Green Day Vegetable Biryani

Discussion in 'Slimming World Recipes' started by HellieCopter, 8 February 2009 Social URL.

1. HellieCopter

HellieCopter Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st2.5lb
    Current Weight:
    10st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st10lb
    Lost(%):
    2st7.5lb(19.24%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    This low-syn recipe makes enough for 4 easily. It's very filling! You can bulk it out with more veg if you like, but I used veg I thought would work well. You can also make it non-veggie by using HE for chicken.

The syns depend on how much curry paste you use - I used 2 tbsp (8 syns for the whole recipe) so this is 2 syns per portion.

It's a great alternative to a weekend curry, and is as tasty as a takeaway too, honest! Mmm!

Ingredients

• 300g basmati rice
    • 1 large onion finely sliced
    • 3 cardamom pods
    • 1 small cinnamon stick
    • 1 bay leaf
    • 1 tsp turmeric
    • mushrooms
    • cauliflower
    • green beans
    • balti paste (4 syns per tbsp)
    • 850 ml vegetable stock (vecon)
    • frylight
    • Chopped fresh coriander
    • Optional - raisins (syn value depending on quanitity you like)
    • Optional - 1 HE-B of flaked almonds, toasted
    Method

• Soak the rice in warm water for around 5 mins, then rinse in cold water until the water runs clear.
    • Using Frylight, cook the onions and whole spices over a very low heat for about 8-10 minutes, til the onions are soft and it's nice and fragrant. Add a little water if the onions are sticking.
    • Add the turmeric, vegetables and balti paste (quantity depending on your taste and your syns allowance, but I used 2tbsp in my recipe) and cook through for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
    • Add the rice and the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to minimum. Cover with a tight-fitting lid.
    • Cook for 5 minutes then turn the heat off. Leave for 10-15 minutes. All the stock will be absorbed and the rice cooked.
    • Stir through most of the coriander.
    • Fluff up the rice and serve sprinkled with toasted almonds and the remainder of the coriander on top.
    Hope you enjoy!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. StaceyUK

StaceyUK Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st1.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Sounds lovely!

4. Liannioso

Liannioso Silver Member

Start Weight:
    11st4lb
    Current Weight:
    11st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st4lb(2.53%)
    Diet:
    calorie counting
    I'll try this out tomorrow thanks :)

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.