Totally panicking

It's funny, Nina, when I read your post I almost couldn't stop myself from loudly saying "Stop That!". Almost aloud!

Realized after I posted that that is exactly what I now hear in my head when those sort of thoughts appear.

A Loud Voice saying "Stop That" and, then, I do.

"Change the mind and the body will follow". So true. So glad you've found exercising's trueness for you.

Joy, funny how difficult it is to change the pattern, isn't it? And funny how easy to spot that on others and one on yourself...

The exercising has been such a learning experience! I spent so long believing I couldn't do it, that I hated it and now, I can't wait to go to the gym. I still hear a voice in my head saying "don't go, you won't enjoy it, it's too cold, you have a headache etc" but as you said, I am now ignoring it.

Joy, funny how difficult it is to change the pattern, isn't it? And funny how easy to spot that on others and one on yourself...

Yes! So very difficult! Make it easier, knowing we're surrounded by others with similar issues, all in different phases, in different sequences, with different weak/strong areas.

I meant "not on yourself"

I meant "not on yourself"
:D
Could be on your self, too. So many times I read someone's post and say, yup, been there, do that. Then remember to remember!

Gosh all this is very thought provoking. Like Nina, I have corrected the mindset where exercise is concerned (ok I only walk, but I walk a lot and fast too now...) but, where food is concerned, particularly on holidays/trips home, I too start out with the negative idea that it'll all end up like every previous holiday (and so it does). Worse still, my family and friends have even told me that they FAR prefer the me who eats with them happily without picking manically over everything, the me who pigs out rather than she who preplans each and every mouthful (and hence irritates everyone else in the process who'd far sooner "play things by ear").

I've often said I'd prefer to stay in a hotel rather than with friends or family when in the Uk and it'd be far easier for them and me.

Joy, your posts are really hitting the nail on the head for me...

One trick I learned a few years ago is that you only need to "force yourself" for 21 days. After that your mind accepts the new thing as a daily habit and no longer resists.

For example - I hated the crowded trains in the morning. One day I realised that if I left the house an hour earlier I would get a seat and could coffee etc at the other end. But I really really didn't want to get up an hour earlier. I just couldn't...

I forced myself for 3 weeks - two alarm clocks and a dash for the shower - and by week 4 I woke up normally at the right time, and started to really enjoy the empty streets, the comfortable journey while reading the papers and the lovely cup of coffee at the other end.

Now I hate it when I am forced to stay at home, queue for a crowded train and stand all the way into the city...

Makes sense... (and I never get a 21 day holiday so it'd be quicker still.)
BUT, while I'm quite happy having a week off at the house doing bits and pieces, I'm indignant at having to spend another week "on a diet" when at home... having spent most of my life on diets!

The happy medium really is something I need to find... any time soon would be great!

Maintainer, where I want to get back to is

The place where I eat because I'm hungry. And I eat what my body intuitively knows "I" need. I used to eat like that. I'm positive everyone of us did at one time. When infants, at least, if not longer until, especially for girls, appearance entered into the picture.

I learned a lot with the Fat Flush diet plan. Really relearned proper eating for nutrition. And learned to enjoy it. Got down to a very content scale number and then learned about, Conscious Eating, Intuitive Eating. Or some other phrase, can't recall it. Based on eating from a different space than my typical mind.

I want to get back there. A balanced space. Life is filled with so many trials and tribulations. I'm choosing to move food out of that category.

For me, my mind is a vital part of the process. Catching myself the moment before I eat and quietly, gently, go inside and listen to what is driving me. And asking, do I want to get in the car with you and go where we'll end up? Who exactly is driving anyway?

For me, my mind is a vital part of the process. Catching myself the moment before I eat and quietly, gently, go inside and listen to what is driving me. And asking, do I want to get in the car with you and go where we'll end up? Who exactly is driving anyway?

Priceless... thank you.

Back