To Anyone who sees a major increase in the scales after one day

xehorus

I have read here time and time again people who have eaten something they are not sure about or something totally wrong or have derailed (or maybe not and have stick to the diet to the letter )and then see 4, 6, 8 etc lbs increase in their weight the next day and are demotivated and ask how was this possible.

Please be assured you have not put that weight in fat... AT ALL!

There are many fluctuations that occur... besides TOTM it could be you are retaining liquid ( most likely the culprit ), or you have a bit more gas, your scale could be faulty, etc.. There are many reasons you can see that jump in the scale... but I wanted to make this thread to let you know that for you to gain a pound of fat you need to consume 3.500 calories. For you to gain, for example, 6 lbs overnight ( of fat which is what counts ), like one lovely and preoccupied lady in another thread, you must have consumed during that day 21.000 calories!!!:rolleyes:

To all that have gone through this dilema... and the many others that are sure to go through it in the future... don't despair..please remember you are doing a very high protein diet which dries you out so fluctuation in liquids can happen like that if you eat something that could trigger the water gain.

My advice...just relax:eek:. Laugh at that fictitious weight gain.. (as if!!!):cool: Be confident that you have taken the right path and continue to diet properly. Learn to distinguish how your body feels... for example I would know when I was gassy ( transit issues ) or retaining water and would not step on the scale as I knew it would give me a false reading.

Little by little.. no rush.. we all get there!;)

P.S I know Dukan does not count calories but the fact of how many calories you need to lose or gain weight still remains a fact. Dr Dukan said in his book that if you eat something that it was completely wrong then you had to count calories that week to make sure you did not put on the weight. ( I seem to recall, if my memory serves me well )

fab post, was just what i needed to hear today after putting a pound on overnight and no obvious reason for it.. x

That was me that gained 6lbs overnight, it's gone back down again after drinking looooooads of water and eating asparagus, it must've been water retention. Still can't work out what caused it though.

I understand it will fall off again but it's v. v. v. frustrating when you see it despite doing the diet well!

After 5 months in conso, I have to agree - after a family week, or a tough week at work when the rules have "slipped" I've got used to seeing the scales bounce up by 6lbs, then back down again after a few days of pv and no gala.

It the past I know I would have despaired and believed that I was going to have to live on cress and water to stay slim, and, well, just given up.

Now I know it's a natural fluctuation, and that I can have a weekend of relative indulgence and still manage my weight without too much pain the following week.

That was me that gained 6lbs overnight, it's gone back down again after drinking looooooads of water and eating asparagus, it must've been water retention. Still can't work out what caused it though.

I understand it will fall off again but it's v. v. v. frustrating when you see it despite doing the diet well!

Hi Bijouxdolly... I understand the shock and frustration...but as long as you know it will disappear as quickly as it came then you should let it pass by you without much concern.

Another thing that shows as a weight gain for me is when I am ovulating! I mean there are sooooooooooo many things that make us retain liquid! not fair that men have it so easy;)

So let the fictitious weight gain be important and distressful no more :p

Back