TUMMY TUCK ON THE NHS

Lisa Marie

Silver Member
Hi I went to my gp approx 4 weeks ago about my overhanging tummy. It is gross, it has gone down a little with my weight loss but it's still ther and I hate it with a vengence. Anyway doc took a look at it and said it was quite bad so she said she needs to apply for funding for the op. She wrote off to the PCT that day to ask for funding and we still haven't heard anything.

Can anyone tell me how long they had to wait to get a response from a request for funding. I know it's only been 4 weeks but how long does it take to say yes or no FFS. I just wish I knew one way or the other if I can have it or not, I hate this waiting lark.

Hey hun, i also got referred for a tummy tuck here in wales nhs dont do them its someone else, sorry can not remember who... anyway took about 4-6 weeks and they rung me up asking for details etc, then i got a decision, they said no because my bmi was still to high..

my doctor told me to try again when my bmi is 25 and under.. so thats what i am waiting for now..

good luck to you though.. hope you get it :)

I would imagine given the speed things like this move in the NHS it might take a while. Great that you have your GPs support & good luck getting the thumbs-up

There is a forum on here all about surgical weight loss which includes tummy tucks following weight loss. Hope this helps.
x

I think 'icemoose' had a tummy tuck on the NHS...not sure if any of you have seen it but there's a very interesting thread all about the op, here's the link:

http://www.minimins.com/cambridge-diet-forum/17935-what-happens-when-you-have-tummy-tuck.html

xxx

ah i was looking for that erlier couldnt find it... its very interesting, i read from beggining to end.. has sort of put me off, but i will make my decision when i am at goal, i may not need it done might just have to live with it, depends what my tummy will be like.. :eek:

I can't live with mine. It makes me feel sick when I look at it.

mine to at the mo.. BUT i stil got another 3 stone to go, well 2 stone but i think i may have to get to 10 stone instead of 11 for my body to look more in proportion, as i am losing it from top half r ather than bottom at the moment, hopefulyl fingers crossed onece the fat has left the building (belly) it may look better..

at the mo its hanging, looks like a bum (can exchange pics if you like?)cant see my knickers etc... fingers crossed eh?

:D

I only saw that post from icemoose cos its the 3rd most viewed thread on this forum....(after 'word association' and 'last person to post wins')!! but definitely gives you food for thought if you're thinking about having it done xxx

mine to at the mo.. BUT i stil got another 3 stone to go, well 2 stone but i think i may have to get to 10 stone instead of 11 for my body to look more in proportion, as i am losing it from top half r ather than bottom at the moment, hopefulyl fingers crossed onece the fat has left the building (belly) it may look better..

at the mo its hanging, looks like a bum (can exchange pics if you like?)cant see my knickers etc... fingers crossed eh?

:D

LOL

Mine looks like that too. Except you can see my nix, I wear big ones to cover it. I swear I'd fit nicely in a size 14 if I didn't have my apron.

I have read some of icemoose diary, but it doesn't say how long he had to wait to hear about the funding. also sounds like he had a pretty rough time doesn't it?

LOL

Mine looks like that too. Except you can see my nix, I wear big ones to cover it. I swear I'd fit nicely in a size 14 if I didn't have my apron.

yeah i know i be the same comfortably in a size 14 if it wernt for my tummy :(

Am sure you will hear from them soon hun, perhaps your doctor has? my doctor did before i did.. perhaps give them a call?

Rang the docs they said to wait another 2 weeks :eek: should hear something by then. So just gonna have to wait, suppose lived with it for years another couple of weeks shouldn't make much difference. I'm just so impatient.

awe hun, dont get your hopes up though, they have been known for being quite strict...

Yeah I'm expecting them to say NO doc said she would push it all she could but it's up to them at the end of the day. I just think it's unfair that a panel of people who've never met you can decide yes or no. Oh well what will be will be. I'll just have ot win the lotto and go private not gonna get 5k to pay for it any other way.

As far as i'm aware, the PCT panel meet up every 4-6 weeks (or something like that), to discuss cases such as yours. You probably just struck unlucky with your timing, so give it another couple of weeks.

I'm surprised that your GP didn't refer you to a surgeon first? My local PCT unfortunately turned me down for funding, despite me being recommended by my GP and surgeon, plus being at a healthy BMI and having maintained my loss for two years, at the time. :mad: It would seem that a lot of people do get funding though, so good luck!

Jo x

Ah Jo, that's shocking. It's so unfair some people get it and others don't. Could you appeal against their decision?

My gp said she needed to apply for funding before me seeing the surgeon, I'm not sure why, maybe not to waste the surgeons time if the pct said no. My gp didn't explain that the panel only meet up every so often, so thanks for letting me know at least now I know the reason for the delay.

Ah Jo, that's shocking. It's so unfair some people get it and others don't. Could you appeal against their decision?

My gp said she needed to apply for funding before me seeing the surgeon, I'm not sure why, maybe not to waste the surgeons time if the pct said no. My gp didn't explain that the panel only meet up every so often, so thanks for letting me know at least now I know the reason for the delay.

Yes, it is quite frustrating that it all depends on where you live! I did ask at my surgery whether or not I could appeal, but they've been quite useless - after seeing the surgeon, I had to keep requesting for them to send repeat letters to my GP surgery, as they kept insisting that they hadn't received them (this went on for around 4 months!). I then left it for a while, as the whole thing was stressing me out, then, when I made an appt to speak to the nurse (the doc's wife) a few months back, she said that they'd had the letter saying i'd been turned down for funding quite some time before, and the surgery should've sent me a copy (but clearly didn't). I asked about appealing, and she said that she'd contact the PCT to find out, and would phone me within the next couple of days - she never got back to me, so I kinda gave up and started looking into private surgery. The whole thing's been a bit of a nightmare, to be honest!

Anyhow, now you say it, I think i've heard before that some GPs apply for the funding before referring you to a surgeon - I guess the surgeon's consultation costs money, so it makes a certain amount of sense to wait and see whether the op will be funded first.

I hope you hear something soon. :)

Jo x

I think you have done marvellous to have lost all that weight and maintain for over 2 years. I know it was quite stressful for you but I would defiantely appeal against their decision, you have nothing to lose and if you are considering going private you could save yourself 5k.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I will let you know the outcome of mine but not holding out much hope.

Back