Variations of veg

lorraineA

Silver Member
I have tended to have lots of mushrooms and broccoli and cauliflower - all if which are great. However I am trying to have a bit more variety.

Just had lovely meal of cottage pie with swede chips and roasted courgettes with chilli and garlic. Got the idea for swede chips from other threads and loved them!

What do others have / do with their veg?

I have found swede chips and LOVE them. I was a bit of a veg-a-phobe but enjoy a stir fry of green pepper, broccoli, cabbage and bamboo shoots, usually with soy sauce and fish. I also turn spinach into soup. But usually stick with broccoli and leeks!

Swede chips sound surprisingly appealing! Do you just chop them, spray light them and bake them? How long for? As they sweet or savoury?

Thanks for the tip!

Swede chips sound surprisingly appealing! Do you just chop them, spray light them and bake them? How long for? As they sweet or savoury?

Thanks for the tip!

Indeed that is what you do, half an hour or so at 180 usually does it for me. They are kind of a sweet savoury, like roast parsnips.

Swede shopping for me tomorrow then. How exciting! And how terribly sad that this is exciting! X

I actually par-boiled them first as I thought you had to. Are they ok to simply bake with fry light?

Mashed swede is also delicious and great alternative to potatoes. Yum yum, with a bit of pepper. I boil my cabbage and broccoli together and they taste lush like that. X

I bought swede cubes from Asda and sprayed with frylight, (no par-boiling) and they have not come out well, too hard.. I think boiling first would be better..

I love mushrooms, might just have a plate of mushrooms tomorrow night!

Also going to have spinach raw and put my noodles and pack ontop of it.

Swede mash sounds nice though, could add a little of the milk allowance to make it a little nicer :D

I have swede mash couple times a week I it, have that with some greens and turkey steak or chicken, yum yum, I get excited over my dinner now..pretty sad but I really do!

I had swede mash with my cottage pie. Also had stir fry with cabbage, mushrooms, beansprouts, spices and chicken.
I have cooked up broccoli and cauliflower in fridge ready to chuck into mealpacks, had cauli in my macaroni cheese earlier.
I love adding the veg, just adds that extra depth.

i think its 200g of however you eat it.So if you eat it raw then measure it 200g,cooked like brocolli then measure the 200g AFTER you have cooked it :)

Ok thanks I wasn't sure what weight difference wld be. I need to broaden my horizons as for past 6 days I've only had iceberg lettuce & cucumber lol

I tend to shred the cabbage and fry it with shredded leeks, a pinch of veg bullion and a sprinkle of garlic pepper. A dash of water and pop the lid on and it steams too. Mashed swede with garlic pepper is delish too. I've not tried the swede chips but will try them tomorrow I think.
I also stick with mushrooms, cauli and brocolli and it does tend to get a little 'samey' :D

No they are different, I only no as there was a label for swede and a label for turnip the only visual difference is the size that I can see with turnip being smaller and also (from school) I remember swede being orange in colour when mash or maybe yellow but I'm prob completely wrong ha but a turnip is White inside! I bought one of each this week shopping as being the numpty I am up until them I couldn't understand why you'd by one just to eat the skin ewww! But turns out flesh is the inside wooops!

Okay, just had Swede chips and two 'fried' eggs....not going to lie, I wasn't mad about the swede but I could get used to them and man, do I feel like I've had a good meal! It felt kind of naughty, even though it absolutely wasn't. I WILL be having them again. Thanks so much for the heads up!

does anyone know, is butternut squash on the list?

Back