TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

Rod the Bass said:
Drinking!

Well I WAS the worlds worst - and now I just tell people I have a booze "problem" and they tend to change the subject!

I don't have a "problem" really, apart from a) loving to get drunk 2) being good at being the last man standing £) being able to afford it *) being able to recover from it

and loads of other letters of the alphabet and symbols and numbers

booze is IMO a MAJOR reason the weight sticks, due to high calorific and LOW GI content and also it LOWERS willpower

drink if you want, but watch those secret calories

I did a party dry last weekend, got friends over tonight and a festival birthday party tomorrow - I am gonna do them all dry.

It's easy. it's healthy. And I get a kick out of being the lone wolf anyway

I rarely drink these days either - it makes it more in when I do let my hair down! And I always try to go for low syn options so I can have more ;)

Don't use any excuses just tell them you don't want to drink.Nothing wrong with having sparkling water with a slice of lemon in it.
At the end of the day it's down to you not your friends if you want alcohol.
How much will power do you have and how much do you want to lose weight?

Report back after the weekend and let us know how it went.:)

amen to that sister, that post gets a 10/10 RtB approval rating - well done

2.5 off for me tonight :) I want to get under 16stone next week, I am aiming for 3 lbs minimum, I need 2.5 though.

Please give me some kick-butt ways to really push myself and get some amazing results this week. Bizarre or extreme suggestions welcome.

6 weigh ins til my wedding, spurring me on :)

a streak of red days sister - meat n veg, fish n veg, meat n salad, fish n salad

thats what I do - and up the exercise to not stupid levels, but a brisk walk (2 miles?) should take half hour a day MAX and will cataylse your metabolism to burn fat

keep the carbs v low and bin the booze until the champagne toast (or a pre-ceremony shot of vodka!!)

good luck, you've had a great couple weeks, SUCCESS BREEDS SUCCESS..AND CHEATING IS BULLSH!T

Be warned Weightloss like puppies is not just for the big day! Its for life and I can think of very few better motivations than getting married to move to a healthier lifestyle. Think of it like your marriage, the day is big and exciting and wonderful but what really matters is the life that follows. The loss is awesome but the lifestyle is key.

a streak of red days sister - meat n veg, fish n veg, meat n salad, fish n salad

thats what I do - and up the exercise to not stupid levels, but a brisk walk (2 miles?) should take half hour a day MAX and will cataylse your metabolism to burn fat

keep the carbs v low and bin the booze until the champagne toast (or a pre-ceremony shot of vodka!!)

good luck, you've had a great couple weeks, SUCCESS BREEDS SUCCESS..AND CHEATING IS BULLSH!T

exiguous said:
Be warned Weightloss like puppies is not just for the big day! Its for life and I can think of very few better motivations than getting married to move to a healthier lifestyle. Think of it like your marriage, the day is big and exciting and wonderful but what really matters is the life that follows. The loss is awesome but the lifestyle is key.

Couldn't agree more :) I had already started dieting before my wedding was planned, it's not the reason I'm losing weight at all! I could do with dropping some inches on my arms as my dress is a bit tight there, so I want to try not to have it altered :) I'm a cheapskate!

I just keep thinking... This time next year I could be at target... That's amazing :D

Rod the Bass said:
I constantly read very sympathetic replies to people who are struggling with their various weight loss travails

Empathy and the ability to nurture is the most wonderful trait a human being can have and it's definitely prevelant in all you lovely ladies

I dont have any. I'm just a plain, simple man.

I rarely see anyone post cold, hard truth. If it's there it's wrapped up in warm, cosy fluffiness

All I want to do is get six stone off. I am almost halfway there. Then I want to keep it off.

So I would like to offer my services

Be warned....

I don't know how you feel
I don't care if you think are addicted to chocolate. You're not and you can't have it
I'm sorry but if you put all that into your mouth in one day, that's your fault
There's no need to eat more because you moved house - plan your life!
Your body isn't weak, your mind is
If you eat the kids leftovers and it's bad food, why are you giving that to your kids?
Exercise will not kill you

and I don't know a thing about "lady's week" so please don't ask...

I promise to be as kind as I can.

but if you want sympathy because you've only lost 0.5lb this month, look elsewhere.

because I can shave that off with a razor....

lets have some fun!

Cant agree more ... on the weeks i dont lose weight i know its because ive eaten things i prob shouldnt, and dont try to blame other things ... I ate it, its my problem the more i eat that i shouldnt the longer it will take to get the weight off.

I was once given some tough love (only once because I then killed the person lol - just joking) and was reminded "You can have results or you can have excuses but you can't have both"

lisajade;5308344 i just keep thinking... This time next year i could be at target... That's amazing :d[/quote said:
wrong

this time next year you will be at target

cant agree more ... On the weeks i dont lose weight i know its because ive eaten things i prob shouldnt, and dont try to blame other things ... I ate it, its my problem the more i eat that i shouldnt the longer it will take to get the weight off.

how about we get the yoyo out of your name once and for all sister?

.Just been directed to this thread and though I haven't had time to read it all the way through I reckon it's a breath of fresh air to not see the simpering sycophantic Kittens and Rainbows "Oh sure it's OK to eat crap and drink booze and not exercise. As long as you're honest and post it here so we can all feel better about our failures those 4,000 calories don't even count" As a card carrying member of the Non-diplomatic core myself I love the honest "really helpful" approach and honest warts and all advice

Well done Rod I look forward to reading this thread in more detail when I have time

.Just been directed to this thread and though I haven't had time to read it all the way through I reckon it's a breath of fresh air to not see the simpering sycophantic Kittens and Rainbows "Oh sure it's OK to eat crap and drink booze and not exercise. As long as you're honest and post it here so we can all feel better about our failures those 4,000 calories don't even count" As a card carrying member of the Non-diplomatic core myself I love the honest "really helpful" approach and honest warts and all advice

Well done Rod I look forward to reading this thread in more detail when I have time
Hey - nice to meet you here Karlos. You sound like a good bloke to have on board Rod's thread.
Oops - sorry Rod - better leave the welcome to you!! :D

Pommette said:
Hey - nice to meet you here Karlos. You sound like a good bloke to have on board Rod's thread.
Oops - sorry Rod - better leave the welcome to you!! :D

I think he's down the pub, or mcdonalds :D

gettingfit said:
He was having one of his 'dry' parties last night.:)

Oops! Apologies Rod for the slander :)

I am off to my local butcher to stock up on meat for a red week kicking off today. Looking forward to some tasty burgers later!

Phew - manic exercising with the kettlebell paid off. 1lb loss this morning, thus avoiding any stupid self-imposed chocolate-related gain! :D

I am now exactly the same weight as I was 14 years ago when I in my twenties (just)! :clap:

Last edited:
Cat Lover Sue said:
Phew - manic exercising with the kettlebell paid off. 1lb loss this morning, thus avoiding any stupid self-imposed chocolate-related gain! :D

I am now exactly the same weight as I was 14 years ago when I just in my twenties (just)! :clap:

Yay! Nice work! Now just imagine if you'd laid off the chocolate! Next week :)

I would love to do kettlebells, but I have a mild problem with me wrists - do you find it puts strain on your wrists Sue?

validation from a dude, many thanks amigo that means a lot. I know you understand why this thread kicked off!

I'm always outnumbered but never outgunned, but thank you for a suitably testosterone fuelled post and please come alongside again when you have time!

I'm loving the alcohol info in this thread. I have never had such a long dry period in my adult life. We don't drink a lot at home. Most of the alcohol I drank was at working dinners, with friends at supper or sunday lunches and parties. I'm getting great training on going out and not drinking. A few times, I've gone home early because everyone else is drunk and talking nonsense. But mostly I've had a great time and a clear head the following morning. The only times it has been difficult has been when there is something really good on offer - a bottle of champagne sent in our room at our step daughter's wedding, wonderful red wine at a friend's 50th birthday and some sauternes at a formal dinner. It is important to have a strategy for saying no and getting a glass of something you do want to drink (sparkling water and a slice and ice, mostly) into your hand. If I'm asked, I say I'm not drinking - implying a health problem.

I realise how much junk alcohol I drank. I now believe we have junk alcohol just as much as we have junk food. It's often cheaply made, sold a lowish prices and not good quality. So I think one aspect of maintenance for me will be only having really good quality alcohol on special occassions. That will be a good way of managing the intake of empty calories. And then I'll avoid the potential of eating inappropriate food when drunk.

So I've had a slow down - deviating with some yogurt and moreish chicken combined with little exercise due to hurting my knee and lower back. I've sorted out the food deviation and am back on track and down 7 stones - just 1lb short of my century badge. I'm walking again - but not as far and fast as before yet. I have another osteopath appointment next week.

I'm on Alizonne - a vlcd with fat melting and skin toghtening treatments. So my routine is breakfast shake, Alizonne ommlette or cereal and a shake for elevenses. Lunch is a salad with one of the hot meals made from a savoury sachet.I have another shake mid afternoon, unless I have an Alizonne bun or pancake made in an omlette pan. Supper is 120g meat or 140g fish with low carb vegetables.Sometimes I have rhubarb - great with a vanilla or caramel shake.

I don't recommend vlcds for everyone - but think they can be a really useful tool for some of us. What I have learnt is that whatever diet you do, the protein is important. Good quality protein stops you from being hungry and stokes your brown fat to burn calories. All calories are not equal. We should eat real food, low carb veggies and ditch the 'low calorie low fat' manufactured products. It was interesting to read the recent research that people using low fat salad dressing products don't absorb the caretenoids in the salad as well as people using an olive oil dressing.

I'm 14st 5lb, 16 BMI points down and nearly 1/3 of my starting weight shed - just over 7st. I didn't think I would succeed when I started - it seemed unsurmountable. So I acted as if I believed it would work - and it has. I just took it one day at a time, and sometimes, just one hour at a time, and have always made it my choice. This is not an imposition - I chose to eat and exercise and live in such a way that I got very fat. Now I am making healthier decisions. I don't always get it right - but if I don't, I pick myself up and get back on track. Who knew I could do that? I didn't ....

I'm more excited about wearing smaller sizes (14-16 now) than the scales and am quietly really really happy with myself for sticking with it. It takes focus - and remembering, as I have over 3 decades of eating and drinking too much.

I love this thread and will stay part of it when manitaining - as I realise that shedding is the 'easy' bit. It's learning a new normal to sustain our new figures. I love the concept that a diet is like a puppy - we need healthy ways of living for life.

Thank you, Everyone, for listening and posting!

Back