Underactive thyroid...any advice?

shineyd

Just wondering does anyone else suffer with an underactive thyroid? How does it affect your weight loss?

My mother in -law started LT just after i told he i was doing it and she was hoping for a big loss the first week(like mine 11lbs) but she lost 3lbs the first week and 3lbs the second week(3rd WI today). She was kinda dissapointed i told her not to be it was still good loss over two weeks but fair play to her she has stuck it out. just would love to be able to tell her someone elses journey coz i dont know much about it myself.

NOt me, but there are definitely those here who will be able to share their experiences :)

and 6lb is great - imagine losing 3lb every week... you have to look at the big picture and not compare yourself to others.

Thanks Elle-emm. I agree with you totally as her and I discussed she prob wouldnt see that kinda loss with any other diet with her under active thyroid. I think it was just deflating coz she expected more when she knew how much i lost(thats what made her want to do the LT in the first place!).
I know she will stick to it i just would love to hear others experience so i could talk to her about it(she doesnt use a computer so she cant read this amazing forum:))

In saying that i'd say she has lost more inches than pounds coz i seen a difference in her physically and you usually wouldnt notice 3lbs off on a person.

Hi, I also have an underactive thyroid, and I lost 11,4,5,4 & 5lbs. I have tried many different diets, and none of them have gave me even half the weightloss of lipotrim. Maybe your mother-in-law could up her water intake? I don't really know what else to suggest,

Hi,
I suffer with an underactive thyroid too, well infact its not working at all at the mo and I'm on 250mg per day.
I have just started lt and had my 1st weigh in on tuesday just gone, I lost 11lbs.
I think as the pp said maybe your mil could up her water intake, is she drinking plenty?
Again she's done really well already and hopefully her losses will continue.
Best wishes,
Kerry

I too have a thyroid disorder. My thyroid packed up about 8 years ago. I recently changed my meds, I now have T3 and T4. I was on 250mcg thyroxine.

I lost 2 stone in a month on LT last year. Kept half of it off until recently, I let my steely resolve slip.
Like other underactive thyroid sufferers I don't have issues with food. It is impossible for anyone without a thyroid disorder to understand what it is like. I can gain weight very easily and it is virtually impossible to lose it again.
For instance , I might have 4 ryvitas with my salad instead of 2 , I might have a mini ice cream after dinner. I have suffered with a foot problem recently which has meant that I can't walk my dogs. That is another contributing factor to my weight gain. I don't gorge or get greedy. I can eat a biscuit without eating the whole packet. I only ever eat healthy food. My metabolism is controlled by medication, which I feel is not as effective as naturally occuring thyroid hormones.
Now that I have finished whinging, I'll be more positive.

I have lost 7lbs in 4 days on LT this time. Even though i only have a stone to lose. It is the only way to go . I drink loads and loads of water. I always have a drink with me. I stick rigidly to the programe and refuse to be tempted. I couldn't go to a slimming club as it is too much like hard work. You have to be thinking about food all the time ie what shall i have for lunch, dinner etc.

I find that I can still have good losses even though I don't exercise at the moment.

I am sure she will feel better knowing that she is not alone. Give her my best wishes and tell her we are all willing her to have good losses. I do think the water consumption is key.

Love linzx x x

Hi, I am currently taking thyroxine, which I don't feel it is working very well. In fact, my Doctor has questioned that I am even bothering to take it at all! I'm wondering what T3 & T4's are please?

Its a very complicated business, but basically thyroxine is T4, your body should then turn it into T3 which is the active form. This means that your cells deal with T3. I had some extensive blood tests done to check my pituitary gland. My endocrinologist suggested that my body doesn't effectively convert thyroxine (t4) into the active T3.

I now take 50mcg of thyroxine and 1 tablet of liothyronine (T3)every day.
I had all my tests done thorugh Bupa , so am not sure if they are available on NHS.
I was taking 250mcg of thyroxine , but felt terrible. It was as if my body wasn't utilising the thyroxine. Now i feel much better. I have been able to lose weight and mostly maintain the loss. I have more energy and don't get as much "brain fog". It's not a cure all. I would much rather not have the thyroid disorder in the first place.

I used to get quite miserable about it, when i survive on salad just to stay as I am and others gorge without gaining.
I then try to put it into perspective and think about the way some people suffer with cancer and other serious diseases.

let me know if i can help further

Linz x x

Hi Linz,

Thank you for explaining this to me. I often wish that I didn't have a thyroid disorder, but as you said, there are many worse things to suffer from.
Lipotrim has helped me so much, after constantly trying to lose weight, but never succeeding.
I really do hope that you continue to feel better, and wish you success!

Clair x

I'm in the same boat, can live on salads and healthy food, exercise and not lose any weight, but as soon as I have a biscuit or packet of crisps a lb goes on, but doesn't come off, my doctors are pretty rubbish and state that they cannot help me lose weight until I'm about another 2 stone heavier.

As I also suffer with a bad back, as soon as the weight goes on, my back pain is unbearable.... Before the thyroid problem I could eat anything and not worry about my weight at all :-(

I too have an underactive thyroid and my weight losses havent been massive, but I have been very happy with them, as I find it very difficult to shift weight normally.

I think 6lbs is good, but unfortunately, your mum is probably comparing herself to others.....needs to remember we are all different and individual and if she can get her head around that, she will be fine....I think just feeling down and negative may have an effect (not sure, but I always think you need to remain so positive on LT).

Tell her to hang in there,,,if she is losing 3lb on LT, just think what she will lose on other diets (if like me, not much)...it might help her.

Hi Shinyd

Hi all,
Yes I am also Underactive Thyroid Woman ( they should make this a superhero..... ha ha)...and have slowly got bigger and bigger over the past 9 years after I was diagnosed!
Just before I embarked on LT, I had to go to the doc's before my Pharmacy would allow me to start. My doc upped my dosage another 25mg as she said a lot of my not being able to lose weight ( ditto Linz67) could be because I was taking too low a dosage.
Anyway now 4 months later on LT I have lost over 3 stone and am positivly OVER the moon! I feel amazing, I have so much more energy ( could also be because I have not as much weight to lug about ), I sleep well and my mood is normal ( well almost ;) )
I know there are others that have lost almost twice as much as that in that amount of time...but I don't care...at LONG last I am losing weight...YAY!! :D

Thank you all so much for your replies, they really have helped and i will be able now to tell my mother in law about your experiences. We spoke on Friday and i asked is she definately drinking 4 ltrs of water a day and she assured me she was but she said she is not going to the loo as much as she should for the amount she is drinking so i told he to make an appointment with the doctor as her thyroid tablets may not be strong enough(she is on 100mg-not sure which tabs) or she may be suffering with water retention. The pharmacist even said she should have lost more than 3lbs on her first week.
I really appreciate your advice on this:) Thank you.

I've an underactive thyroid too and had tried EVERYTHING to lose weight to no avail. My signature details my weekly losses (and sometimes gains!) so yes- everyone will definately los differently on this- my pharmacist had NEVER seen anyone gain on LT except me...and made me feel like cr*p those weeks, but I guess I can't blame him? My levels are still all over the place, even though I've been on meds for nearly 2yrs now, so if your Mum hasn't had her bloods done in a while, get them re-checked. And tell her not to panic- get her to read some of our stories for reassurance.

Hi, Can you make sure that your mother-in-law sips her water every 15mins, and doesn't drink it quickly?. This helps with bowel movements, and will keep her regular, along with taking fibreclear.
Your mil cannot have a blood test to check her thyroid levels while she is doing this diet, as it will give a false reading.
Hope this helps

Your mil cannot have a blood test to check her thyroid levels while she is doing this diet, as it will give a false reading.
I had my bloods checked twice while on LT and my consultant was aware I was on the diet?! And LT told me that having an underactive thyroid wouldn't be a problem, and to HAVE regular checks just to keep an eye on my TSH levels?

Hi, It seems that we are both being told different information. I contacted Lipotrim prior to starting, and recieved an email stating that as long as I wasn't due for a blood test it was okay. Then, when I filled the medical form out at the Pharmacy, the pharmasist also said the same thing.....

They told me as long as I was being monitored I'd be fine! Ah well..typical LT info! LOL! Different stories from different 'experts'!

I too have the dreaded underactive thyroid. Pain in the arse. I tried every diet/plan going to no avail. Believe it or not I wasn't even a huge foody! So LT is perfect for me and I'm so glad I found it.

Your Mother-In-Law is maybe losing more inches than actual weight. You may have low numbers on the scales but huge inch losses. Get her to check her measurements every week. 3lbs a week is to me a good loss. You wouldn't lose that on any other diet. I'm glad she's sticking with it. Shows determination.

Back