Topaz's diary of determination

oooh have a lovely holiday!

Hi guys. Yes I did have a good time at the weddiing as well as before and after. Saw all my nieces and their children including a new two week old one. But too much champagne and wine with good food including cous cous. So now losing the six pounds put on (wages of sin)!

I helped my brother take his strawberries to market. Lovely big markets in beautiful old towns. Nice to potter round the stalls looking at all the interesting food. Even harder to diet in France than here!

Well I've lost four of the pounds I put on. But I'm now off on the holiday I booked before my French niece decided to get married. Swimming on the Isles of Scilly. SwimTrek | Swimming Adventure Holidays
I hope the weather behaves. With all the swimming and walking I expect my weight won't go up and I can eat lots of fish. I did it last year and it was great. Gives an interesting goal to those lengths in the pool.

Well done on your loss!
Have a fab time on holiday too. :)

Hi guys, I'm back from swimming round islands! I'll post a few photos tonight. After 10 days off diet completely I put on 3 pounds. All the swimming in cold water (14 - 15 degrees) kept the effects down. We also had some long walks, looking around the beautiful islands (Isles of Scilly). I've just lost 2 of the three by going back on PP for 2 days and now am back to Cruise.
I regret to say I didn't even resist the cream tea, after we had swum 6 kilometres! But I did limit myself on the alcohol to one drink per night. I feel much fitter than when I left. The sad thing is that it'll be difficult to keep going as yesterday the dermatologist took a large chunk out of my arm where a melanoma was removed in July and has said I can't swim for 4 weeks! Boo hoo as I'd really got into it, was trying to keep the fitness as in October I'm swimming in Greece (no puns please). so not sure what I'll do about that. And yes I am having two holidays this year making up for none in many many years! tho I did have one last year, the same isles of Scilly swimming.

Last edited:
To answer Floribunda's question, I have cousins in Hawkes Bay and a godmother in the Bay of Plenty, both North Island. Also an old schoolfriend in Dunedin. So room for quite a tour when I finally go southwards.

And Dukandebut, I'll put some photos up to entice you! The group of people was wonderful as last year. We all got on and so chose to have meals together when out in the evening as well as the organised lunch during the day. On the final day we all scattered but somehow congregated again for a swim before lunch at the bay where another woman and I had gone to snorkel. The group of ten (usually up to 14) varied from an 18 year-old there with his dad as a treat post A Level to an older woman in her 60's like myself. 2 or three from each decade in between!

Heigh ho weight on again after staying with son an family for a week. 4lbs to lose to get back to where I was. Oh well, lots of us have put on over August and hols are the danger point for giving up on diets completely, so I suppose all of us who hang in there and get back on the routine are doing well. I aim to lose those extras in the next week and get back on the real loss. One more week till I can swim again. Stitches out today, yay. I've a 4 inch scar round my wrist but hope no more melanomas.

Oh dear don't dare get on scales. I had to go visit my mother, stay in B & B and take her out for pub meals every day. Tried to stick to diet but hopeless, so ate mostly fish, but I could feel my clothes getting tight. Went for long walks with dog after dropping her back at care home. Will get on scales tomorrow and find out worst.
Choir singing at Cheltenham, staying 2 days so yet more meals out. So hard to deal with. Will take DD biscuits to stave off worst as it's hard to choose right when ravenous!

PS you say you feel ravenous - i think some carbs cause that feeling - so it becomes a vicious cycle - the other day I felt ravenous, then something distracted me and later I realised I had got past that feeling, survived being so hungry and could now make a non-emotional food choice. Haven't figured it out but now tell myself that ravenous is a not- ok type of hunger and leads me into danger and probably the result of something I ate that I shouldn't have - does that make sense???

Yes you are right on this. I'm back on the swimming which will help, as strangely I'm not hungry after it. Also, while I'm looking ok in clothes, my swimming costume is a regular reminder that there's more to lose! And as for cycling shorts, they reveal the tum that's still there. Interim clothes could be a bit expensive but I've had some good charity shop buys.

Florib, you'll be able to swim in the sea soon! That'll be nice. Here we've only got a couple of months before it gets too cold for ordinary people.

Well, I'm back down to 152 lbs but will be on holiday for ten days from Wednesday, in the Greek islands with lots of swimming. With luck and healthy food I might at least stay the same or even lose a bit with all the exercise.
Back to Cruise when I return and then the last push towards Conso by Christmas.

Thanks, I hope so. It's the first holiday abroad on my own so I hope i don't come unstuck. I'm staying on my own for a few days and in between am with a group on a Swimtrek holiday. The longest swims are 5k, which I've never done so I may have to rest in a boat part way through. We'll see. You are a keen swimmer aren't you, Lausanne?

Wow, the swimming was ab fab! Average 5 k Per day, some swims 3.5 to 4.5. Lovely hot but not unbearable sun, beautiful blue water and excellent company. I've cone back lots fitter and well vit D'd up. Not very brown though as had to cover up because of higher than average risk of melanoma.

Dieter's downside is of course appetite and need to maintain strength. So have put on 4lbs, back on 2 days PP with slight starch craving, but worth it! photos do remind me that I'm still overweight, though! A good reality check.

So yesterday was yogurt and fish, today eggs yogurt and a bit of venison from freezer. I enjoyed the DD bread after 2weeks without, put sardines on it toasted and it was yum.

That sounds a really good thing to do :D

Thanks, I hope so. It's the first holiday abroad on my own so I hope i don't come unstuck. I'm staying on my own for a few days and in between am with a group on a Swimtrek holiday. The longest swims are 5k, which I've never done so I may have to rest in a boat part way through. We'll see. You are a keen swimmer aren't you, Lausanne?

Really just started properly at the start of September and am only managing a kilometre in 35 mins - will have to improve on speed. Would love the sea I think, the bliss of not having to turn every 20m. Glad you enjoyed yourself, sounds idyllic. :)Xx

Back