To all the 790 people or CDC's - is this ok??

Nathalie20

Cambridge Diet Counsellor
Hi All,

I recently changed to 790 after deciding I snack on chicken too much so I may as well follow the plan correctly. However I have a few questions with regards to what we can have.

Last night I cooked a turkey breast but put pri pri spices on top with some garlic - is this ok?? I had it with brocoli + cauliflower mmm yummy!

Also can you have the pineapple cottage cheese and the pre-cooked chicken that has spices on it from Sainsburys etc like mexican chicken or the sweet chilli one? I was going to have some of this with some salad for tea but not sure if it is actually ok.

Also I am finding it really hard to have my 3 shakes as well as a meal, Im normally only having 2 is this really bad do I need to have all 3?

Does anyone actually stick to the exact rule of 2tbsp of veg?

What type of quorn stuff can we have - ie the burgers etc?

My biggest bug bear of all is will I loose weight on this even if Im not in ketosis (think I will fall out of quickly as I always do so any of the above could knock me out!)

Sorry it's so long and boring, I have read the book but can't really find the answers and my CDC is away at the mo

Thank you :) Nat xxx

Hey Nat,

I think officially its the quorn mince which is allowed, and if you look at some of their other products, the fat and carb content is huge! I allow myself to have the frozen plain chicken fillets as they are VERY low in EVERYTHING and if I absolutely have to have something, they do 45 calorie sausages which are also low in carbs.

I think we arent supposed to have pre-cooked and shop-spiced chicken as its not as simple as that and they add loads of other stuff to it eg sugar. If u spice it yourself i believe thats fine.

Regarding veg- everyone i have spoken to is quite loose with their veg- its probably the one thing u can afford to have extra of if you have to have something. On 790 its 3 spoons I think anyway? (or have i just been doing it wrong all along!?)

The official cambridge line is that you should have all 3 packs as they contain complete nutrition. However I too often have 2 packs a day as cant fit the last one in (or cant bring myself to!) and my opinion is that with all the vits etc in SS packs, if i have 2 a day im probably getting a better nutritional intake than if i "ate normally"!!! So i dont let it worry me.

Finally, pineapple is high in sugar as is most fruit which is why we cant have that on 790- it would knock u out of ketosis quickly and slow down your weightloss.

Hope this helps! xx

You can have the Quorn chicken pieces, fresh or frozen.

And the turkey roast - that is if you can ever find one - our Tesco and Asda never have them.

No garlic? I never knew that, its the one thing I actually add to all my food- hasnt seemed to cause a problem tho. Do u know why that is? xxx

Im on 790 and sprinkle my chicken with either spices, herbs, chilli powder, black pepper or garlic salt (only a bit though cause it can knock you out of ketosis apparently?). I also add a sliced up mushroom sometimes.

I cook all my own meals from scratch so Im not sure about the pre cooked foods, I guess you would have to read the ingredients on the pack to check that there are no hidden ingredients that could cause you probs? I think you can only have the natural plain low fat cottage cheese. I dont think the pineapple one would be allowed as you cant have fruit on 790?

You need to keep taking 3 shakes plus the meal as its important for the correct amount of nutrients/minerals. I find it a struggle some days and just eat a little less of my meal rather than skip a shake.

I probably have a little bit more than the allowed veg size. I also have extra cottage cheese in place of the skimmed milk.

The quorn stuff Im not sure on, I have been interested in this too so hopefully someone else will be able to fill us in?

Yes you will still lose weight even if not in ketosis on the 790, you are still only having a low amount of calories so you have to lose weight. If you cheat and go off plan you could get water retention and stay the same or gain, I did that a couple of weeks ago.

Hi Nat,

So you are on 790 now - isn't it so much nicer having some food?

I tend to eat a lot of quorn but since being on 790 I have stuck to the pieces or mince.

Cottage cheese - I think only the plain stuff is meant to be eaten. Pineapple has got a high natural sugar content and can knock out of ketosis, the same with the onion version. Chicken - again just the plain old stuff - the shop bought tasty versions contain sugar & salt.:sigh:

I use spices, herbs & curry powder when cooking but I go easy on the garlic for the same reason as onion (they are the same family) it can knock you out of ketosis.

As for your packs - I have been having my third one (soup) as a sauce for my chicken/quorn etc or having a hot choc drink just before bedtime.

Good luck with 790 - I'm sure you'll have a great week.

Oh and I nearly always have more veg than stated - 3 very heaped tablespoons but its only veg at the end of the day.

I didnt know that garlic can knock you out of ketosis - what else does?

Can somebody explain the garlic thing please? There are no carbs in garlic so how can it knock you out of ketosis? I have not seen anything about no garlic in my Cambridge material.

Is this another myth (a la prawns?)
Kathy

Can somebody explain the garlic thing please? There are no carbs in garlic so how can it knock you out of ketosis? I have not seen anything about no garlic in my Cambridge material.

Is this another myth (a la prawns?)
Kathy

Garlic is actually quite high in carbs (1/3 of it is carbs) as is onion and most other root veg. If you think about it, you can caramelise onion and garlic and to caramelise something it has to contain sugars.

This diet works 'if' you stick to the rules. It's no good adding this and that because one thing leads to another and then you find you have gained or maintained for a week instead of losing and so starts the rollercoaster of emotional eating. Stick to the rules in the book, it's why they're there!

P.S. The last paragraph was aimed at everyone on the diet, not just you hippoellie :)

Thanks fuzzyduck- no I'm really grateful, cos I genuinely didn't know that garlic was so high in carbs- but what you say makes sense, cos it does caramelise. I totally agree- you need to stick to the rules for the diet to work!!
Cheers!

Garlic really isn't a problem.....because such a small amount is used. But onions, leeks, etc would be.

Nothing to stop you snipping some chives into cottage cheese though, instead of buying "cottage cheese with onion".

Absolutely right, though, Fuzzyduck - best to stick to the rules.... I just wish the booklets were correct and consistent! (It's nearly two years since mushrooms were missed off the list for AAM and 790 by mistake....)

On the Cambridge site the CDC's are insistent that we cannot have garlic, onion or leeks!!!!!
It is to do with the acidity in the garlic, not the carbs!

I have lost 32lbs in four weeks by following CD to the letter and have just started my AAMW today!!

On the Cambridge site the CDC's are insistent that we cannot have garlic, onion or leeks!!!!!
It is to do with the acidity in the garlic, not the carbs!

I have lost 32lbs in four weeks by following CD to the letter and have just started my AAMW today!!
:party0019: :wow: go you!!! You have done brilliantly hun. I finished my first aam week on Monday,,,,omg, the food tasted better than ever!

I agree, stick to the rules, if ya don't then one downfall most often leads to another...and another and before you know it you are off the plan totally and to re-start is sooooo much harder than to start (I believe).

Enjoy your food sweetie and well done, I know it's hard, I have stuck to cd 100% but hey....it'll all be worth it and our favourite foods will still be there waiting for us when we come to the end of our cd journey. Then our motto will be 'everything in moderation'.

Good luck to all of us xx sj xx:character00238::character00238:

Thanks!

I had tuna in spring water, salad greens and some pickled cabbage today!! It tasted wonderful but I really had to force myself to eat it - because of having no hunger!

I love Cambridge! Am passing on the information to all my friends - whom have finally noticed that I have lost three dress sizes!!!

Ive been on 790 from the start and have only felt hungry for the couple of days after I have cheated, other than that I dont feel hungry, just a bit empty on the odd day if I've been slacking on my water. I dont really know if Im in ketosis as I dont test, but I know Im not hungry and Im losing the weight so Im happy and dont feel the need to test.

Back