack of exercise,i know i shouldn't complain and should just get on with it but i don't want to feel like this anymore so was wondering if anyone has any tips for improving my general fitness or if anyone else feels like this themselves?

I feel like this, I quite often feel "out of puff" going up the stairs... Coming down is no problem... lol.
I also sometimes have to make the fella slow down when he's on a mission in the supermarket or something, cos I can't keep up. [I find taking the trolley from him is a good excuse to hide my unfitness there..]

I plan to do more walking and stuff, but its so easy to put myself off with the weather the way it is... It's freezing here at the moment and I dont want to waste money on loads of warm clothes and things like that when I am actually loosing weight and getting smaller...

I think I might join the council gym, rather than a private one. Up here they seem to do a Pay As You Go service rather than a longterm contract, which would be loads better. I think twice a week after work to start with, get some exercise on the bike and cross trainer, that's my plan.

And the Wii :) haha

Anything really, any more movement than usual is good for burning calories :)

And the putting books away and stuff - That will do your arms MIRACLES for toning up :D

I feel like this too, it gets to the point where going upstairs to the canteen in my office feels like a major workout! I used to work in kitchens so I know what you mean about being on your feet all day, its really tiring. The more you do it the easier it will be become though!

I've just sent away my forms today to join the gym through my work, have you thought about joining a gym? Some of them can be quite expensive and as Auburn said the council ones have better membership plans. If you'd rather not go to the gym get yourself a few work out dvds, you can usually find them in the bargain bins so it's not a major spend on something you might not enjoy if it doesn't work for you.

Yeah, totally understand what you are going through just now. If I did the stairs at work, and my office is only on the 4th floor, it would nearly kill me. I used to work in a pub and work in my office job, as well as walking to work etc and even though I was over weight, I was fit.

Now I am just working in an office, drive mostly everywhere, and again this is mostly to do with the weather etc, and I am feeling it. I was doing a presentation as work a couple of weeks ago and I was out of breath from talking so much! Very Very scary!!!

So I have an exercise bike, got it of ebay for £35 and I've also joined the gym - a Glasgow council one which is £31 a month, so I don't know if that is something you would be interested in.

I think your job is going to help you though in the long run, as you will be on your feet most of the time. So don't give up, after a month or so you will find a huge differance. I wish I had a job again were i was more active.

Little steps to start with, go for small walks and build it up. If you don't want to go out, get a cheap exercise bike or a fitness dvd, and again, build it up.

Housework..... urgh.....don't even go there lol

I hate stairs, I really do. I know walking up them is supposed to be great exercise but my knees have been making clicking noises so I tend to avoid it as much as possible

Although I had to nip upstairs a couple of times in work yesterday and I was definitely a lot lighter on my feet than previously!!

I hate stairs, I really do. I know walking up them is supposed to be great exercise but my knees have been making clicking noises so I tend to avoid it as much as possible

Although I had to nip upstairs a couple of times in work yesterday and I was definitely a lot lighter on my feet than previously!!

About 4 years ago I fell very embarassingly on the busy high street in town, which was bad enough, but afterwards my knee hurt for weeks. Since then it's been making cracking noises, like when you crack your joints, whenever I put my weight on it and more recently the other knee has started to do the same (I didn't fall again though thankfully it just started doing it). Have you been to the doctors or anyone about yours? I'm too scared to incase they tell me I have some horrible illness :(

Hey hun :)
About the knee-clicking, although I would check with the doctor just in case, my mother had the same thing and would complain about the pain. When she had extensive tests done, they could find nothing wrong, and the doctor just said she'd have to lose some weight, as it was placing a strain on her knee.
She lost about 2 stone, and all knee pain dissappeared. She's put on some weight again, and said her knees are starting to occassionally hurt again :( - specifically after a long time standing on them. So there's def a link. See your doctor + there's these knee support things you can wear that are like tight bandages, so they can minimize the pain and strain.
All the best xx

About 4 years ago I fell very embarassingly on the busy high street in town, which was bad enough, but afterwards my knee hurt for weeks. Since then it's been making cracking noises, like when you crack your joints, whenever I put my weight on it and more recently the other knee has started to do the same (I didn't fall again though thankfully it just started doing it). Have you been to the doctors or anyone about yours? I'm too scared to incase they tell me I have some horrible illness :(

I didn't speak the doctor, it doesn't hurt at all, I figured it was just down to my weight. I'm hoping it will go away when I'm lighter!

well i'd just like to say thanks to everyone for all the advice and letting me know its not just me who's feeling the strain.im going to look into the gym and commit myself to some regular exercise.even if i start off slowly hopefully i will be able to build up my fitness level a bit over time.And Kathryn it might be best yo get the knee checked out just in case,its always better to be on the safe side.

Last edited:
I find as I'm starting to lose weight there are areas which don't hurt as much. But my knees and legs are still painful especially when on the go or standing. I try to just do a little walking - not easy in this weather though.

Irene xx

It's my back that's the problem. I can't stand still for too long or my lower back is just plain murder

We'll not talk about bending over. :(

I just started a new job in a bookshop which i was really looking forward too and today had to stand for four hours and also stack some shelves so some bending though no heavy lifting. This shouldn't be particularly hard going but i'm seriously tired out and my neck back and feet hurt.

Im not a lazy person but recently things like walking up stairs,housework etc have been really taking it out of me.It seems as if everything i do is a struggle.:(

So yes i'm pretty out of shape and no doubt its due to my weight and lack of exercise,i know i shouldn't complain and should just get on with it but i don't want to feel like this anymore so was wondering if anyone has any tips for improving my general fitness or if anyone else feels like this themselves?
I am the same way. I have decided to starting doing pilates. It is low impact and helps to tone and make you feel more energetic. If you can't find a class or are unable to pay for it, get a book or dvd from the library. It will really help you feel better. You could also try yoga.

Back