Too much exercise...

Kels_85

Silver Member
Hey girls,
I'm on the 810 plan, and doing the C25K challenge, and also am on day 15 of the 30 day shred. I have noticed that since I started the shred, my losses have slowed down quite drastically. I was losing 3lb a week, then went down to 2lb a week, and I have weighed myself this morning, and so far this week, have lost nothing at all. I know the closer you get to your goal, the harder it is too loose, but I'm just wondering if it's too do with all the exercise I'm doing? Can this affect weight loss? I am begrudgingly, considering giving up the shred, and starting it again when I get to 9 1/2st, I HATE giving up on things though! Can anyone shed some light/thoughts on this please? Xxx

I think you must just be turning some of your fat into muscle with all the toning up - so I reckon your inch loss will be fab! Also the more muscle you have, the higher your metabolism is so you'll get more losses down the line probably?

I hope this does not cause offence but you can't turn fat into muscle, its scientifically impossible. They are completely different make ups that have different uses. Its just like the myth that muscle weighs more then fat...a 1lb of muscle weighs as much as a 1lb of fat. Muscle though is denser and takes up "less space". Which looks much nicer, give us a nicer body shape then our fat "splodging" everywhere!

Its very hard to "build" muscle on a calorie deficit but you may be strengthening the muscle you have and as loveablemonkey rightly said the healthier your muscle the better your metabolism, muscle burns more calories every single day then fat does. We need our muscle :D

What may be happening is that your not actually having enough calories to sustain such an active exercise life :( Who would of thought there can be such a thing as to less a cals lol! We use the cals for fuel, on a vlcd we are all on a minimum amount of cals to stay healthy on an average day even on the 810 plan, so say for example you burn off 400 cals in total with your shred and running, you are asking your body to survive every day life on the 400 cals that is "left"....I'm thinking your body may be holding on to things for dear life, wondering if its in a "famine" that horrible word "starvation mode"...

Its horrible to have such a dilemma when all you want to do is be healthy :( The shred is FANTASTIC for inch loss...and inches is where it is at in my eyes! We don't walk around with what the scales say attached to our foreheads..but people do see the inch loss :D I just think for such an active workout more cals would be needed to fuel it.

Wow sorry for the ramble! LOL
x

Last edited:
Something similar is happening to me.

Since starting regular work outs I can tell the difference as my clothes are getting loose. However, changes on scale are not so impressive.
People comment on my apparent "weight loss" but scale is saying different story. It was a lil confusing at first but overall, I feel so much better having loads of energy and gearing up to start 30 day shred any day now. I now how I want to look and no longer care if I will be in my 10s or 9s at the goal. As long as I remain fit and healthy... I have lots of friends who are skinny but unhealthy - that's where I draw the line. I want to feel good in my skin and have energy to enjoy it!!!

Obviously 2 things that weigh 1lb weigh the same amount.......

But you can be smaller and weigh the same if a higher portion of your body weight is made up of muscle.

And obviously they are 2 different things - I wasn't being literal - but what I meant was that as she is losing fat she could be building some muscle. Her calories have gone up and although its still a low calorie diet, her body is used to running on the lower amount so I don't see why initially, particularly on a high protein diet and when doing toning exercises, some of the extra food intake would go toward muscle growth.

I totally get what you mean but we are not eating enough to promote muscle growth. To "build" our muscles we need to basically "rip" them in exercise and the "building" comes as the muscle heals from being "ripped" not during the exercise and it will take extra cals to do this not just the cals we take in for every day living...sorry I hate using such words lol I am just lousy as getting what I mean across!

The calories we are allocated on a vlcd are the minimum to stay healthy. They are all "eaten" up by our bodies as the diet is worked out scientifically to feed the priorities so we can get by on such a low amount. 810 is still very low, the tiny extra can't fuel high impact, active exercise.

I am a HUGE advocate for exercise, I don't mean to come across as someone who does not promote exercise, I just think on a vlcd we need to be careful x

Thanks so much for all your comments girls, really appreciate them :)
I have decided to give up the shred until I get to 9st 7lbs. I do agree with you that the inch loss on the shred is AMAZING!! and the inches count a lot more to me than what the scales say, but I just feel like it's the shred that's stopping me Loosing. Maybe all this exercise is a little bit too much for me being on 810 plan, and I definitely don't feel ready too go up to the 1000 plan, so will finish my C25K have a weeks break off of the exercise and then start the shred again from level 1. I really do enjoy the shred, it is hard but can't deny the results I have seen so far ( inch wise ) have been fab! Thanks again everyone xxx

Hi kels85

That's why I gave up the shred after 7 days whilst on SS. Just started again today will be day 4 of the shred on 810 and no loss showing on my scales grrr. How many inches did you lose? This is what is more important to me. I'd happily weigh 15 stone if I was still a size 10! Lol

Just worried that I'm making like hard for myself with the exercise and not getting much to show for it ( weight wise)

Hmmm what to do?

i build muscle whilst on lower cd plans. i can see it, the tape tells me so etc. your body will covert stored fat into fuel if no fuel is readily available.

It's so demotivating isn't it!!
I lost 4lb and 7inches in 14 days. When you look at it that way, it doesn't look to bad. But my losses were 3lb every week, I get weighed on Saturday, and so far have lost nothing from since my last weigh in. I really believe i took to much on doing the shred and C25K at the same time! I won't deny the results are absolutely amazing on the shred, but I want to get into the 9's by the end of April, as I won't be able to afford to do CD after that date as I will seriously have to start saving for Mexico! I will start it again when I get too 9st 7lbs that's a certainty! Just want to get out of the 10's so badly by end of April!
However, if my losses are still low next week, I might reconsider.... Xxx

I hope this does not cause offence but you can't turn fat into muscle, its scientifically impossible. They are completely different make ups that have different uses. Its just like the myth that muscle weighs more then fat...a 1lb of muscle weighs as much as a 1lb of fat. Muscle though is denser and takes up "less space". Which looks much nicer, give us a nicer body shape then our fat "splodging" everywhere!

So far, I agree with what you say.

Its very hard to "build" muscle on a calorie deficit but you may be strengthening the muscle you have and as loveablemonkey rightly said the healthier your muscle the better your metabolism, muscle burns more calories every single day then fat does. We need our muscle :D

Not so sure about this one. As great things points out, it's hard to argue with a tape measure that suggests you might be gaining muscle. My guess is that if you still have enough body fat to burn as a fuel source, you'll be able to build muscle. That's just a guess though. It's important to recognise that all the stuff out there on the internet about starvation mode is referring to diets where there is a very low intake of calories and restricted intake of protein.

In fact, 3 shakes' worth of Cambridge will give you a generous intake of protein. If you still have fat to burn, you probably won't have that breakdown of muscle that 'starvation mode' is supposedly all about. The risk comes towards the end of your dieting journey and your body nears a healthy BMI of 25. That's when you're in danger of burning muscle and entering 'starvation' mode because you haven't got as much fat to burn - but that's precisely why Cambridge insist that as your body reaches a BMI of 25 that you start to go up the plans. Going up the plans means that you'll increase the number of calories you're eating and have an additional source of protein ( chicken breast, cottage cheese, tuna, etc) in addition to your 3 shakes.

More protein=preservation of muscle mass=reduction of risk of starvation mode.

What may be happening is that your not actually having enough calories to sustain such an active exercise life :( Who would of thought there can be such a thing as to less a cals lol! We use the cals for fuel, on a vlcd we are all on a minimum amount of cals to stay healthy on an average day even on the 810 plan, so say for example you burn off 400 cals in total with your shred and running, you are asking your body to survive every day life on the 400 cals that is "left"....I'm thinking your body may be holding on to things for dear life, wondering if its in a "famine" that horrible word "starvation mode"...

Except that isn't what starvation mode actually is. Starvation mode is when your body catabolises your own muscle mass for energy - which shouldn't happen if you're eating sufficient protein and still have some fat stores. I think (again - this is a guess, but an educated one), the reason you might not see instant results at the scales when you start exercising is because when you use your muscles, you actually damage them and your body renews them - makes them bigger if it seems as though you're going to make a habit of using them! While your body's making repairs, it holds on to water.

I think all you're seeing is water retention, Kels. Give it another week or two of exercise and things should balance themselves out.

science aside....

my cdc said my losses would be less each week if i did exercise, but id notice the inch loss alot more.

I think all you're seeing is water retention, Kels. Give it another week or two of exercise and things should balance themselves out.

When I first started a proper exercise regime I had really measly weight losses (albeit not on CD) and my consultant told me that the muscle holds on to water because you're working it in a different way. She told me it would be 3-4 weeks before it went back on track & she was right. I burn about 160-190 calories doing the shred, depending on the level. I don't think that's enough to put you into starvation mode, even with some running. It's definately worth it at the end to see definition in your arms, legs & shoulders. ;)

Hi Lily,
Your advice is absolutely amazing!! That you so much!! I haven't done my shred today, I was set against it!
Now I'm confused, I don't know if I should stick it out, and carry on with it, or start again when I have lost another stone? I do enjoy the shred, and my inch loss has been good! I think I'd feel a little better getting into the 9's before I start the shred again? I have noticed that running seems a little harder for me now - I don't know if this is down to doing the shred, or just because the level that I'm on now is a little more intense than the past weeks have been!
The more I think about it, the more my mind is swaying to wait until I'm down another stone before I start with the shred again. I think I'll stick too doing 150 stomach exercises of an evening and complete my C25K and then get back on the shred.
Thanks again for all your advice, it has been extremely helpful to me xxx

babyblues said:
science aside....

my cdc said my losses would be less each week if i did exercise, but id notice the inch loss alot more.

Thanks babyblues,
I have noticed the inch loss, but still want too see the scales going down - I guess we can't have the best of both xxx

coralprincess said:
When I first started a proper exercise regime I had really measly weight losses (albeit not on CD) and my consultant told me that the muscle holds on to water because you're working it in a different way. She told me it would be 3-4 weeks before it went back on track & she was right. I burn about 160-190 calories doing the shred, depending on the level. I don't think that's enough to put you into starvation mode, even with some running. It's definately worth it at the end to see definition in your arms, legs & shoulders. ;)

I love the shred and will definitely be going back to it when I have got into the 9's :)
Thank you for all your advice, it's been very helpful and has put my mind at rest a huge deal! Thank you xxx

Hi Lily,
Your advice is absolutely amazing!! That you so much!! I haven't done my shred today, I was set against it!
Now I'm confused, I don't know if I should stick it out, and carry on with it, or start again when I have lost another stone? I do enjoy the shred, and my inch loss has been good! I think I'd feel a little better getting into the 9's before I start the shred again? I have noticed that running seems a little harder for me now - I don't know if this is down to doing the shred, or just because the level that I'm on now is a little more intense than the past weeks have been!
The more I think about it, the more my mind is swaying to wait until I'm down another stone before I start with the shred again. I think I'll stick too doing 150 stomach exercises of an evening and complete my C25K and then get back on the shred.
Thanks again for all your advice, it has been extremely helpful to me xxx

You're halfway through right? I'd finish it, you'll see brilliant results in your body shape :D

Yep, today was supposed to be day 15! I really do want to finish it, just want the scales to go down a bit first! I'm definitely becoming really impatient! Xxx

Yep, today was supposed to be day 15! I really do want to finish it, just want the scales to go down a bit first! I'm definitely becoming really impatient! Xxx

I know the feeling, I had the same thing happen to me, it's so frustrating that your hard work is seemingly going nowhere!But I know after I finished the Shred I could *really* tell the difference in my body.

I think the main thing with me is, where I have to stop CD by the end of April, I can really afford too be having a STS or 1lb loss. I want too get off as much weight as I possibly can by then. I know doing the shred is fab inch wise, but I still have a goal too reach, I know I won't be at 9stby may, but I would like too think I'll be 9st 7lbs - Hopefully. My mind is made up - I will do the shred when I'm comfortably in the 9's! I need as much of this weight off, as I can get in the next 5 weeks!

Back