Tools, tricks and technology

i want one :(
Hi Bren - not sure if you have a lot of wifi available around home, work, out & about - but you might want to look at having a touch instead - think they are cheaper & dont need a contract then ;)

myfitnesspal :)
free app called carb counter on iphone
will check them both out thanks

Actually - my fitness pal looks interesting as can update from different places: web browser, iphone, touch etc

Yep & we can stalk you on there too... ;)
Ah - but can you find me. My username taken, so if you stalk a Kat1e they will be very surprised:D:D

well you can stalk me im the same as on here :)

Hi Bren - not sure if you have a lot of wifi available around home, work, out & about - but you might want to look at having a touch instead - think they are cheaper & dont need a contract then ;)
Ah, did think about that when Lisa mentioned getting rid of hers but they won't let us use the wifi at work for some obscure reason..............so don't think that is going to be the answer unfortunately.

Any thoughts on the Blackberry Curve folks?

Just had a look a bit more at myfitnesspal - looks really impressive. Who is using it? Does it let you pick up other people's recipes? For example if i wanted to add the pie and someone else has already added in? Thanks

Ah, did think about that when Lisa mentioned getting rid of hers but they won't let us use the wifi at work for some obscure reason..............so don't think that is going to be the answer unfortunately.

Any thoughts on the Blackberry Curve folks?

No offense, but IMO, Blackberry phones are the worst! If you're looking at budget phones, I'd recommend the Orange San Francisco Android phone (can be unlocked and used on other networks). Sells for around £99. At that price you can always upgrade later if you hate it.

The only caveat I'd add is that the software it comes with is a bit naff. If you can flash the phone's memory to instead use the stock Android 2.1 software, it is a much nicer experience overall.

Any thoughts on that Kat1e?

Our reps have blackberries, they don't seem to have any problems and the Blackberry server we have seems OK despite being a windows server.

I have a blackberry as well for work and it does the job but i wouldnt recommend particularly.
Pros: connects to secure work email, work pays the bill!
Cons: painful to use the web, so i dont! Dont like the interface, phone quality pretty poor

I think android is a really great idea - there is a large range of phones in the 100 quid bracket. Depends a bit on what you want to use it for. If you give us your priorities i'm sure me, michael and gizmodo can come up with some recommendations :) !

Bless you guys/gals - I am looking for a phone that I can connect to the internet with, phone does not have to be anything wonderful, a camera would be good but not the be all and end all if it hasn't or it is not very good. I have an ipod so ok for music that way. It really is just for calls and internet and a bit of texting really. And apps if possible............

Cheers!

edited - what about HTC Wildfire?

Last edited:
My friend has a wildfire. It's...OK. I don't dislike it, but I think the Orange San Fran bests it, mostly because of the screen quality. San Francisco has a higher resolution.

Have you thought about ebay? You might be able to pick up a bargain, mint condition second hand phone there, or even new one.

Just to add, I agree with Kat1e, Blackberry phones are OK just for e-mail and phoning. For internet/games/general apps (and I think battery life) they're way behind the others. I can see why ppl use them in a business environment at the mo tho. I think that will change tho...

No offense, but IMO, Blackberry phones are the worst! If you're looking at budget phones, I'd recommend the Orange San Francisco Android phone (can be unlocked and used on other networks). Sells for around £99. At that price you can always upgrade later if you hate it.

The only caveat I'd add is that the software it comes with is a bit naff. If you can flash the phone's memory to instead use the stock Android 2.1 software, it is a much nicer experience overall.

Any thoughts on that Kat1e?

Most of that went way over my head - could you talk me through it if I got one? :cry:

Fabulous!

edited - what about HTC Wildfire?

I have the HTC Legend and I love it can't rate it highly enough camera isn't as good as a Nokia say but takes good enough photos, easy to use and navigate, touchscreen is really responsive and android app market is very good too!
My DH has a Nokia and though he loves the phone he is very jealous of the android apps I can get.

HTH

x

Brilliant - very funny :D:D:D

I have the HTC Legend and I love it can't rate it highly enough camera isn't as good as a Nokia say but takes good enough photos, easy to use and navigate, touchscreen is really responsive and android app market is very good too!
My DH has a Nokia and though he loves the phone he is very jealous of the android apps I can get.

HTH

x

Thanks flutter - that does help, not too bothered about the camera, handy to have but I have a digital camera for photos I want to keep properly. It is looking more like an option from most things I am reading about it. Cheers! :D

Love that sketch! Brilliant. Must get OH to watch it. :D

Back