TOUGH LOVE-APPLY WITHIN

Rod, try hitting the weights. If you did it when you were younger, and haven't in a while you might get the same feeling I did when I got back to pumping a few kilos - "WHY DID I STOP DOING THIS?"

Plus more muscle mass = higher BMR = faster fat loss.

Who was it last week who gained for no reason? I'll say the same as I said to them, re weigh in 3 days, drink plenty of water, if your struggling with the loo take extra fibre in, do more exercise and re assess if there's still a gain in 3 days. Chances are its temporary bloat or water.

That was me - week before last I had a 2lb gain (undeserved) and then STS last friday.

Yay! Woke up and weighed and I've lost 3.2lbs this week :D Making me 13st 0lbs exactly and having me hit my August target one week early! :D Hooray! So pleased!

Onwards and downwards to 12st 7lbs now. I was last in the 12s two years ago and only managed it for about a week. The last time before that I was 14! So this is all kind of unchartered territory! Giving myself until October 7th to shift it- that's a pound a week and a week off for my holiday in Japan. :)

Oooh that is a lovely big loss! Well done you. And nice to go into unchartered (well sort of) territory. Massive pat on the back.

Sparty well done!!!!!!! WOOO

Well I got through the 500 cal day yesterday, today I'm eating 'nornslly' then another 500cal day and a jog tomorrow. I feel like most of the bloat from the heavy wedding do has gone. I'm pondering with only weighing in once a fortnight as I need to not focus on the scales as much, but I'll see I'm not sure I could go 2 weeks lol. I know I've gained since Thursday again, but it's ok a d I knew I would as it was a food a d booze fest. That's it now until end of September. I want to shift these scales down im sick of hovering around 10.10-10.13.

Morning everyone. I was good this weekend - low calorie days on Saturday and yesterday and I did my exercise DVD and some walking yesterday.

I was hoping to be able to report a pound loss since friday but I can't.............

I can report a 3lb loss!!!!!

No idea how I managed that and i suspect a but of luck as well as careful eating but I'm not complaining. 3lb to go now to target and I'm gonna be bang on it this week so hopefully you will see a happy sparty on Friday. I'm still gonne steer clear of the lounge until I go on holiday - no distractions allowed!!

Finally!! Just like Sally said - week 1 - despair week 2 - elation! Well done, you kept the faith and it paid off. So pleased for you.

Thought you might like this quote Rod...............

“The trouble with not having a goal is that you can spend your life running up and down the field and never score.” – Bill Copeland

Who was it last week who gained for no reason? I'll say the same as I said to them, re weigh in 3 days, drink plenty of water, if your struggling with the loo take extra fibre in, do more exercise and re assess if there's still a gain in 3 days. Chances are its temporary bloat or water. It's sh1t but it happens to us all. Maybe limit your weigh ins to once a week? You e lost a tremendous amount very quickly, try not to focus on the scales too much, so long as you know your not cheating or doing anything you shouldn't you need to relax, plateaus, gains little losses happen to us all it's just life. You'll be fine and I bet by Friday it's gone.

yep, I am fed up being a hovercraft!! same as you

by friday I'll be gone too, two weeks in Greece beckons

I'm relatively happy with where I'm at, I targetted 15-7 for hols and I hit 15-10 last friday, currently at 15-11

I will be happy to clear that pound this week

Greece will be interesting, i do like grilled meat and salad and plenty of swimming with the kids should do me proud

I'm not planning on indulging beer at all, maybe one sundowner a day, but I like being almost teetotal and I'm a big enough boy not to get swayed into any "Brit" holiday crowds - I usually avoid these like the plague and go off the beaten track searching for a bit of history and local culture

the good thing is that although I am not "in shape" I am not chronically out of shape either and the past five months has taught me a lot - mostly about myself

I like being in my new 36 jeans (although they are a tiny bit too big!) I like seeing photos of the new me and feeling the still unfamiliar jolt of surprise - I look different!

I have 25lbs to go, I want to return from hols with still only 25lbs to go and face the autumnal Britain with the same determination

I am refusing to let a 1lb gain sway me or get me down. I can shave that off if I have to.

I am determined to look in the mirror on thurs morn and give myself a pat on the back - over 2/3 of my journey is complete and that is due to two things - my effort and the support from my online tribe. The support I receive from you guys is nothing short of olympic - I draw inspiration in a strange way, by dishing out common sense, but that works for me and I'm glad a few of you have been willing targets - I hope this has helped you too.

sometimes, intermittently, its good to reflect on whats been achieved.

A path partially navigated can tell you a lot about your journey, where you have come from, where you are now and your final destination

I shall give all of this some considerable thought as I watch my kids play on the beach, from the vantage of my sunbed....

Last edited:
Rod the Bass said:
yep, I am fed up being a hovercraft!! same as you

by friday I'll be gone too, two weeks in Greece beckons

I'm relatively happy with where I'm at, I targetted 15-7 for hols and I hit 15-10 last friday, currently at 15-11

I will be happy to clear that pound this week

Greece will be interesting, i do like grilled meat and salad and plenty of swimming with the kids should do me proud

I'm not planning on indulging beer at all, maybe one sundowner a day, but I like being almost teetotal and I'm a big enough boy not to get swayed into any "Brit" holiday crowds - I usually avoid these like the plague and go off the beaten track searching for a bit of history and local culture

the good thing is that although I am not "in shape" I am not chronically out of shape either and the past five months has taught me a lot - mostly about myself

I like being in my new 36 jeans (although they are a tiny bit too big!) I like seeing photos of the new me and feeling the still unfamiliar jolt of surprise - I look different!

I have 26lbs to go, I want to return from hols with still only 26lbs to go and face the autumnal Britain with the same determination

I think a holiday will do me good!
Ooh lovely family holiday!! I'm jealous!! We can't afford one til next year :(

You'll do it rod, your body doesn't know what day, week or month it is, it doesn't know what your target is and when you've set it for, and I doubt it very much cares lol. Setting goals on a time scale has always been my downfall, I never reach them I don't know why but it just doesn't happen. I do however HAVE to reach my
Big goal by December and need at least a stone off to get into that bridesmaid dress. Plateaus in the first 6 months are common, it's just your body adjusting. A pound a week is a good amount to lose as you get closer to goal.

I'm trying the alternate day fasting to jolt my metabolism into action, that horizon programme really inspired me. The health benefits it seems to pose are amazing. Perhaps it could be something you could try rod? Varying days, have more food one day and less the next? Worth a shot?

But whatever you decide to do you should enjoy your holiday, be sensible but don't be strict to the point of making yourself and those around you miserable ;) not drinking much alcohol is a good plan as we don't NEED drink and the way I e felt since Friday I'm seriously considering being tee total aswell. Watch for the oily salad dressings and swimming sounds like a good all rounder exercise. I wouldn't be surprised if you came back with a loss.

Aaargh! Had a bad night and just made a pig of myself. First time it's happened since I started excluding WI nights - am having to be firm with myself and say that this is NOT a sign of the beginning of the end etc etc which is how it would have gone in the past. Remembering that I have done great things in the past and will continue to do so but no road is imperfect and small blips are only human.

But it is fascinating what goes through your mind when you are losing control - I just scoffed a large slice of homemade coffee cake and a slice of toast, and a bowl of honey nut cornflakes. I justified the cake because I had done 8 miles yesterday and in the past have made the mistake of not eating enough. So I think to myself '1200 calories on a run day is just not enough, I had better eat the cake today. It is practlcally alternate day fasting!' then I think 'it might even give my metabolism a boost, I am still under 2000, which is the RDA for women of my height. So I will still loose, just not as much. Anyway, indulging will make me feel better and actually make my diet more successful in the long run - so bring on the toast. Now I have a sweet tooth on, I guess honey nut cornflakes are ok without the milk' AAAARGGGHHH!

It is just weakness, excacerpated by the fact that I am cold, it is raining and I am very tired at the moment. Shame it happened so fast I couldn't come on here for some rollicking before the damage got bad.

Grrr - am over it now, just needed to vent. Really wanted a 2lb loss this week as well :-(

Aaargh! Had a bad night and just made a pig of myself. First time it's happened since I started excluding WI nights - am having to be firm with myself and say that this is NOT a sign of the beginning of the end etc etc which is how it would have gone in the past. Remembering that I have done great things in the past and will continue to do so but no road is imperfect and small blips are only human.

But it is fascinating what goes through your mind when you are losing control - I just scoffed a large slice of homemade coffee cake and a slice of toast, and a bowl of honey nut cornflakes. I justified the cake because I had done 8 miles yesterday and in the past have made the mistake of not eating enough. So I think to myself '1200 calories on a run day is just not enough, I had better eat the cake today. It is practlcally alternate day fasting!' then I think 'it might even give my metabolism a boost, I am still under 2000, which is the RDA for women of my height. So I will still loose, just not as much. Anyway, indulging will make me feel better and actually make my diet more successful in the long run - so bring on the toast. Now I have a sweet tooth on, I guess honey nut cornflakes are ok without the milk' AAAARGGGHHH!

It is just weakness, excacerpated by the fact that I am cold, it is raining and I am very tired at the moment. Shame it happened so fast I couldn't come on here for some rollicking before the damage got bad.

Grrr - am over it now, just needed to vent. Really wanted a 2lb loss this week as well :-(

whoaaaa!!!

Bonnie the machine is human!

how strange

I am not sure that you really think it happened so fast you couldnt get on here.....

I think you just wanted it. the rest of your post is waffle, excuses, bullsh!t and flimflam

its fine to want it, but your hands did that and your mind let it

my head may be in Greece, but I am still here and I cannot think of a finer example to take some tough love on

Olympic let down I am gonna call this

I thought you were heading for a medal too sister.....

get back on or prepare to measure for those bigger jeans

you know, the sort with elasticated sides that the BIG girls wear

yeeeeeuwwwww

whoaaaa!!!

Bonnie the machine is human!

how strange

I am not sure that you really think it happened so fast you couldnt get on here.....

I think you just wanted it. the rest of your post is waffle, excuses, bullsh!t and flimflam

its fine to want it, but your hands did that and your mind let it

my head may be in Greece, but I am still here and I cannot think of a finer example to take some tough love on

Olympic let down I am gonna call this

I thought you were heading for a medal too sister.....

get back on or prepare to measure for those bigger jeans

you know, the sort with elasticated sides that the BIG girls wear

yeeeeeuwwwww

Yep, I know. And I feel all bloated and fuzzy headed and dry mouthed now as well. I did want it! And in that split second I wanted it more than I want to finally get to goal and not have the same festering weight issues that I have had for 15 years. Grrr. I promise the rest of this week to WI will be immaculate and the week thereafter. And thereafter that. And sorry Emma for being mean and tough and then going and doing what I told you off for (albeit only lasting one night, not a whole week).

BonnieBooBear said:
Yep, I know. And I feel all bloated and fuzzy headed and dry mouthed now as well. I did want it! And in that split second I wanted it more than I want to finally get to goal and not have the same festering weight issues that I have had for 15 years. Grrr. I promise the rest of this week to WI will be immaculate and the week thereafter. And thereafter that. And sorry Emma for being mean and tough and then going and doing what I told you off for (albeit only lasting one night, not a whole week).

This is why I've not really tough loved anyone lately. I was hardcore on it and I just lost steam a d motivation. One bad day turned into weeks, not binging just not really doing that great with portions and food choices. So I've switched plan again and if I lose steam with this ill switch again, I'll do every diet going to get to goal and I'll then have to do the hard task of staying there. I hope this alternate day fasting works as I feel I could do this to goal, one day not eating followed by a day of eating what you want basically is my kinda diet hahaha. Dont slide off track, if you are losing steam with it change something, do something else and get that passion back. Your an adult if you want a blow out then fine, but don't be crying when you hit them scales. You'll have to take it on the chin and crack on with
It.

conlou1 said:
This is why I've not really tough loved anyone lately. I was hardcore on it and I just lost steam a d motivation. One bad day turned into weeks, not binging just not really doing that great with portions and food choices. So I've switched plan again and if I lose steam with this ill switch again, I'll do every diet going to get to goal and I'll then have to do the hard task of staying there. I hope this alternate day fasting works as I feel I could do this to goal, one day not eating followed by a day of eating what you want basically is my kinda diet hahaha. Dont slide off track, if you are losing steam with it change something, do something else and get that passion back. Your an adult if you want a blow out then fine, but don't be crying when you hit them scales. You'll have to take it on the chin and crack on with
It.

Lol! This is me, u lose steam and look around for something else to try. I'm also doing adf in an attempt to lose a bit more and stay on track x

Hi everyone, just checking in as i didnt have time on sat. I am now under the 200lb mark for the first time since before i got pregnant nearly 3 years ago! :) annnnd iv lost a exactly a stone since i began reading the tough love gurus dish out the truth about 6 weeks ago! lol.
Thanks guys i know i dont post much but i read every day. Hope you're all keeping on track xx

Last edited:
Lizz1985 said:
Hi everyone, just checking in as i didnt have time on sat. I am now under the 200lb mark for the first time since before i got pregnant nearly 3 years ago! :) annnnd iv lost a exactly a stone since i began reading the tough love gurus dish out the truth about 6 weeks ago! lol.
Thanks guys i know i dont post much but i read every day. Hope you're all keeping on track xx

We'l done lizz - u must be staying on track if u haven't had to post and get a telling off! Keep it going girl :)

I do wonder how many lurkers we have? Its not like this is a secret society?

Well done for posting Liz, a couple of us need some inspiration at the moment

If anyone reads the thread and doesn't post - why not?

what you scared of...the nasty-wasty bassers???

its just the TRUTH

and if it hurts, ask yourself WHY!!

?????

Clanger72 said:
3lbs off for me this week and from now on my avatar will be a pic of my scales so there's no hiding from the results whether it be a loss, sts or a gain!

What a brill idea!! Well done!

Well done to lizz also

On my fast day today. Less than 500 cals. I'm starting to actually enjoy these days more. Yesterday I felt out of control and scared that I'd put weight on, today only having 500 cals I feel in control and motivated. Strange

Back