Utility Bills

Tinytootz

Mini crazy cat lady
Really quite off topic, but hey ho!

Time to be nosy - if you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay per month for gas and electric? I'm moving home this week to a 3 bed mid terrace, and the lady who lived here before said she pays £100 per month for gas and electric! This seems steep to me, as I currently live in a 2/3 bed mid terrace (quite a bit smaller) and paid £110 elec for 5 months, and £110 gas for 6 month. It's with Npower currently, my place currently is Npower and British Gas.

But I'm unsure how it all works. Is the £100 a month every month do you think, so in summer you would be in credit due to lack of heating being used, and then the excess is used in winter?

I already know the water bill is something stupid like £150 for 6 months, so may look into getting a meter.

Youll find the £100 a month balances out over the year, in the winter youll possibly use more but it balances out with the summer. I pay £60 a month - usually by the end of the winter my account is in debit but it catches up cos I use less in the summer but the £60 is all year :)

I currently pay £74 per month for both & like Starlight, I'm in the red at the end of Winter but it all evens out again before next Winter.

I'm with Utility Warehouse & have a 5-bed detached house (although rads in 4 beds are only on frost precaution setting).

I'm electric only and live in a 3 bed end terrace. Ours works out around £100 per month.

I live in a two bed flat and pay £45 for gas and electricity combined (ScottishPower for both). I pay £30 per month for water on a meter which I think is a bit steep tbh.

We live in a 2 bed end of terrace. We pay £40 pcm for gas and £39 pcm for electric. This balances out over the year. All those thinking their water prices are high should come to Devon. We're on a water meter and pay £40 pcm and sometimes go into debit and have to pay extra. Seems like South West Water are one of the highest priced water companies out there!

We pay £100 per month for gas and electric and this tends to even out over the year. We live in a 3 bed detatched.
Our water is £30 a month on a water meter for 3 of us. For those who thing this is steep, it is not. It would be far far more if we were not on a meter (I've researched this). Contrary to popular belief, water companies want people on meters as they need to encourage people to be wiser with water usage and not waste it. Anyway, going off topic with that one!

Gas and electric really has gone up a lot in price recently and I think it's a case of put extra jumpers on before turning the thermostat up in future!

We're in aone bed flat - I pay about £52 a month for gas an electric combined, but this is after I switched

Scottish Power WERE charging me £80 a month for electric and £25 a month for gas which was ridiculous as I was always in credit but the wouldnt lower the payments! :mad:

I am with Eon in a 3 bed detached property paying £100 a month for dual fuel - it evens itself out over the year!

Water is £490 a year - thats billed from Severn Trent, not metered and is 8 DD payments in the year!!

x

Really quite off topic, but hey ho!

Time to be nosy - if you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay per month for gas and electric? I'm moving home this week to a 3 bed mid terrace, and the lady who lived here before said she pays £100 per month for gas and electric! This seems steep to me, as I currently live in a 2/3 bed mid terrace (quite a bit smaller) and paid £110 elec for 5 months, and £110 gas for 6 month. It's with Npower currently, my place currently is Npower and British Gas.

But I'm unsure how it all works. Is the £100 a month every month do you think, so in summer you would be in credit due to lack of heating being used, and then the excess is used in winter?

I already know the water bill is something stupid like £150 for 6 months, so may look into getting a meter.

First thing I would advise you to do is to have both of your fuels with the same company on a monthly direct debit duel fuel deal. THis will save you over what you currently pay.

I am with EDF Energy and pay £25 electric and £41 gas and have done so for the last 4 years ( I always pay a little extra and every year after the annual review, I claim a couple of hundred credit as a refund). I have online saver v6 - again monthly direct debit, duel-fuel and an online tariff is the cheapest way to pay for your fuel (my staff discount helps a little;))

Cheapest available with EDF Energy currently is Online Saver v8.

I'm probably a little biased here, but for an unbiased opinion, I would recommend people use a coparison site to check if they can make any savings, such as Buy.Co.Uk - Credit Cards, Broadband, Insurance. A Great Deal, Faster! or Comparison sites for gas & electricity, car insurance & more | uSwitch.com switch with which, Compare The Market ™ | Car Insurance, Home & Bike Quotes etc.

They ask a couple of question, namely your area, how you want to pay, meter type, usage etc. - input all of this information and it will search all of the major players and find you the best prices.

Remember though, take your gas and elctricity together, opt for an online tariff (you DON'T have to have internet by the way in order to be fair to non-users) and always pay by monthly direct debit for maximum savings:D

Steve

we pay 43 a month gas and 40 a month electric....end up in credit through spring/summer but as others said this evens out through winter when use a lot more.
we are in a 2 bed end of terrace.

water is a touch under £40 a month for 10 months of the year.we are also in the south west!

I am in a 3 bed mid terrace and am paying 90 a month to npower. Breakdown is 43 electric and 47 gas. Starting to think mine is a bit steep :-(

Back