Trying to get fitter and lose the weight

I suffer from shin splints too...bah! They're a pain...but they have improved over time...do you have the correct trainers for your feet? Going to a proper running shop healped me a lot as I overpronate especially on one foot and the trainers I have correct this. It is the sudden change from not running at all to suddenly running that has made them happen...a change in speed as well as other things like climbing hills or going down hills can also exascerbate them...

Also ice or even the cold mentholated rubs you can get help...alternate the cold one with heatrub and even use some ibuprofen gel on there...stretching your calves really well (even if not exercising) also helps I find...

Cheers for the advice. Ive got some really nice running trainers so maybe i'm running to much on one side or something. Good news my team won yesterday wohoo.... and I had some nice hits. But today my back is killing me with all the over streching :p

Hey, congrats on the win, and on the hits!

Went for a one mile run yesterday and didnt stop .... wohoo. I didnt have a drink for the first time in 2 weeks either and I had healthly food which was nice.

Was meant to be going boxing training but from some reason the place I went to was closed for no reason so instead I went home and did some shadow boxing while watching rocky 3 lol. My arms hurt today but was well worth it.

Boxercise is the business! I did a bit today in a circuit based short workout. We did press ups then squats then boxing, each for a minute then worked through this three times. Ended with some planks and med ball sit ups. Boxing really works my shoulders...

My GF has offered me the use of her garage as a make shift gym. I have a 50KG 5 foot bag punching bag sat in my cuboard hasnt been used in years. I think its time to get this up and running again. At least that way when i stay over there Ill have somewhere to work out. I'm thinking of getting a chin bar punch bag backet and start with thatl

When I used to box I never put weight on and was 12 1/2 stone. So reading up on muscle having memory or something along those lines I think it might be a good way for me to loose the weight.

Do you all weight your self once a week or every day? As I started Monday I guess its best to keep the same day for weighting in?

Cheers
Dave

My GF has offered me the use of her garage as a make shift gym. I have a 50KG 5 foot bag punching bag sat in my cuboard hasnt been used in years. I think its time to get this up and running again. At least that way when i stay over there Ill have somewhere to work out. I'm thinking of getting a chin bar punch bag backet and start with thatl
Way cool!

When I used to box I never put weight on and was 12 1/2 stone. So reading up on muscle having memory or something along those lines I think it might be a good way for me to loose the weight.

Boxing gets the heart rate up (especially if you bounce between sets) so great because it is kind of resistance coupled with intense cardio. I love it!

Do you all weight your self once a week or every day? As I started Monday I guess its best to keep the same day for weighting in?

I don't really weigh myself now, just occasionally to check on glycogen levels (yeah sounds silly, but when I put on weight after carb ups it is mostly water and glycogen) and I now measure my body fat percentage more than my weight. (that is only done once per month if that) But if watching weight because you are trying to lose it - once a week, same day, same time, same clothing, etc...same scales...

How do you check those levels out of interest?

Well I just weigh in and check they aren't more than usual...my glycogen stores tend to be around 7lbs, so when I carb up anything over this amount of gain is certainly going to be fat...even then I also measure (ye olde tape measure) and if the measurements are up then uh oh!

Cool that your GF is letting you use her garage! I wish we had an extra room I could use, I have a nice incline weight bench, and a big treadmill, but nowhere to put them. I"m sure boxing will help you!

I weigh about once or twice each week. I'm no longer concerned with my weight in numbers, but I have several pairs of jeans I use as my benchmark. I will have to read up on glycogen, I wasn't aware that it can cause temporary increases in weight.

I will have to read up on glycogen, I wasn't aware that it can cause temporary increases in weight.

It only really happens if you low to medium carb during the week, then carb up for a week or so...or even the weekend...

so proud went to a local boxing gym near to me. Full on hour and half of boxing. Its so long since i've been and i lasted. I feel like a bus has hit me thou lol.

I know its bad but I had a mid week weight in 2 pounds down wohoo. But I think thats down to the boxing from last night. Odd thing is I feel fine but I guess it will catch up with me tomorrow :(

Good going! I personally don't like boxing, did it at the fitness retreat I went to in Nov, it was def not my favorite activity, but I've broken both wrists in the past so that may have something to do with it. But it can def give you a good workout!

Way to go on the hour of boxing and the loss! I love boxing, it really works the arms and shoulders...I am going to treat myself to a three piece boxing kit (as well as two other sporty items I have spied and do need now) at the end of the month if I reach my body fat target...

Go you! You might feel it, if you haven't done it in a while, but it won't last long and the pain is a sign of having worked hard! Whoo!

Boxing again tonight did an hour and half today. I can feel it and enjoy it so much so will keep going. I have to keep at just need to push myself more. Going again in two days and then will go again hopefully sunday morning and straight to baseball training after...... HOPEFULLY LOL.:eek:

Keep it up, the results are way worth it, those shoulder muscles will be striated and bulging in due time!

Seems like I already can see a little difference in the mirror, everything seems to be alittle tighter. Could just be my mind projecting what I meant to see but the only six pack ill be seeing in the mirror for a while is the 6 pack of beers I hold while looking :D.

But overall I feel good the exercise is a killer but just need to carry on and start increasing the amounts I go. Also I really need to kirb the diet soda drinking and cider at weekends. Good news is I didnt have a drink all week last week until friday then sort of went down hill :(. I'm finding it hard to sleep at night and if I'm honest this used to be the main reason I used to drink. Dont like not sleeping.:cry:

What about having a milky drink instead of alcohol? Just a thought...I use hot milk as post training protein and carb input...all good...even with a diet hot choc powder or ovaltine or the like...

What a crappy night last night ended up at the pub quiz and had 4 pints. DUMB DUMB DUMB i know. But ahh well back at boxing tonight even thou I hurt big time. Dont know whether I should leave it until my muscles repair themselfs or go for it tonight. I feel like going but not sure if it will make my self worse. I've not exercised for a full 24 hours, What do you think I should do leave it or go for it.

Back