Tomorrow I am going to experiment!

HellieCopter

Gold Member
I am going to try to make my own vegetable crisps, baked in the oven.

I love the ones from Aldi and the kettle chips ones too, so thought I'd try to make my own to snack on.

Anyone ever done it?!

If successful I will post about it in the recipes. They would be great for christmas nibbles if they work out!!

Hi.. I have done parsnip ones they were nice.. in the oven on a baking sheet.

Thing is have to get them thin enough but too thin and they burn...

Let us know how you get on.. I also tried the lasagne ones but not for me I don't really like doritos and that is what they were like.

Good luck!

I used to make crisps all the time from sweet potatoes, parsnips, carrots and turnips.

I baked them until they were brown and then left in a warm oven to crisp up. Sometimes I put salt on them.

They're very nice and got me through many a film, as my munchies of choice are crisps!

Oooh, never thought to try and make these myself... It's worth the price of a parnip and a sweet potato to experiment with this. I might give it a go myself!

Sounds good! Ive never tried veggie crisps, but love roasted parsnip, butternut squash etc, so will have to give this a whirl!
I love the lasagne crisps, but I am limiting myself them to once a week...didnt effect my loss last week (lost 7lbs).

I tried the lasagne ones once and they burned to a crisp! (Haha see what i did there...)

Groan!!!! Lol

the trick is to put your oven on as low as possible and cook them overnight. that way they become more dried out than burnt! i did it with tomatoes were amazing!

Well, they were quite successful but I think I need more attempts. I was not very patient so didn't have the oven on for long enough at a low temperature...and I struggled to get them all thin enough - some were but some were a bit thick.

I did beetroot (worked well but disappeared!) carrot, parsnip and sweet potato - all very tasty but just not quite right. Still, once cooked I ate them! LOL!

Will try again tomorrow I think and do them more slowly. Also I think I need a food processor that slices things more thinly/evenly than my clumsy hands! Luckily I think Father Christmas is bringing me a magimix!

Oohh great idea - I was going to do some and use the Moulinex, but I'll try the swivel peeler I have.

I think you can buy those mandolin things fairly cheaply these days too.

I have the 'big v' slicer...last Xmas's big rip off kitchen gadget! lol Would be ideal for these though. Must try it ;-)

Back