Tonsil Op advice

letsgetlosing

Hi all
My 4 year old has just got his date through for his tonsils and adanoid removal operation in 2 weeks.
It now seems very real and to say Im worried is an understatement! Not worried about the op, just the thought of my little boy in a surgery environment and being upset afterwards :((

Was wondering if any of you have had children who had the op, and if you can offer any advise about what to do in his aftercare :)

Thanks x

Sorry to hear about all of this. I'm not a parent, so can't advise on anything from a parental point of view I'm afraid.

I did, however, have the exact same operation when I was the same age as your son. I have lovely memories of the doctors and nurses in the hospital, particularly as they dressed my teddy bear up in a surgery mask and hat!

I think what helped me the most as a child was that my parents bought me a book called 'Lucy Loses Her Tonsils', about a girl who was going to have the same op done. It helped me understand what was going to happen. It's an old book now (I'm now 24!), but copies are still available on the 'net. I'd recommend getting something like that for your son so that he understands what's going to happen in a reassuring, positive way. That way, at least, you will know he isn't feeling scared of the unknown.

Hope it all goes well. x

Back