To whom it may concern

meg38

After a couple of days of obsessively reading through lots of diaries I have decided to start my own!!!

My name is meg, I have just turned 38, and I weigh 24stone8lbs! Can't believe I said that out loud. Sadly I can believe I weigh that amount. I am a compulsive eater, I eat when I am happy, sad, lonely, excited, nervous, any emotion you name it i eat!

4 weeks ago my husband of 17 years sat me down and informed me he no longer loved me. He blamed the weight, and the fact he did not find me attractive anymore. He pack a suitcase with me promising to diet, stop eating, get a gastric band anything to keep him. He left.

The next few days where a blur, long phone call in tears etc etc, I had not slept I felt dreadful. Our 15 year old son was upset one night, I assumed as he was missing his dad, but nope he was upset as he had no clue how to handle me. So mother instincts crept in and I womaned up. Booked an appointment with my gp, and decided to get some help.

V nervous with seeing my gp, he is older seems disinterested, not once even mentioned my weight! Well that day (lucky for me) I was informed I was now a patient of the new partner, in I goes ready to sob about my husband leaving, ask for medication, and leave. I started off mentioning husband and the bugger was interested!!! This threw me, so I started telling him about how he blamed my weight, which lead to me talking for the next 15 mins how bad I felt with weighing as much as I did. At he end my new rather amazing gp smiled and said I think you are coping with the hubbie leaving, you only mentioned him twice, but you mentioned how fat you at least 20 times!!!! And there lies the problem.

You see I am upset the husband has left me, even more so when I found out he was having an affair!! But my biggest fear was not losing him the person, but losing company, security, a man who I thought loved me even though I am massive.

So back to the gp after bloods done - shows I have some hormonal imbalance, private scan - shows I have pcos (how insane is this I was pleased! Thought I could finally have an excuse for weighing this much!) anyway amazing gp sits me down, warns me I am killing myself with food, states my body has gone into meltdown, and I need to do something now! With a smile he told me about Atkins..................

I start this way of eating on august the 19th, I am away for 2 weeks Friday, booked a cottage in north Wales on the beach, so that 2 weeks I am going to read read and reread all I need to know, I will be looking at every aspect of this way of eating to prepare myself. I will be reading through your diaries, getting tips and inspiration. The 19th I have my first appointment with a councillor to address my eating issues, and will be weighted, with my gp support its Atkins from then on!,,

I apologise for the length of this post, and the rambling nature xxxxxxxxx excited to begin a new journey x

Hi meg,

Your not rambling, feel privileged you've felt comfortable with sharing so much with us x.

Despite everything you seem so positive and rearing to go. You've landed in the right place there are some brilliantly supportive people on here, who'll always be willing to offer advice, support and encouragement. Just keep posting x.

Looking forward to reading your diary. Good look on the journey to a new you.

Thanks for the reply busy busy x I have been compiling a shopping list, so much stuff I have no clue about!! Coconut oil, I thought that was stuff to help a suntan along.

I so so wish I was starting today, feel ready, but GP thinks 2 weeks away no pressure, and the support from himself and family when I come back will be make or break.

I need this to work, I need to have a life, all I do now is sit in the house as worried about people's reactions when they see me x

Morning meg,

wow you are a wonder women for getting up and fighting back. I'm sorry to hear your husband left you in such an awful way but imp reading thinking maybe it was a blessing in disguise, you'll get your life back now out of your comfort zone and sometimes we need horrific things in our life to kick start that process. Time to start putting yourself first.

well done on taking the first steps to a new you and I look forward to reading your diary.

Hello meg,
I'm sat here in tears having read what happened to you.
Last September my husband who I've been with for 27 years got up and announced he was leaving..... I had no idea he had been planning this and was and still am heartbroken. He gave me no reasons and now refuses to speak to me, he has walked past me in the street and not said hello, I'm a complete stranger to him now.
I put weight on after he left due to poor diet and drinking too much and that's why I'm here, trying to get it back off and get my self esteem back.
Good luck, I really hope this works for you xxx

Sent from my eye phone using MiniMins.com mobile app

Than you all for taking time to reply, I think in my case it is def a blessing, I would have ambled on in my own little world, a son, a husband, a home, a massive belly etc etc, I may have lived until I was 60!!! Prob with a host of health issues (g.p was shocked other than pcos I had a clean bill of health) but not under no illusions that it would be that way for long!!!

It has made me address the elephant that has been in my room for at least 10 years!!!

I am devouring all the information I can about healthy eating, eating the best way for pcos, I have been told by my GP to focus on diet first. He recommends a walk lasting 10-20 mins a day. He states when I get into the diet he can prescribe the local gym!!! The last time I saw a rowing machine I was in school x

Hello meg,
I'm sat here in tears having read what happened to you.
Last September my husband who I've been with for 27 years got up and announced he was leaving..... I had no idea he had been planning this and was and still am heartbroken. He gave me no reasons and now refuses to speak to me, he has walked past me in the street and not said hello, I'm a complete stranger to him now.
I put weight on after he left due to poor diet and drinking too much and that's why I'm here, trying to get it back off and get my self esteem back.
Good luck, I really hope this works for you xxx

Sent from my eye phone using MiniMins.com mobile app

I typed a massive reply!!! Not sure where I sent it!!! Hey x. I am so pleased you are working on getting your self esteem back!! It takes a hellish battering!! Xx

I think it's difficult for me as I know he has an entire other life I have no involvement in, he left so he had the relief and free feeling, while I was/am here obsessively picking through every aspect of our life, I felt betrayed (before I found out about other women) betrayed he had not only broke the marriage but destroyed the commitment that was built on an emotional trust xxx I hope you have a good GP as you should see them x they can recommend a councillor, who can help you with the grief x

I am super excited, my son has always wanted a dog, unable to have due to his fathers alleges!!! Well dad has left the building so operation dog commenced!!!!

We decided to go down the rescue route! And visited the local dog centre, that was heartbreaking, luckily it's a private one, they never put healthy dogs down, but they are full!! So turning away lots of needy dogs x anyway we spent an afternoon there, met a lot of dogs, I told my son the dog will pick us, so we just walked a few then played with some x we then met jack a rather overweight ( I felt a bond) bulldog, my son sat down, he ambled over and put his head on his lap and fell asleep x my son was this is the one!!!!

I was expecting a dog to demand physical activity, and my son picks the only mutt lazier than I am x

So I have met my diet buddy x a overweight, lazy, snoring, exercise phobic, a face only a mum could love bulldog. We had the home visit last week and just had a message we can go pick him up!!!! Do welcome to the family jack x

I am super excited, my son has always wanted a dog, unable to have due to his fathers alleges!!! Well dad has left the building so operation dog commenced!!!!

We decided to go down the rescue route! And visited the local dog centre, that was heartbreaking, luckily it's a private one, they never put healthy dogs down, but they are full!! So turning away lots of needy dogs x anyway we spent an afternoon there, met a lot of dogs, I told my son the dog will pick us, so we just walked a few then played with some x we then met jack a rather overweight ( I felt a bond) bulldog, my son sat down, he ambled over and put his head on his lap and fell asleep x my son was this is the one!!!!

I was expecting a dog to demand physical activity, and my son picks the only mutt lazier than I am x

So I have met my diet buddy x a overweight, lazy, snoring, exercise phobic, a face only a mum could love bulldog. We had the home visit last week and just had a message we can go pick him up!!!! Do welcome to the family jack x

Congrats on the dog!

On a side note: the PCOS responds really well to low carb WOE.

So I have met my diet buddy x a overweight, lazy, snoring, exercise phobic, a face only a mum could love bulldog x

Welcome Meg, your son and Jack - who sounds perfect! :) :wavey:

It is so lovely to have you here, and thank you for being so brave and sharing your story with us. You are going to love low carb, and you'll love this forum - we are all going through eating (and other) challenges, and the support here is phenomenal. Don't ever be afraid to to write how you're feeling, someone here will know exactly and be able to help.

I've got to dash to a meeting but will be back shortly to whitter on some more :D

I have fallen in love. My car is now full of dogs hair, and snot, but I love him!! He just jumped out of the car, had a look around, ambled in, and fell asleep!!! He is now snoring rather loudly and has not moved x x not able to post a pic, but as soon as I can I will!! X

So advice needed, my 15 year old son, he is not over weight, but at 6ft3 and weighing 13.5stone is ok to lose a few lbs, he is super active and fit, playing some kind of sport almost daily. He has been reading the Atkins book and stated he wants to eat this way also. Now my question is should he do 2 weeks induction ?? Or can he go straight to owl??? I assume he needs to get his body burning fat so that would mean induction, then introduce all the ongoing stuff straight away?? I intend to stay on induction for at least 3-6 months and then re-evaluate. It would make it easier to do, I was worried about my son eating this high cal food then also having carbs x
Would you allow a 15 year old to try?? He will be 16 in feb I keep trying to focus on the fact it will prob be much more healthy salmon and veg than the pizza and cereals he seems to live on x

Back :)

I would do more research - the majority of sites I just googled seem to suggest that if he's active, he shouldn't do low carb at all, as he needs all the vit C etc from fruit and veg that he can get.

Maybe he could try to drop the high carb wheat products for a couple of weeks and see how gets on?

Very glad to hear Jack has settled in so beautifully :D

Great idea lady, I really worry but we have agreed all vegetables and potatoes and fruit allowed x oh and he can have a treat night!!! I think he is trying to think of ways to support me x

Yep jack has seemed to accept this is now home, I did wake him to point the outside area out and his food etc etc.

Finding sleep not easy to come, I should be packing but its like my heart is not really into it. On a brighter note Jack continues the sleepathon, I want what he's having x

How's it going Meg, did you get some sleep? Did Jack get more sleep? :D

Maybe it's this changeable weather - I tossed and turned all night - and was just nodding off when Orbit, my tabby/feline child, went bonkers and started galloping around my shoebox of a flat for about 30 minutes...

I did get a few hours, and feel so much better for it.....Tried to take jack out in the rain he was having non of it, but dragged our sorry arses for a 10 min brisk walk!!! I am not sure who was panting more, me or the dog.

I have had a visit to the solicitors, sadly one of the many chores when a marriage breaks down. The ex has offered me the chance to stay in until son goes to uni etc, but it would make our financial link drag on, so sadly I have decided to sell my lovely home...........so houses hunting ensures, kind of excited to be getting my home, just mine !!! mind it means I will have to get full time hours, but will be worth it x

Hair cut and coloured!!!! Grey banished x a great feeling, the hair has been cut a lot shorter, new life new hair xxxx just need to start this way of eating x

Oh Meg your thread is so brilliant to read - you are a whole new you! :D

I have ze greys too, going to home colour this weekend, so I'm ready for my low carb gluten free life next Monday :)

Back