up day down day diet?

clarecbear82

I didn't really know where to put this but was wondering if anyone has tried it and had good results?

It's the one where you eat 500cals (down day) then near maintainance the next. I started off my weightloss this way and was wondering if anyone had done it for long and if it keeps working over a long period of time?

Oh if it works, it works. Everyone is different but there are so many different plans finding one that works for you is so hit and miss! I never thought I'd be able to do it, helps that the food is lovely and the support on here is great :)

That's great what are you doing? I've been doing mfp for the last year and lost 70lb but I can't seem to lose anymore so think I need to try somethin different. All they keep telling me on there is to up my cals which seems to just result I'm me gaining weight.

Wow thats an amazing loss! I'm doing Slim and Save, hopefully this is the last leg of a weightloss that has taken me 10 years! I use foodfocus, similar tool, it recommends I have more cals than I know I have to have to lose. I lost 4st on Rosemary Conley in a year so I know 2000 cals a day won't help me lose! Hopefully the diet will help me get to a healthy weight then I plan to low-carb for life, it seems to really be agreeing with me!

You might also find doing. full VLCD easier than you think as your hunger is supressed once you're in ketosis (takes up to a week). Don't know anything about the up/down one!

I don't think I could stick to it to be honest I like my food to much and I don't want to be locked up for killing my family. I also know there is no way I could stick with it for life. I do the up day down day diet to kick start my loss then after a couple of weeks go back to 1200-1500 cals where I either lose or maintain for a bit

No-one does a VLCD for life! It's intended to lose weight quickly. Some of the plans allow you to have a protein meal every day including veg. Good luck on your journey whatever route you decide on!

Anyone who goes back to eating 'normally' after a diet will put it back on again afterwards. The only solution to not dieting for the rest of your life is to accept that you'll need to change your eating habits and activity levels. All diets have the same proportion of people who put their weight back on afterwards - irrespective of the type of diet it is. Infact ere's some medical studies that have shown that on a VLCD which contains enough protein (whihc the packs do) people are likely to end up with more muscle mass at the end than on a number of other diets - which means that your motabolism is higher and so you can eat more without putting weight back on. Lots of people do put the weight back on of course - because they go back to eating the type of food they had before and the portion sizes they had before and using food as an emotional crutch as they did before.

I was only asking as on mfp they are always telling you that if you eat under 1200cals your metabolism is ruined and your loss will slow and the moment you eat over that amount your body will store everything it gets. They call it starvation mode.

Although people thhink that your motabolism will be ruined that isn't what is found in studies. It will go down a little as you have a smaller body (as with any diet) but it doesn't go through the floor. There are some people who claim that their metabolism is ruined and their put their 10 stone back on in a year. However, they tend to be the ones who don't change their lifestyle, don't become more active and don't change the type or volume of food which they eat. It's not surprising that the weight piles back on!

Oh I didn't know that I've never dieted before I found mfp. I was kind of in denial about my weight till then. You even get a warning there if your net calories are under 1200.

So do you just clean eat and stick to 600 a day?

There are a number of VLCD plans (very low calorie diet). Doing a VLCD using normal food is actually quite dangerous as it's hard to get the protein and other nutrients that you need when eating so few calories. VLCD plans sell food packs which you eat instead of food. They contain the right amount of protein and other nutrients to ensure that you stay healthy through the diet. Different plans vary a bit in things around these packs but the packs are central to all of them.

Oh - and I should say that your body runs in a different mode when you are taking in 600 calories. In this mode you have higher fat burning and your appetite is supressed so you don't feel hungry. I often have to try to remember whether or not I ate at lunch time!

Oh I can't do those things one because I don't have the money to do that and two I don't think it sets a good example to my kids. Not sayin what you do is bad but I think its good for them to see their parents eat.

Definitely good for the kids to see their parents eating! I don't have kids so not a problem! Actually it depends on the plan. For example, Slim and Save is £120 for 4 weeks worth of food and they do meals, such as chilli and spaghetti bolognaise. On that plan you also have 200g of vegetables a day so you can still eat a meal. Actually quite easy to stick to!

Thanks for the advice I might look into that when money is a bit better. At the moment we have £70 to feed 5 of us but I'm sure it will get better soon. So for now I'm sticking to the juddd and see how it goes :)

Back