Tuesday Weighers

3lb off this week absolutely thrilled with that , got my much sought after 6 stone award and its given me a major boost to try and get my next award for Christmas. Oh Orla i never noticed how close you were to target , i might even cry a little when you do , i love seeing people hit their targets . An older lady in my group got her target award on Tuesday and i was sitting there blubbering away , she has lost over 4 stone and overcome an awful lot .

Well done! Some fab losses and awards! :)

I gained 1lb this week. My first 'food related' gain, purely due to the amount of chocolate I've consumed over the last few days. It was definitely a much needed kick up the backside and I'm back on plan now and ready for a good loss next week :) xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I totally relate to what your saying Amanda, I'm the same thinking how far I have come to where I am now and I totally agree with you about Ian, especially as your a wee Irish lad (Amanda us Irish can adopt you as Irish too as the influence is big on this thread !!!)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind being "Irish adopted". I can already say slán go foill, dia duit, and (the most important one) póg mo hón. :D;)

You have the Irish vocalbury in one but I hope you know what the last one means, I will give you a clue :kissass:

I82much, that is fantastic, you are really flying it, do you ever stop and think OMG I have lost 6st, it can be overwhelming at times and the way your going, it wouldnt surprise me that you get another award before Christmas is here

maitaiblue, at class last Tuesday one of our very few guys said that often having a gain can be a good thing because it makes you determined to do a lot better the following week and also gives you an insight into what suits you and what doesnt, you know what it was and now I bet your determined to get that gain off and a bit more next week

Amanda, have to ask do you have any Irish connections because you even spelled that right, I'm totally impressed

Yeah I do know what póg mo hón means. My friend from Athlone had a t-shirt with it on. :D I believe that's where the band The Pogues got their name from.

I don't have any Irish connections (except my friend from Athlone who I haven't seen in over a decade) but I have a healthy interest in languages. Irish, well Scottish Gaelic too, has always outfoxed me though as without studying it properly you can't work out how to pronounce it from the way it's written, and as much as I love hearing it spoken I can't really pick any words out, it just sounds like mumbling. :rolleyes:

You have a friend from Athlone, that is where I'm from, gosh that is coincidence

I know what you see and what you hear are two different sounds and even though I'm Irish, I find it hard to understand what some people are saying (Ian I'm sure you can relate to this)

If you really wanted to hear Irish spoken very beautifully, I believe go to Galway city centre and you will see some of the older people ! speaking it, I would live near enough to Galway and would hear it regularly down there

I understand that back in the dark days of soviet Russia, Moscow university language school taught Irish (Gaelic) as a gateway language to the other European languages from the Cyrillic (sp?) languages of the USSR. They don't even use the same alphabet. As I recall Irish is very easy (ha!) to learn as it only has a few exceptions to the rules of the language, whereas English has lots and lots!

If Spike Milligan and the CIA agents involved in Iran-Contra had Irish passports I see no reason why Amanda can't join. If you can play football and have seen a pint of Guinness you can play for Ireland - as some work colleagues used to joke.

Met a young woman -language student- who was working in the Empire State Building a few years back. She learned Irish from Linguaphone Courses over a few weeks as something to do. People have different skills that I struggle to comprehend. I have attempted to learn the hello, goodbye holiday stuff for my trip to Budapest but it really is worse than double Dutch to me.:blahblah: But anyway...

I am really struggling with the diet today. Are baked beans free or super free? This chill weather has me feeling like I could inhale a full Christmas dinner and it would not even touch the sides!:eatdrink023:

Thanks for the kind word about my place in the thread Amanda and Orla. I have an ear (in English) for a turn of phrase that sounds good to me and seem to have a huge store of them that I plagiarise from at will... The "Showdown with the Scales" is spoken in *my* head like an American boxing announcer. Like "Rumble in the Jungle" which totally matches my weekly deathmatch with the results of my appetite.

I do like language and oddly find the English love of the pun to be highly amusing. (Don't shoot me - please.)
I trust that we all find the strength not to eat that which we know we should not eat.

Have a great time in Dublin Orla - I rather wish I were there to be tempted by E&C Buffalo Chicken Wings *NOM* *NOM* *NOM*

Kind regards,
Ian

You have a friend from Athlone, that is where I'm from, gosh that is coincidence

I know what you see and what you hear are two different sounds and even though I'm Irish, I find it hard to understand what some people are saying (Ian I'm sure you can relate to this)

If you really wanted to hear Irish spoken very beautifully, I believe go to Galway city centre and you will see some of the older people ! speaking it, I would live near enough to Galway and would hear it regularly down there

I tend to worry more about whether they understand me. There have been occasions where mockney Londoners have not understood me as a tactic in discussions about solutions. I struggle to retain a Christian attitude in the face of that but ... "Beidh cuma cad a bheidh a" - whatever will be will be.

The difference between the pronunciation of Gaelic in the different regions is staggering. My brother lives in Dingle and his wife and Children are native speakers; they laugh at my every attempt to say anything in Irish. I am guessing that it is like listening to Stephen Roach speak perfect French but with a flat Dublin accent.

For me the one region that sounds most poetic is Connemara or Donegal. For some reason the sounds feel more unaffected than Dublin, Kerry or any other variant of Irish I have heard.

Not being able to understand what is said though makes my opinion moot. I picture Jamie Curtis in A Fish Called Wanda talking about how hearing spoken Italian makes her feel sexy. "Fettuccine, Parmigiana, Chianti ... "

Slán agus beannacht,
Ian

maitaiblue, at class last Tuesday one of our very few guys said that often having a gain can be a good thing because it makes you determined to do a lot better the following week and also gives you an insight into what suits you and what doesnt, you know what it was and now I bet your determined to get that gain off and a bit more next week
I agree, it really has made me more determined this week. I really want 2.5lbs to get under 200lbs for the first time in a few years xx

I agree, it really has made me more determined this week. I really want 2.5lbs to get under 200lbs for the first time in a few years xx

Good luck, not long til weigh-in Day. I can't wait lol.

Comes round quick doesn't it. :eek:

How had everyone's week been?

I've been 100% on plan and went out for a 21-mile bike ride yesterday so I'm hoping to get that last 1.5lbs I need to get my 6st award. However I've learned to never count your chickens with SW - sometimes it doesn't matter how good you are, the scales just don't like you! :rolleyes:

Hi everyone, I got back from Dublin okay even though I had a bad hangover on black Friday and Dublin was packed at 10am Friday morning but I really had a good time.

I probably did more damage with drink than with food but then again, I did have a personal pizza Thursday night after downing a full bottle of red wine (Santa Rita 120 Merlot yum yum my favourite). I made my "healthy choices" as far as I could but I did go right over my syns as predicted and sorry but I really really enjoyed myself. The thing is I will get up on the scales tomorrow and face the music but to be totally honest, I dont feel I have gained any weight as I went right back on the speed soup and stuck religiously to my 1/3 super free (by the way Ian, beans are free and not super free but they are an SS food) so tomorrow will tell a tale but I wouldnt change it for the world, my friend is going through so much that I was glad to be there for her when she needed somebody and all we did was talk, it was lovely

I certainly did Amanda, will be 100% the following week but the week after I will be overindulging as I have my christmas party on the 12th but I plan to dance loads and then I have nothing on the week before Christmas so just have to be careful then and maybe if I lose big the week after (tomorrow week) I might actually have a chance of getting my 7st for christmas fingers crossed

Did sw in the summer and lost 1.5 then went on holiday and just never went back! Got my finger out on Tuesday to find out I'd put on more than my original start weight so hopefully this Tuesday will show a good loss! I've been so good all week so fingers crossed!

ehhheecaa, well done on rejoining, I can imagine how hard that is to do but well done and let us know how you get on tomorrow, is your class in the morning or the evening, mine is at 5.30pm

It feels like an eternity to wait most of the day, I couldnt do 7.30pm though, such a long wait

Mines.at 7:30pm aswell, the day.Really drags lol

Back