Under 200 or bust!

Neen

On a mission !
Wow , not sure how to start this one!
I'm Nina 42 (nearly 43 - yikes) I live in Dorset with my partner of 17 years and our two sons aged 10 & 11. Both our boys are autistic so life is rarely straightforward.
I did Atkins a few years ago near to my heaviest weight and lost about 5 stone with very little proper effort I'm ashamed to say.
I would follow the plan (not carb counting) all weekdays and then go nuts and force feed myself carbs and sugar on weekends...I think I thought I had to in order to stick to the diet in the week....what a doofus!
Anyway, I have always had very bad issues with food, emotional eating and compulsive eating and as you can imagine, with me foolishly reactivating my carb addiction on a weekly basis, the actual on plan days began to shrink from 5, to 3 ..to nothing!

Inevitably I put it all back on, stressed daily (especially before the kids were diagnosed) got to a top weight of just under 26 stone (I'm 5'2") had a breakdown, ended up taking the kids out of mainstream school and teaching them at home for a year and being a recluse too scared to answer the phone, let alone leave the house.

We moved into the country a couple years or so ago (2007), the kids got places in a really great special school and things started to improve but I could not get any further with my weight.

I had a private gastric band in July 2008 and mainly through dumb luck so far, I have got some weight off.

I spent most of the first year lost and wondering if I had had anything done as my restriction was very slow to kick in.
Ate all the wrong things and still have big periods of doing that!

I have been hovvering around the same weight for nearly a year and a half despite my restriction enabling me to eat what most people would consider normal portions...due to my compulsive eating , the band has been damage limitation , stopping me from massive bingeing and probably saved my life..but not really enough for me to make further progress. I still have had to calorie count etc.

I thought I would revisit Atkins because I am scared I will not shift the remaining 6 or 7 stones...no idea how much I can get rid of due to loose skin etc but I have to try!

Hopefully I can learn from my previous mistakes this time!

I am a moderator on the WLSurgery.com site and have to say, I have huge admiration for all of you that can do this under your own steam. I wish I had been able to make a dent in mine without surgery but at the time of my op I was desparate and unable to get moving.

There really are no shortcuts! Something I have learnt the hard way xxxxx

Last edited:
hiya, thaanks for sharing your story with us.....it's been quite a journey for you~!

welcome to the forum, hopefully we can help you stay on track and shift some more, you've done well so far really!

Thankyou Tazbabe for reading all that! xxx I'm here to learn! This is a brilliant resource, I hope folks won't mind me lurking and taking info on board !

Having 16stone of wobble to lose to get to my healthy goal weight seemed an impossible task and often still seems way beyond my capabilities! I had a huge regain at Christmas and it's taken all this year so far to get the majority of that off.
I'm determined to pay attention to the rules as much as I can and just keep plodding x

Hi Nina and welcome. Wow yu've come through an awful lot but look what you have achieved! You've already lost way over half the weight. Good luck and try and come here as often as possible, it really helps.

hey Nina nice to have you on here. Well done on your loss so far hon, and glad to see you getting your life on track.

Ref the weekend bingeing you did before ive been there done that. Have a read of the sticky about cheating on low carbs - that post by Jim is fantastic and makes you think twice xxxx

Lisa and Vicky, thankyou so much for wading through all that intro!! And mainly thankyou for such a warm welcome. I had been worried about joining in because of the route I have taken so far, so thanks so much for being open to me plonking butt here a bit.
I still have huge battles with eating too much and my dreaded sweet tooth..at the moment the Atkins choc bars and protein shakes are just about keeping me under control but I do realise they might be preventing me from getting the best out of the program!
The most important thing at the moment is for me to not go off and back on to carbs/sugar..at the moment I am coming up to 4 weeks on and no sugar and nonsense has got in!
I am scared as I am not losing as much as I thought either, but in fairness I have not exercised consistantly!
I'm loving the food though and I hope reading this forum like mad will help me keep going and see some good results xxx
Thanks again x

Its funny as my sweet tooth has pretty much gone with Atkins apart from PMT time. As for the atkins bars etc they can stall you so that maybe why you arent losing so quickly?

Yeah I think you're right! I will try and space them out a bit. I must say you can only have one at a time which helps!!
I do remember the first week I did Atkins years ago, I bought myself a huge bar of cadburys whole nut to reward myself on the weekend...(I know!! Hopeless or what)
I definately remember trying to eat it and not enjoying it at all as much as I expected to, so I know that I should make an effort to cut sweet stuff out a bit and allow my taste buds to change.
I am definately eating less on the whole because my cravings aren't getting sparked off too bad.
Perhaps sugar free jelly would be better?

Lol No problem xxxx

Hi Neen

Thank you so much for sharing your situation - and hun you will find that none of us is any different - varying home circumstances, of course, but we all have problems with food and the way we think about it.

I joined in August and lost 2 stone in about three months, despite some icky financial and home stuff, and this forum was my lifesaver. I was utterly convinced that for the first time in my life, I could see a point where I wouldn't have a huge stomach to rest things on :)

Also odd to think that I could bare all (so to speak) to strangers and yet some of these lovely folk have become dear friends.

Since Xmas, however, I've been off and on Atkins - lost my focus, lost the wagon and made plenty of excuses along the way. I have a full on job (like many here) and if I'm not uber organised with breakfasts and lunches, then I find it all too easy to stuff my gob with a croissant or bread from the local cafe - and the voice in my head that says "No carbs! No carbs!" suddenly goes quiet. We got together in Birmingham recently - everyone was good and had tandoori grills and the like...but me? Butter chicken, rice and gallons of alcohol. Ridiculous behaviour.

But I keep coming back to clean and green as Jim calls it - the food is healthy and I enjoy it, so it's my challenge to stick to it for longer than a week! :) And to fight my inner lazy sod and actually do some exercise!

Ask as many questions as you like, hun, as you have commented, this isn't going to be quick and we can help when it comes to fighting the frustration and that mad feeling of being limited, which happens on every eating plan.

Susie x

Thankyou Susie ! After your lovely comment on the carb blocker thread I wanted to be totally honest with you all about my weight escapades!!
I was getting to the point where I was in pain as soon as my feet hit the floor in the mornings and just utterly miserable so the drastic band was a mad last resort in many ways!

Oh I don't half wish it would work on autopilot!!! I love my food...I eat emotionally...I eat for any reason you can name. Totally out of control many a time...my god this Christmas I think I broke a personal record for bottles of Baileys consumed!!
I think sometimes I'm scared to feel hungry!!
Shame they didn't book me in for a lobotomy at the same time as the band that's for sure!

I also am a woman of feeble resolve ...and consistancy is so hard !
I'm all or nothing with food, exercise and pretty much everything really!

If there's anything I can do to help you I would be only too pleased..I'm at a point now where I can eat pretty generous portions most of the time and my band is pretty full...if I have any more in I could risk it eroding (into my stomach...niiiice) so I pretty much am facing the same old desires and temptations again now.

Where abouts are you in the grand scheme of things right now?
I am on my week four and I know too many shakes, cheesey times and bars have made it hard for me to really launch into it properly..

I tend to eat before I drink...probably if I swapped those two I would save some heartache!!!
I have resolved to brush my teeth and mouthwash after every meal...like immediately...got to kill the pudding monster in me!!! x

Hi Nina
Nice to meet you and welcome to our friendly board :)

I guess the main thing for us all is to keep going - 1 day at a time!

Thankyou Katie! I'm really enjoying it here and just reading as much as I can...loads of info and diaries to plough through!
I definately agree with the one day at a time philosophy too...get one good day done is much easier than get one week done...and that way , without piling on the pressure , I think the good days tend to outweigh the bad xxx
I appreciate you reading very much, thanks x

Hey Neen how goes things today?

Hiya Vicky! Well I have made some orange jelly for later...I used some diet orangina in it to replace 1/2 the water..it doesn't seem tooooo bad carb wise..
I decided instead of a protein shake for brekkie I would get on the wii fit first and then cook Dean and me an omlette..sort of "brunch"

I am trying to do more lean and green? If that's the right phrase. Cos of my raving sweety tooth, I think I have been overdoing the Atkins bars etc.. shame cos some are so nice!

I definately haven't had such dramatic weight loss as I did years ago...but trying to be logical about it, I guess nearly 10 years older and 9 stone lighter I am not going to see wowee results!

Yes lean and green is the way to go and hopefully without the bars you shouldnt crave as much. Yes being older sure does make things slower! And as will you losing so much already!

mmm orangina i love that stuff is it carby?

Only just stumbled across this diary. I swear I go around with my eyes closed half the time.
I've enjoyed reading it so far but, my goodness, you have gone through a lot.
It's great to have you with us. Keep going girl, we are all with you!

Back