Tools, tricks and technology

I haven't done it with iOS for iPad, but did install the gold master of iOS 4.2 for iphone before 4.2 was officially released - it was a sinch, though took a while to download iOS.

It's probably easiest to look up the instructions on google and it'll give you a feel for jailbreak if you haven't done it before - issues you might run into etc. It might take an hour or two to download the iOS for iPad though - might be something you might wanna do with fresh eyes tomorrow!

Just in case you didn't know, the layout of some apps in iOS 4 for iPad like mail, iTunes are different from their iOS for iPhone equivalents. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure how they render on the iPhone.

Hope that doesn't sound patronising, you sound like you know what you're doing. You should definitely give it a go. I love hacking Apple stuff coz they lock everything down so much. Oh - back all your stuff up! I'm nervous in case you lose anything you want to keep!

you sound like you know what you're doing

LMAO oh how we laughed :D, seriously, I haven't got a clue about this techie stuff. I know what I want to happen, then google and watch a spotty American 12 year old on You Tube to figure out how to get there :)

Thx, Michael, that's really helpful - will look it up tomorrow. And yes, I will back up, just got myself a lovely LaCie 2TG external hard drive (mentioned it in November), so am going to have a play with it in the morning :)

I Googled this app we're talking about (OK I admit I've had a few vodies and cant recall the name!!) at 6 this morning but decided it wasn't for me as I wouldn'y sync with my laptop cos its a work one.
However my iphone4 arrived this afternoon so need to get minis on there (had it on my itouch - anyone want to buy an itouch? lol) OH is like a dog with 2 tails playing and setting it up for me. He's already got one so appears to know what he's doing lol.

LMAO oh how we laughed :D, seriously, I haven't got a clue about this techie stuff. I know what I want to happen, then google and watch a spotty American 12 year old on You Tube to figure out how to get there :)

I must admit that I have resisted bothering to jailbreak any of my kit (admit to having 10 bits of apple kit in the house - hmm maybe that's another post ;) ). Generally not worth it unless something you are desperate for as have to redo every OS update.

I Googled this app we're talking about (OK I admit I've had a few vodies and cant recall the name!!) at 6 this morning but decided it wasn't for me as I wouldn'y sync with my laptop cos its a work one.
However my iphone4 arrived this afternoon

The great thing about Evernote (if that is the app you mean!) is that you don't have to sync to a work machine. We have the most locked down system in the world at work & I either email myself notes from work or use the web browser to access. But the best tool in the world with it is your new iphone4 :D

Lifehacker is great isn't it Kat1e. I visit Lifehacker and Engadget pretty much every day.

Ah Internet....my only true friend... :D

He He - another one to add is Gizmodo. I may claim that it's about what the technology does for you and not the shiny little gadget itself but then my apple addiction might give me away...

My name is Kat1e & I'm a gadget-holic. We currently have in the house: 2 mac minis (1 broken), 2 apple tvs (1 old, 1 new), 2 ipod touches (2nd & 4th gen), 3 phones (4,3gs,3), 1 ipod nano and 1 ipad. And I won't start on the number of iphone/ipad apps I have as too embarrassing :p

LOL Katie, good for you hun - know what you mean on the app front, I had to reload them all on recently after a dufus company killed motherboard and had to replace it.

Even though the apps were still in the latest back up, organising them back into folders took hours!

Jeez, I thought I was on my Geek Board there. :)

Lol Jim.
OH synched new phone on his laptop so it's picked up his iTunes account instead of mine! I don't know how to change it grrr.
It takes 24 hours for the phone to switch over so I'm now looking like a real gadget freak with 2 phones, iPod touch and laptop all on the go at the same time! I'll have to text him for his password so I can download minis on the phone then I can put away the itouch.

Well having got distinctly sidetracked by all things apple (i accept full responsibility :) ), thought i would follow up with some other areas that fit the the thread.

So to tips:

Standard productivity advice is that the way you start the day is critical - preparation, planning, don't do x(eg email), pick top 1/2/3 priorities for day and make sure they get done whatever. Can we apply this to Atkins living? What are the hints & tips you would give to newbies about the best way to start a successful day?

KISS is my favourite Katie.

best way to start a successfull day is nice and ear;ly, with a good coffee.

i hate being rushed in the morning, always get up much earlier than i need to so to have time to have a coffee and surf before i get up proper.

Lady, did you jailbreak your iPhone?

Kat1e, yes I'm also quite the fan of Gizmodo too - I love its writing style. That + Engadget, Wired, MacRumors, Register, Slashdot, Ars Technica...The list grows daily!

I wish I was as organised as you guys. My desk at work looks like its been ransacked by a hoard of pillaging pirates. I also have no tips for waking up in the morning as I hate having to wake up! :D

eh! random double post.

Hi Michael

I decided not to do it, there seems to be a few issues associated with jailbreaking, so decided to leave well alone - I was only thinking of it for the sake of two apps :)

Thx for the techie advice, tho :)

Fair dos. It's not the most straightforward. Wait until the jailbreak guys catch up with iOS 4.2 and should be a bit easier. Well done for having a look though - sounds like you're a budding hacker (or hax0r for the uber-geeks!)

Back