Trying a new tack. Will it work?

Hi all

I am struggling on a calorie counting diet, on 1200kcal a day plus exercise. After 3 or 4 days I tend to get so hungry I eat a lot and end up replacing all the calories I've lost over the 3/4 days.

This has been going on for about 2 years, so I need to change my method.

I wondered as I love to exercise, if I ate my normal daily calorie intake of 1650kcal and then just exercised off 500kcal a day would I still lose weight?

I think doing it this way could be so much easier.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

Well it seems to me that if you are hungry and by that I mention truly hungry and not for any emotional reason, then that is your body telling you it needs you to eat more. I'm not a calorie counter but I was absolutely never hungry during my entire weight loss journey. The number of calories your body needs to function properly will obvisouly depend on a number of factors. The NHS website says the average women requires 2000 calories and to lose weight they should cut back by 500 calories per day, so that's 1500.

At 122lbs and 5' 1", do you really need to lose weight?
The ideal weight for women your height would go from (small frame)106 to (large frame)140. Where do you fit in there.

I think the reason you get hungry is b/c you are trying to go below your ideal body weight.
Have you read the book "The Shangrla Diet"?
It talks a lot about what your ideal weight can be. You should take a look at it.

Personally I would kill to be 122 lbs. I would even kill to be 160 lbs. Good luck to you, hope you find what you are looking for.:p

Thanks, but I can promise you I am not trying to get below my correct weight for my height or frame. I am very comfortable at about 8 stone and look very well and healthy at that weight. When you are very small like me you just dont have to weigh very much.

I put on 10lb in weight because I was unable to move after a serious car accident but before that was never above 8 stone and was sometimes less. Its not unhealthy.
It is very frustrating when people say that to you. Especially when you come to one of these forums for support.

I want to be comfortable with my body again like I was and not have this wobbly rotund stomach. Just because I'm in the healthy weight range doesnt mean I cant afford to lose a couple of pounds. I mean if I do it now I only have to lose a few pounds if I ignore it and wait 5 or 10 years I may end up having try to lose 2 or 3 stone. Prevention in the early stages is better than leaving until its a big task.

My intention was not to offend but to show concern, I hope you will forgive me.:eek::wave_cry:

Have you thought of doing pilates? It is really great for your stomach, waist and sides. I am doing it and you can really feel it working.

If you have 2000 (sensible) calories a day and do a lot of exercise then you'll lose weight. Very slowly but it will work. One thing you could try is to look at what you eat. If you increase the protein and really bulky vegetables (preferably raw) you may find you feel fuller for the same calories.

How much exercise are you doing, and how often? Is it intensive, or sedate?

If you are taking 1,200 calories in per day, but spending 1,000 a day in exercise, that doesn't leave you very much to live on (you'd need another 1,000 or so just to breathe and sleep over 24 hours).

Try slowly upping your daily calorie intake until it's enough to stop the hunger. Nudge it to 1,300 for a week. If that doesn't do it, go to 1,400 for the following week. You should find a point at which you're no longer ravenous, but at which the weight does slowly start to come off.

Back