TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

ahh so that was the mysterious disappearing post! I thought there was some sort of scandal that I missed.

Smiley - lol I meant you commit to going walking and I will commit to running (or other exercise) so that we are both out and doing something and accountable to eachother. Although I like the idea of running rings round you :D

How will this exercise challenge thread work then guys? If we are all doing different exercises how can we 'compete' and spur eachother on? We have people doing fishing, kettlebells, boxing, walking, running, swimming.....the list goes on (how good are we?! proud of us all after reading that list! phew!!)

Ideas on a postcard..........

ahh so that was the mysterious disappearing post! I thought there was some sort of scandal that I missed.

Smiley - lol I meant you commit to going walking and I will commit to running (or other exercise) so that we are both out and doing something and accountable to eachother. Although I like the idea of running rings round you :D

How will this exercise challenge thread work then guys? If we are all doing different exercises how can we 'compete' and spur eachother on? We have people doing fishing, kettlebells, boxing, walking, running, swimming.....the list goes on (how good are we?! proud of us all after reading that list! phew!!)

Ideas on a postcard..........

Maybe we could just have a statement like this...

LisaJade: "I will do 3 sessions at the boxing club every week". Achieved: 1 week (or however many)
Bob: "I will spend 100 minutes exercising in some form every week". Achieved: 3 weeks
Jane: "I will walk to work every day instead of getting the bus". Achieved: 0 weeks

We could restart every 6 weeks or whatever with a new statement.

I don't know, its hard when we all have such different starting points :)

Well we can set individual goals For a month or a week and just support each other. Nice and simple with a tough love flavour.

Sent from my LG-LU3700 using MiniMins

bloody nora you lot can gab!!!! right this is a long one!! but i missed to tag patchninjas post about her great loss...so well done on that first off...now down to business

Morning all, had my proper weigh in today...and am pleased with a half pound off!! It doesn't sound like much..I know...but after a holiday, I'm delighted. Holidays used to mean 6lb gains for me!! Am happy with this result :)

fabby result, well done!

You are so right about the starving thing. I am definitely not doing it next week, I wasn't trying to starve myself for weigh in (OK, maybe a bit) but I always plan a pizza night for a wednesday - it is late to cook a proper meal and I love pizza! And this means I have to ease off the rest of the day. But yeah, I think that particular habit has to go. Next week I will be organised and have something I have batch cooked ready for when I get home.

Other than that I am happy with the class thing, I probably could do it alone now I have TL on my side, but personally I really like the regularity of weighing once a week and the people there are all lovely. It is a bit more positive than lots of groups I have gone to before, where people sit around and laugh because they have spent the day scoffing cookies and been 'naughty'.

i love your almost honesty lol, you always make me smile bonnie....anyway thats enough niceness from me :D you could do it alone, but its your choice, its your life, your body and do what you want to do, but seriously dont starve yourself before weigh in...i eat normally when i weigh in and as you know im a serial weigher...what ive discovered the past 3 weeks is that i actually weigh less in the afternoon after breakfast, dinner and plenty of fluids than what i weigh in a morning...by a whole pound. i have proved this to be correct day after day, 3 weeks of research have gone into this...for some reason i weigh more in a morning...maybe its water retention or something im not sure, but dont be fooled by thinking fasting all day will make you thinner for weigh in, your not cheating the scales your just fooling yourself. dont pig out, just eat normally. breakfast and dinner and perhaps a light snack, have your tea prepared for when you get home, and maybe take another on plan snack to weigh in with you.

I must confess to eating exactly the same measly crumbs every weigh-in day. 1 banana, 30g fruit and fibre with a yoghurt. I then stop drinking from 3pm. I weigh in at 5:30, don't usually get home til 7:30, and I have just decided to change this since reading your comments. Its ridiculous. It has led to many a night of bad eating after WI, though not lately. Tonight I will go well fed, well-hydrated and because I have also started my boxing club this week, after a long time without any real exercise, possibly some water retention too. Sounds like a recipe for a gain, but it will mean a cracking loss next week, and the weeks and months after. Well worth it :)

tut tut...see above

Thanks bonnie, you had a good loss too. And fair play for re-thinking how u will approach ur weigh in days from now on.

I don't go to someone to get weighed anymore...I do it myself, first thing in the morning each week. It took me ages to break away from going to a group...but actually, I can be accountable to just me, and I'm a much harsher critic!!

A big habit I still struggle with is not binging after I weigh...it's such an old habit...and takes a huge effort to break! It's the whole thing of realising I'm not a dog that should be rewarded with food!

How does or did anyone else break this habit???

i weigh in most days so if i were to have a post weigh in binge id be gaining weight. i used to binge after weigh in but now i want to make every single meal count. if i have a bad meal or binge i just feel bad and i dont like feeling bad. why do you do it? do you think it doesnt count? i cut out snacks a few weeks ago, and it was soooo hard the first few days but i felt better the cravings stopped and the weight started coming off, i started snacking again...all within my allowance im not cheating myself, but im hungrier. so its been knocked on the head.

Lost 2 1/2lbs whoop thanks guys for the support i really needed the kick up the bum :)

woooooooooo well bloody done girly!! you deserve that loss, amazing!! you are truly amazing, proud of you

Only a 3.1kg loss this week. Yes, I know some of you think that's a lot, but trust me, I could be doing better. And since I can't possibly diet any more, the reason is my exercise levels. I keep making excuses like "I'm too busy at the weekends" or "I've got no time after work".

So this week I am switching my walk to the morning, and I'm getting up half an hour early to get it in. Gotta have a shower every day - might as well have a good reason for it!

The worst thing is, another 0.1kg and I'd be under 22 stone, which I can't remember since the beginning of the decade. Still, one more week and I'll hit goal II

right, im sorry but im not going to be as nice as the others, im mad with you.....you lost arounf half a stone and your disappointed? seriously? why?? how much do you think is an acceptable amount? you have lost over 2 stone in 3 weeks....3 WEEKS!! and yes you have a lot to lose, but your not going to lose it all in a matter of a few weeks, im sorry but your not. stop being so impatient and down on yourself, youve done FANTASTIC and i dont think your attitude is going to help you in the long run...this is tough LOVE not 'beat yourself up for not losing a stone a week' if your making excuses not to exercise then fine...increase that but for the love of god please open your eyes and see how well youve done! your science boy...you KNOW that your not going to be able to keep up massive losses each week, i told you this the other day but no amount seems like its enough...what are you goig to do when your losses slow to 1-2 pound a week? and they will at some point..or what if you have a sts????.you need to accept that your body is shedding the fat as efficiently as it can, and you KNOW that losing massive amounts all the time can lead to losing lean muscle mass, which is what actually keeps your weight coming off at a faster rate, so whilst i understand your impatience at wanting to lose weight, you are going to have to accept that your not going to lose a stone each week. i want to hear you sounding more positive about things as i honestly believe that if you keep being down on yourself like this your going to end up feeling really fed up and i dont want that for ANYONE. now pick yourself up, take a look in the mirror and tell yourself your doing it...you are losing weight and this is a journey not a race, we all want to be at target like yesterday but its just not possible....do more exercise by all means, keep on with the diet your on but please try to see how well your doing. theres no shame in admitting your doing well. now well done...im proud of you even if your not...2 stone in 3 weeks is phenominal...ill say it again PHE-NOM-IN-AL!!

Hey Patchninja, that is Epic! Isn't that about 2lbs? Just keep the chipping away and your day will come! Well done.

This has been a REALLY GOOD WEEK FOR THE BASSERS. Just waiting on your results on the weekend now Lou, don't let the side down!

im trgying my hardest...been for a 3 hours walk today and done loads of cleaning, only just sat down for lunch..which is ham salad, and im having stir fry for tea. i havent got weighed today and not sure what time to get weighed tomorrow, for some reason i weigh more in a morning? like i say maybe water retention. but no snacking again tonight...just tea then juice. ive got quite bad pains in my stomach today, im not sure what it is....it started when i was exercising the other day, i hope it isnt a hernia. eurgh. im trying to ignore it but i thikn i need to get it checked out.

Fingers crossed it isn't a hernia lou!

Just making a pledge here that I am going to go running tonight - 2 nights with terrible sleep in a row, I feel like a dead woman walking - but I am going to go home, put on my kit and zoom out the door the minute OH gets home...and do a min 4 mile run. So if I say different tonight, I need a rollicking. I would be much better going the minute I get home (and have missed some runs in the past because I have procrastinated) so there isn't time to change my mind, but tbh my lovely dog has been on her own all day (I go home for an hour to walk her at lunctime as I live v close to work though) and I don't like to leave her again in the evenings.

Just making a pledge here that I am going to go running tonight - 2 nights with terrible sleep in a row, I feel like a dead woman walking - but I am going to go home, put on my kit and zoom out the door the minute OH gets home...and do a min 4 mile run. So if I say different tonight, I need a rollicking. I would be much better going the minute I get home (and have missed some runs in the past because I have procrastinated) so there isn't time to change my mind, but tbh my lovely dog has been on her own all day (I go home for an hour to walk her at lunctime as I live v close to work though) and I don't like to leave her again in the evenings.

erm......excuses already, stop giving yourself a get out clause...how long does it take you to do 4 miles? 45 minutes? im sure shell cope for an extra 45 minutes, or take her with you? go for a speed walk instead of a run, the dog will love it and you kill 2 birds with one stone. im off to quacks at 5...its really tender. i hope im not seeing a total idiot of a doctor...theres a few at my surgery.

I take my dog running with me. He's a foxhound and needs loads of exercise. He loves it and it's helped with his training (he came from the Dogs Trust at Christmas - he was only 18 months and we were his 4th home). I get exercise, he gets exercise, he then sleeps for the next few hours - loads of birds killed with one stone :)

Now you're going to tell me your dog is old and can't go running . . . go get yourself a foxhound to keep the old dog company! No excuses!!

jezzi999 said:
Just a quick post to say I will be dropping out of Tough Love thread for a bit.

You all gave me some useful feedback yesterday (and indeed the last few weeks) and I'm extremely grateful. It has really helped informed my decision.

I won't give a full account, as of course TL is a no-excuses zone and most of my reasons are of course excuses (!), but just a quick summary.

I started SW as a framework to break my binge cycle, on the advice of a counsellor/dietician with a special interest in EDs. Her advice was to focus on healthy eating for a few months and not necessarily losses. I chose to "forgot" this advice, but I've realised I need to remain mindful of it. I've lost 1/2st so far just from following SW and not binging, and I'm sure as long as I stay on the straight and narrow that'll continue, but the losses are secondary to me and my real goal right now is to deal with my baggage and address some of my eating "issues".

I will NOT be binging, and I will be sticking to SW. Because of these two promises, I WILL continue to lose.

But as my focus is on sorting my head out, and not directly on loss or maintaining, I'm on a slightly different trajectory to most of you at the moment, and that's fine but I don't want to be a distraction constantly pulling the thread in another direction. You are all doing amazingly well, and very dedicated and I'll use that to inspire me.

In a few months, if things are going well for me and my head is in the right place, I will be right back on here and giving you a goal date and a target and being as dedicated as the rest of you wonderful people.

Thanks for all the tough love, I have absorbed and am processing all of it, and appreciate all the time and advice given.

To those on the SW boards, see you around!

Tbh Hun, that's not an excuse it's a bloody good and valid reason, when I posted my response I didn't know you had an eating disorder and I apologise sincerely if I made you feel bad. Your right to concentrate on your head space etc, and I hope that you o ercome your demons. Good luck xx

jezzi999 said:
It's fine, no offence or trouble taken, I came on Tough Love for tough love and that's what I got and that's what I needed, especially while I found my feet :)

Everyone has been wonderful and I'll be back as soon as I'm in the right place to be on the journey with you all :)

Well pop
On the chat thread to say hi and keep us updated. Don't be a stranger!!! I really hope you find you feet with it all. And just do what makes YOU happy. Be gentle with yourself x

jezzi999 said:

You all gave me some useful feedback yesterday (and indeed the last few weeks) and I'm extremely grateful. It has really helped informed my decision.

I won't give a full account, as of course TL is a no-excuses zone and most of my reasons are of course excuses (!), but just a quick summary.

I started SW as a framework to break my binge cycle, on the advice of a counsellor/dietician with a special interest in EDs. Her advice was to focus on healthy eating for a few months and not necessarily losses. I chose to "forgot" this advice, but I've realised I need to remain mindful of it. I've lost 1/2st so far just from following SW and not binging, and I'm sure as long as I stay on the straight and narrow that'll continue, but the losses are secondary to me and my real goal right now is to deal with my baggage and address some of my eating "issues".

I will NOT be binging, and I will be sticking to SW. Because of these two promises, I WILL continue to lose.

But as my focus is on sorting my head out, and not directly on loss or maintaining, I'm on a slightly different trajectory to most of you at the moment, and that's fine but I don't want to be a distraction constantly pulling the thread in another direction. You are all doing amazingly well, and very dedicated and I'll use that to inspire me.

In a few months, if things are going well for me and my head is in the right place, I will be right back on here and giving you a goal date and a target and being as dedicated as the rest of you wonderful people.

Thanks for all the tough love, I have absorbed and am processing all of it, and appreciate all the time and advice given.

I'll see you around the other forums Jezzi :)

right, im sorry but im not going to be as nice as the others, im mad with you.....(snip)
You're misunderstanding me, though. I'm not disappointed in the loss at all. It's just the realisation that there's such a long long road ahead. There's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I'm quitting, and I'm just going to channel my frustration into other stuff, but even if the loss stays the same (which it won't) then I've got another 20 weeks of this to go. Probably more like 25-30 weeks realistically.

That's a bloody long time to go without proper food. And there's nothing going to make me happy about losing weight, because I'm so angry at the weight being there in the first place.

Part of me thinks "Yeah, I could probably quit this and switch to a calorie counted diet" but then I occasionally still feel the same cravings for pizza and McDs that caused all the trouble. Food addiction, it's a nasty, nasty thing.

But the simple story is this. Once upon a time, I crammed all that food into my mouth. No-one has force fed me a morsel. And now it's payback time.

Everyone in this thread is a lovely person, and you've REALLY helped me in many ways, especially getting started on the exercise. That's where I need the support - the weight loss will be what it will be. Like I said, if you feed a fat bloke 570 calories a day, chances are he'll get thinner.

If there's one lesson to be learned from this thread, it's that if you have a diet plan, and you have an exercise plan, and you stick to them honestly, then you WILL end up with the body shape you want. And the only person between you and that goal is yourself. I've got that well and truly burned into my psyche, but for me that goal is an awfully long way away.

So I hope you'll forgive me if I don't do a cartwheel every week. It doesn't mean I'm down on myself, or that I'm giving up. I've got my goals mapped out down below, and I'll be happy when I hit number two next week, and number three in a few weeks time.

Blimey that was a cathartic old ramble. If this thread charged for psychotherapy it could afford to buy us all a gastric band!

I take my dog running with me. He's a foxhound and needs loads of exercise. He loves it and it's helped with his training (he came from the Dogs Trust at Christmas - he was only 18 months and we were his 4th home). I get exercise, he gets exercise, he then sleeps for the next few hours - loads of birds killed with one stone :)

Now you're going to tell me your dog is old and can't go running . . . go get yourself a foxhound to keep the old dog company! No excuses!!

She is a miniature schnauzer crossed with a Jack Russell (don't worry Rod, not chatting promise) so is capable of the distance, but she is a nightmare, she just runs accross me and her lead trips me up, or she sees a squirrel and darts off, dislocating my arm in the process. It is really distracting so decided not to do it again. I am new to dog ownership and really paranoid about separation anxiety and leaving her alone..but no worries I promise as soon as OH is back I will already be in my PE kit and will go straight out the door.

You're misunderstanding me, though. I'm not disappointed in the loss at all. It's just the realisation that there's such a long long road ahead. There's ABSOLUTELY NO WAY I'm quitting, and I'm just going to channel my frustration into other stuff, but even if the loss stays the same (which it won't) then I've got another 20 weeks of this to go. Probably more like 25-30 weeks realistically.

That's a bloody long time to go without proper food. And there's nothing going to make me happy about losing weight, because I'm so angry at the weight being there in the first place.

Part of me thinks "Yeah, I could probably quit this and switch to a calorie counted diet" but then I occasionally still feel the same cravings for pizza and McDs that caused all the trouble. Food addiction, it's a nasty, nasty thing.

But the simple story is this. Once upon a time, I crammed all that food into my mouth. No-one has force fed me a morsel. And now it's payback time.

Everyone in this thread is a lovely person, and you've REALLY helped me in many ways, especially getting started on the exercise. That's where I need the support - the weight loss will be what it will be. Like I said, if you feed a fat bloke 570 calories a day, chances are he'll get thinner.

If there's one lesson to be learned from this thread, it's that if you have a diet plan, and you have an exercise plan, and you stick to them honestly, then you WILL end up with the body shape you want. And the only person between you and that goal is yourself. I've got that well and truly burned into my psyche, but for me that goal is an awfully long way away.

So I hope you'll forgive me if I don't do a cartwheel every week. It doesn't mean I'm down on myself, or that I'm giving up. I've got my goals mapped out down below, and I'll be happy when I hit number two next week, and number three in a few weeks time.

Blimey that was a cathartic old ramble. If this thread charged for psychotherapy it could afford to buy us all a gastric band!

It must feel like a massively long road. Are you really going to be off food for all of it though? Once you have lost say, six stone, would you think about changing over then? It might give you a boost at that point that you need to carry on (because you WILL get there - we wont let you do anything else!) rather than thinking 'I can't do the VLCD so I am not doing anything any more'?

Also, at some point you will have to start eating again 'in the real world' so need to re-educate yourself how to respect food again - which a club or whatever diet would do for you. But don't get me wrong, just my opinion and I really understand why you would want to stay on the VLCD for as long as poss to get the rapid reduction. There is no way you can achieve 1/2 stone a week at say, Slimming World, but if your lossed started dropping to 2lbs a week, I would be seriously inclined to switch to something more sustainable.

Sure you know what you are doing anyway, the results speak for themselves!

Smileyman, slowly, slowly catchee monkey.

All the experts tell us that if we take off the weight at a controlled rate, not too fast, then there's a better chance that it'll stay off.

I reckon that you'll notice the benefits more and more as you go along. The bigger percentage of you weight that you lose, the more you'll feel better. You'll be SO much more limber, you'll be walking further and faster, you'll really up your fat burning rate.
Perhaps it's too soon now, but aim for some fast, aerobic walking. I love Kathy Smith MP3 downloads. The music is awful (think lines like " wasn't looking for romance 'til I saw a dream in pants"......... but she's as mean as our Rod and gets you going. They're not very expensive - start with one like Walk easy. This is the one I started with.
Kathy Smith's Walking Easy MP3 Audio Workout

SmileyMan said:

I hear ya science boy I hear ya and I applaud your drive and commitment. 30 weeks to lose 10 stone is a tall order, by no means am I telling you you won't do it, if any of us can you can, your disciplined and willing to make changes. I just know from experience- I've had 6 stone to lose at one point I'm my life- that the leaner you
Get the slower it comes off, it gets harder and harder, you plateau and sometimes gain for a relatively minor slip, it's harsh but it's life, if your looking long term then you need to be realistic, research what has happened for other ppl on vlcd's and not just how long it took to get to target but have they managed to stay there if not why not, what your long term eating plan is? You can't do shakes forever its not healthy, what was the transition
Like for those doing vlcd's when they went back to eating more, did they initially gain. I'm sure these are things you've looked into but just throwing it out there in case. If your taking it chunk by chunk week by week and not really thinking long term then that's cool, plug away and change things when it comes to it. Planning will be your friend when it comes to
Long term success though. I get that your owning what you did to yourself and that your mad with yourself so won't be happy just yet but what is done is done, yes you ate too much you got fat and now your having to work your butt off and your mad as hell at yourself, but it would be worse if u sat feeling sorry for yoursf eating pie. You are helping yourself and that is admirable, if you keep punishing yourself by not accepting the changes your making are admirable how can you ever move forward into the role of this slimmer happier more confident you? I think your amazing and I bet your family are proud too.

Actually, it's more like I've already made all the changes in my head, and now I'm waiting for my body to get with the programme!

Here's my way of keeping chipper - it took me 20 years to get from 12 stone to 24, so if I can reverse that in 12 months that makes me 1900% better at dieting than being a fat pig, and let me tell you I was damn good at it.

SmileyMan said:
Actually, it's more like I've already made all the changes in my head, and now I'm waiting for my body to get with the programme!

Here's my way of keeping chipper - it took me 20 years to get from 12 stone to 24, so if I can reverse that in 12 months that makes me 1900% better at dieting than being a fat pig, and let me tell you I was damn good at it.

Haha can't argue with that!! Hey and for the record we was ALL good at it or we wouldn't be on here. I've known ppl lose over a stone a month right til they get to target and that was on Sw so there's no reason you can't do it. Good luck on the exercise front this week, don't over do it though remember your still carrying a lot of weight on your joints, walking is better than sitting ;) what's your exercise plan for the next 3 days.....so we can hold u accountable ;)

Good Luck Jezzi and pop in and see us when you feel like it - I'm sure we'll all still be around. You are totally right in that you need to get yourself sorted - sometimes things just have to give a little and you've made an informed choice to do just that. Take care and keep going onwards and downwards. :)

Smiley - don't know if you saw my suggestion about possibly getting a treadmill. Can't remember if it was in this thread or the lounge. Just thought it might help you in stretching some more time out of your busy day. Think you are doing brilliantly by the way. I could never stick to a VLCD so I really admire folk who can. :)

Back