TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

Well done AliGal :) You have certainly thought every little bit of your diet through and sound very sensible. Your motivation and commitment is quite inspirational - I love your no nonsense, get on with it attitude!

Conlou1 - welcome to the thread and I hope you've read AliGal's post to see how you do it!! I don't think it matters what diet you choose - as long as you walk the walk and talk the talk you will succeed. There is no such thing as cheating - you either do it or you don't.

This thread is amazing and I love the term "Bassers" - brilliant!!

slimmersally said:
Well done AliGal :) You have certainly thought every little bit of your diet through and sound very sensible. Your motivation and commitment is quite inspirational - I love your no nonsense, get on with it attitude!

Conlou1 - welcome to the thread and I hope you've read AliGal's post to see how you do it!! I don't think it matters what diet you choose - as long as you walk the walk and talk the talk you will succeed. There is no such thing as cheating - you either do it or you don't.

This thread is amazing and I love the term "Bassers" - brilliant!!

Ooh no I haven't seen that post, I'll get my laptop on and have a look.

Ooh am I gonna see a different side to ya Pom?

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I gave myself a thorough kick up the arse after my STS last week and today I have had WI with a 5lb loss. This was a lot more than I anticipated to be honest but I have been ill. I will try to get 3lbs this week so that I go under 14 stones - wish me luck (well not luck, but wish me the ability to be really good in my choices!)

I gave myself a thorough kick up the arse after my STS last week and today I have had WI with a 5lb loss. This was a lot more than I anticipated to be honest but I have been ill.I will try to get 3lbs this week so that I go under 14 stones - wish me luck (well not luck, but wish me the ability to be really good in my choices!)
Well done Kneehigh on the 5 lbs loss. Sorry you've not been too well.
BUT . . .
Try ????? If you stick to the same principles as you did this week, there's no need for luck - it will happen!

Hey Pommette

I think you should take kneehigh85's lead and change your signature from:

SLOW AND STEADY - 1 lb a week (if I'm lucky)

to SLOW AND STEADY - 1 lb a week (if I make really good choices)

How is that for tough love?!! We don't do "luck" here, we do harsh reality!!!

PS Well done on your loss this week :clap:

Quite possibly - supportive but firm!
thats fine by me :D

i need someone to say to me that it is absolutely NOT ok to have too many cals and lay on the sofa all day, im getting closer to target and it is gonna be tough im gonna have to cut back more and im not gonna do it by 'deviating' as aligal so rightly put it. as you know, im into the whole psychological thing behind weight loss and im a massive fan of owning what youve eaten, i have lied to myself in the past and it geets me no where other than heavier! the beck book i read motivated me quite a bit and had some great bits of tough love in it. but this weekend my resolve has waivered, im not sure why really, i just ate one bad thing then i just though screw it and carried on and on and on....today im bloated and feeling really really cross with myself, it wasnt worth it AT ALL. today i had 1300 cals instead of my usual 1200 and ive done no exercise so not that great either really, but i did stop myself from having that choccie bar i wanted by having 4 pints of NAS juice (thats how many it took until my cravings went lol) hubby came in and ate a full bar in front of me laughing, which wasnt very nice but a great test cos i just thought, its taken you 2 minutes to eat that.....i would have eaten it quicker no doubt and then would have felt guilty for hours and hours....not worth it. i need to get my bum in gear and go walking again...my favourite excuses are, its raining, im tired, the kids are playing up...feel free to kick my butt!!! :)

aligal...wow!! well done you, great attitude, great loss!!!! hope you manage to keep it up

Rain - mac/kagoul/parka - whatever you want to call it - wear one! A hat or hood helps too. Boots or comfy wellies. And you're off!
Kids playing up - drag 'em out there with you . . . they'll soon learn and it will tire them out!
Tired? You'll be even more tired by the end of your walk but you'll feel all the better for it!

Focus! I thought that my weight loss would slow down as I got toward target but I clocked a 4lb loss one week (following a small gain the week before) and won slimmer of the week another week. Keep focused, keep your body moving, eat plenty of fruit/veg/soup and avoid the alcohol.

I just noticed your stats - we're the same height but you started one stone heavier than me and I'm now 3.5lb heavier than you're target weight. Why 9st7lb? I found it hard to come up with a target weight and initially aimed for 10st7lb but kept losing, so revised to 10st. I'm still losing now but don't want to go any lighter. I had my fat measured today and it's 31.5% which I'm over the moon about (normal range 30-35%) . . . Target weights do seem a bit arbitrary . . .

In summary, you may be after tough love but don't be too tough on yourself :)

Hey Pommette

I think you should take kneehigh85's lead and change your signature from:

SLOW AND STEADY - 1 lb a week (if I'm lucky)

to SLOW AND STEADY - 1 lb a week (if I make really good choices)

How is that for tough love?!! We don't do "luck" here, we do harsh reality!!!

PS Well done on your loss this week :clap:
Well pointed out - Maybe "lucky" is the wrong word to use - I'll see if I can think up an alternative ! Hmmmmm

As you say, we don't do luck here - just hard work.
It has been a long slog for me - I have some health issues that have made it hard for me to lose (can't mention the word as Rod has banned it).
Hence my sig to try and actually encourage other ladies who are struggling with the same issues and to prove you can do it despite the problems.

You're right though, no excuses, no whinges. It is down to us when we gain - and us to get it back off again.

Last edited:
Rain - mac/kagoul/parka - whatever you want to call it - wear one! A hat or hood helps too. Boots or comfy wellies. And you're off!
Kids playing up - drag 'em out there with you . . . they'll soon learn and it will tire them out!
Tired? You'll be even more tired by the end of your walk but you'll feel all the better for it!

Focus! I thought that my weight loss would slow down as I got toward target but I clocked a 4lb loss one week (following a small gain the week before) and won slimmer of the week another week. Keep focused, keep your body moving, eat plenty of fruit/veg/soup and avoid the alcohol.

I just noticed your stats - we're the same height but you started one stone heavier than me and I'm now 3.5lb heavier than you're target weight. Why 9st7lb? I found it hard to come up with a target weight and initially aimed for 10st7lb but kept losing, so revised to 10st. I'm still losing now but don't want to go any lighter. I had my fat measured today and it's 31.5% which I'm over the moon about (normal range 30-35%) . . . Target weights do seem a bit arbitrary . . .

In summary, you may be after tough love but don't be too tough on yourself :)

yes i know your right, i was super focused the other week, went out in the rain, got lost (i went somewhere i hadnt been before) and found my way home 3 hours later hahaha, i did stop at a friends for a glass of water and a toilet break, but i ached like mad the next day and felt great. i am going out in the morning tomorrow, i prefer to get exercise out the way early. i set my goal at 9.7 and if im honest i may go to 9 but im seeing how i look and feel when i get there just because ive been there before and its the weight i felt great at, and im not selling myself short, its where i want to be and i know i can do it :D just gonna have to want it enough to work for it, plus ive ordered my bridesmaid dress in a 10 for decemeber so i HAVE to do this!

. I will try to get 3lbs this week so that I go under 14 stones - wish me luck (well not luck, but wish me the ability to be really good in my choices!)

Well, Lovely Kneehigh.....as Yoda says 'Do or Do not......there is no try'! So it's in the control of your hands/mouth/mind and exercise plan!

Thank you everyone for being so lovely. You are right. Time to stop being amazed and to believe and understand that I have done it and will keep doing what is necessary to shed the last bit and stay there. I look at my reflection to underline that this is me. At yoga tonight, I saw how different my shape is now. I need to underline the understanding tht this new size 14-16 person is me - and me in transition as I hope I will be 12, or maybe 12/14 before I'm done.

I liked Bassers as the collective for the Tough Lovers on here (and we could hardly call ourselves Rodders, could we?! ).

Live this thread.

Can I join for a kick up the bum please? I've been really focused for over a month and gave myself a stern talking to and it worked I lost 6 pound, I sts last week despite not doing anything worse and it deflated me, I know that a sts happens now and again and it's not the end if the world but for some reason it just got me into a bad mindset. I just want to eat, well I don't, I want my motivation back. I've lost almost 3 stone and have just over 1.5 stone to target do need to get a grip. I'm waiting for an ass kicking now :)

look who's stumbled into the clearing, welcome to the jungle Lou, there's loads of little cats prowling and yowling around here and I'm very glad they help dishing out the tough love, cos sometimes I am slack in logging on (busy walking the walk and losing pounds in the process see??)

Anyway everyone deserves one welcoming dressing down from the only lion with a mane around here, so hold on tight sister...I shall review your posts and compile a special lambasting just so you are under no illusion - you ain't in Kansas anymore, you in the jungle baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod the Bass said:
look who's stumbled into the clearing, welcome to the jungle Lou, there's loads of little cats prowling and yowling around here and I'm very glad they help dishing out the tough love, cos sometimes I am slack in logging on (busy walking the walk and losing pounds in the process see??)

Anyway everyone deserves one welcoming dressing down from the only lion with a mane around here, so hold on tight sister...I shall review your posts and compile a special lambasting just so you are under no illusion - you ain't in Kansas anymore, you in the jungle baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh hell I'm a bit scared now lol

Sorry to interupt the kitten talk .... I have something AMAZING to share.

As you may know, I have been much more motivated on the way down going from 28s and 26s through 24s, 22s, 20s, 18s and now into 16s for trousers and some forgiving 14 tops. It's been great and mattered much more than the other numbers - stones, kilos and lbs.

BUT ....going and getting that century badge this afternoon: WOW!

It seems like a real milestone. I am amazed that I have achieved this.

I have been overweight all my adult life ...and getting fatter by 1/2 a stone or a stone a year, most years. I have done all sorts of regimes and felt powerless to shed the increasing poundage and to keep it off. I knew what I needed to do (inputs, outputs, exercise) and couldn't do it. I tried and failed repeatedly. Really really frustrating as I am so capable in every other aspect of my life.

It seemed insurmountable. And as I got fatter, it seemed more and more difficult.

In fact, when I started the Alizonne prgramme, I didn't think I would suceed. I knew if I did not take action, I would have ended up in a wheelchair, unable to walk and die way too early.

So I decided that Alizonne was safe (a GP supervised vlcd with blood tests etc) and that it had great results - melting fat from the toughest areas. My DH supported me, and I began - just taking it one day at a time. The great thing was that having 100-110 calories of protein 5 times a day plus salads and vegetables, I was never physically hungry. It was so simple that I knew what I needed to do and just took it one day at a time. Sometimes, one hour at a time, sachet by sachet during the day.

Because Alizonne is a vlcd (probably about 800 calories with the salad, vegetables and olive oil), the weight came off very fast. That became a virtuous circle. Each week I shed 1-2kgs, and so was very motvated to continue. Sometimes it wasn't easy but deviating didn't make sense to me. I didn't think of it as 'cheating' but as a deviation. Somehow a tougher word as people (not here on Rod's thread) often say oh ..it's just a little cheat - or it doesn't matter, hon. Like h*ll it matters.

So apart from a couple of days in the past month when I had a small amount of chicken and some extra yogurt, I have been 100% for 6+ months. And those two deviation hurt - I shook myself off and decided to get a grip and get on.

I learned to ask others for what I need and not being self conscious about asking for salad, not eating birthday cake and not drinking alcohol. I didn't feel much different until I'd shed 5 stone. I've exercised more as I've got thinner - though less at the moement as I have a back injury.

And now.....here I am - 2/3 of the weight I started at. I will talk to the Alizonne GP tomorrow about my target weight - and finalise where I will stop, and managing that with my long September holiday.

I realise that this is the easy bit. Right now, I choose some real protein (usually 140g fish or scallops or 120g chicken and occassional red meat) with my vegetables for supper and am still on sachets earlier in the day and a lunchtime salad. Having had 'healthy' eating habits that gradually added weight, I am re-thinking my cooking habits, and working out how I will maintain.

Alizonne will give me a medgem at goal - so I will know the 'budget' of calories I can have to maintain. It will probably be around 1,600 calories as my starting medgem was just over 2,200 calores to maintain my starting weight of more than 21 stone.

I've been reading the maintainence threads here for various regimes including Dukan, the vlcds and other diets. I will work a low carb higher protein paleo real food plan around that number, with 5 meal a day - breakfast, lunch, supper and two snacks mid morning and mid afternoon. I will weigh daily, and stay within a few lbs of my maintainence weight. I will track food on MyFitnessPal - where other Alizonners go when they get to maintenance - probably being higher fat and lower carb than standard uk diet. I will develop a new normality for my life. I like the Dukan approach that has a longer period of establishing that new normality the longer you have been fat. Alizonners go back monthly for a year after they get to goal. They re-do the medgem at the one year anniversary to check the resting metabolic rate. I think two years is a better period for me - as it is so easy to slip back.

I am emotional this afternoon and happy with myself. I have been quietly satisfied - but that's ramped up some now. I look forward to reviewing my target with the GP tomorrow so I can finalise how much more I will loose.

Thank you for listening, Bassers.

now that is the post of the month, huge well done Ali and thanks for sharing the story

I've never worried about what diet/lifestyle choice/plan anyone that comes here is on, all I want is for people to succeed and do what they say they are gonna do - and people validating cheating / deviations (good word but it's cheating made fluffy) is nothing short of abuse for the weak.

Thats why this thread was created and thats why, for some, it's successful - if you (pardon the pun) have the stomach for it!

Ali, your story is very similar to mine and when I started I had no thought that I would succeed, I thought I'd do a few weeks if I was lucky then slip back in my old ways.

For whatever reason, somehow I found the guts to go for it and told the world that this time would be my time, for good. And 49lbs later I believe it.

you all have to believe in yourselves and your spirit. You have to have a target with a time on it and break that journey down into manageable chunks. I keep banging on about planning, but this is because if you don't know the way to a destination, how will you get there??? Answers on a piece of string.....

We are made as simple, intelligent living creatures that need "X" amount of calories to function correctly with a side serving of moderate, regular exercise and some fresh air.

Modern life kills, I believe it. And the more I research the more convinced I am that plans like paleo/primal etc are the right way to go FOR ME.

I am struggling with getting my head around lots of the principles and mostly how to live that way in the long run (I have the answer, it's called planning, who likes planning??? LOL), but inadvertantly I have designed my own way of getting this far, so far, which closely mirrors the principles that I am now researching.

maybe it's fate, maybe I like being mostly a carnivore, maybe I recognise that carb-spike feeling I am reading about and decided I'd have no more of it. I believe the science and for me, it makes sense.

Here's the soul stuff for everyone, this is random stuff I've just made up but things I do and have done to kick my own life in the butt

Listen to your instincts
Look yourself in the eye every morning and ask hard questions of your resolve and your conscience
Throw old, big clothes in the charity bag and discard - you have no use for these anymore
Reward yourself with exercise not food - this releases endorphins that make you feel good and LESS tired. And a walk is cheaper than chocolate
Unchain yourself from the weekly cycle you lived. The sofa and the soaps are not real life. It's outside the door. (I've always done this, but you can benefit too - I don't do soaps!)
Surprise yourself with trying something new. Dance? Martial Arts? Learn to swim. Learn a new stroke. Embrace the swimming costume! (Check out Pommette, there's inspiration right there!)
Spend some money on some good stuff. A new pair of foxy jeans? A haircut? A shave? A new pair of decent boots to pound the pavement and the local byways?
Prepare some organic meat or wild caught fish beautifully. This is on my list to do.

Warren017.jpg

The fish bit is easy for me thankfully. I will report what and how.

Can everyone please either pick something from the above or conjure up your own soul stuff and tell us what it is

did you see how with this long post I have managed to get everyone off the subject of cats?

Long live the cat thread and best of luck to all who sail in her.

Meantime this big cat wants to see everyone buckle down hard and make the progress their efforts deserve

Last edited:
I gave myself a thorough kick up the arse after my STS last week and today I have had WI with a 5lb loss. This was a lot more than I anticipated to be honest but I have been ill. I will try to get 3lbs this week so that I go under 14 stones - wish me luck (well not luck, but wish me the ability to be really good in my choices!)

ah, nice to see you back Shortround, glad you climbed safely out of the custard, and what a result! 5lbs!!!

in all truth you were possibly at a plateau, another day and you would have shown a loss instead of the STS I expect. But the encouraging thing is that you buckled down and showed yourself (and your conscience) who is the boss

5lbs is a stunning drop and I am made up for you

keep up the good work sister and keep on checking in, maybe your days of being my most troublesome of posters are numbered???

Morning Bassers (that does make me chuckle :)) - well since our Leader has been talking about planning here's one of my favourite phrases "Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail". Has served me well in life and its true enough. So in my plan for a few days break down the road with the outlaws I have already checked out the menus at the two restaurants they have booked and have choices in the starters and mains for both places which will fit nicely into my WW plan.

Because I will miss my kettlebell workouts, I have done them back to back since Sunday (not for the faint-hearted but I'm a hard nut :)) so have completed this week's and it means I will only miss Sunday's workout which I can accommodate when I get back. So exercise remains on track and of course I will be doing lots of walking when I get there as there are proper shops! Never underestimate how many calories you can burn with brisk walking around shops and doing the typical woman thing of doubling back and stopping dead and back-tracking when something catches you're eye! Plus I have a wardrobe to restock as I donate everything as soon as it gets too big and looks daft.

So my plannning is done and I am looking forward to a few days change of scene and catching up with folk. Hoping to get a better reaction than I did from my Father in Law a few weeks ago who just said "Bl00dy hell" when he saw me. The first time in over a year I might add. A man of few words and even fewer manners but that's another story! :D

Cheers Peeps. x

Wow Bassers, what an amazing post. YOu have done amazing things and are proof that anything is possible if your head is there. Well done you.

thats fine by me :D

i need someone to say to me that it is absolutely NOT ok to have too many cals and lay on the sofa all day, im getting closer to target and it is gonna be tough im gonna have to cut back more and im not gonna do it by 'deviating' as aligal so rightly put it. as you know, im into the whole psychological thing behind weight loss and im a massive fan of owning what youve eaten, i have lied to myself in the past and it geets me no where other than heavier! the beck book i read motivated me quite a bit and had some great bits of tough love in it. but this weekend my resolve has waivered, im not sure why really, i just ate one bad thing then i just though screw it and carried on and on and on....today im bloated and feeling really really cross with myself, it wasnt worth it AT ALL. today i had 1300 cals instead of my usual 1200 and ive done no exercise so not that great either really, but i did stop myself from having that choccie bar i wanted by having 4 pints of NAS juice (thats how many it took until my cravings went lol) hubby came in and ate a full bar in front of me laughing, which wasnt very nice but a great test cos i just thought, its taken you 2 minutes to eat that.....i would have eaten it quicker no doubt and then would have felt guilty for hours and hours....not worth it. i need to get my bum in gear and go walking again...my favourite excuses are, its raining, im tired, the kids are playing up...feel free to kick my butt!!! :)

aligal...wow!! well done you, great attitude, great loss!!!! hope you manage to keep it up

it's absolutely not OK to have too many calories and lie on the sofa all day

you are in the "near the goal wobble" place - same place as Emma P

psychologically it's impossible for you not to feel great and satisfied with what you have achieved. You are almost there. People are complimenting your look and your effort. And it's a race almost won. I'm struggling as well and I have over 30lbs to go!

Honesty and determination are the key ingredients. I am pleased to see you went for a walk, got lost and came home knackered and, later, feeling great. Too many excuses and it's down the pan sister, the whole lot.

You need to hold onto that experience and learn from it, it's one that has stuck in your mind for two reasons

1) you were uncomfortable for a while - thats new and refreshing for your body and entirely good for you
2) you felt great after - unlike when you cracked and guzzled junk. Make that feeling stick in your mind

check out my long recent post in response to AliGal.

you need to keep exercising and reward OR punish yourself with more exercise, you are young, strong and fit and entirely capable of handling a little more. These small increments WILL make a difference and catalyse your fat-burning. The sofa will not help

We will help, but only you have control of your hands and what you stuff into your mouth.

I don't particularly care for your husbands abuse, I suggest you leave the room in a serious huff next time he does that, he'll soon get the message, us men hate being in the cack for doing or saying the wrong thing. It's not funny and tell him you can't hear anyone laughing....a bruised male ego when jokes fall flat is a wonderful tool for you ladies....

you had great advice about walking in the rain from Sal, the kids will actually enjoy it and so will you I promise - wellies n coats and get out there........

your resolve will waver from time to time, mine does, but check out this whole thread, how many people have benefitted from just buckling down and doing it themselves without people telling them it's ok to cheat?

ITS NOT OK TO CHEAT. here's the tough love.....

I don't care what your mum and dad told you, you are not special. No-one thats ever walked the planet has a unique "I can cheat nature" gene. Unless you tell me different and can prove it, i know I'm right. Sorry to pee in your breakfast, but you are just like the rest of us. And if you are sedentary and indisciplined your scales will go up, not down. I fear for you in the tortoise thread, i have no idea what it is like, but it sounds like bullsh!t central from the comments I've seen here.

You don't belong there any more.

you belong in the jungle running wild, fit, healthy and free from the blubber that makes you unhappy. I assume my licence to kick your ass will still be valid next week if you post any more of your cheating, loose nonsense

Ideally you will prove me wholly wrong and buckle down sister. Whichever way you go, the rest of us will roll forward and downward, with or without you.

We'd love you along, but ultimately we all walk the path and face the man alone....

Back