Green Day Vegetable Biryani

HellieCopter

Gold Member
This low-syn recipe makes enough for 4 easily. It's very filling! You can bulk it out with more veg if you like, but I used veg I thought would work well. You can also make it non-veggie by using HE for chicken.

The syns depend on how much curry paste you use - I used 2 tbsp (8 syns for the whole recipe) so this is 2 syns per portion.

It's a great alternative to a weekend curry, and is as tasty as a takeaway too, honest! Mmm!

Ingredients

• 300g basmati rice
  • 1 large onion finely sliced
  • 3 cardamom pods
  • 1 small cinnamon stick
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1 tsp turmeric
  • mushrooms
  • cauliflower
  • green beans
  • balti paste (4 syns per tbsp)
  • 850 ml vegetable stock (vecon)
  • frylight
  • Chopped fresh coriander
  • Optional - raisins (syn value depending on quanitity you like)
  • Optional - 1 HE-B of flaked almonds, toasted
Method

• Soak the rice in warm water for around 5 mins, then rinse in cold water until the water runs clear.
  • Using Frylight, cook the onions and whole spices over a very low heat for about 8-10 minutes, til the onions are soft and it's nice and fragrant. Add a little water if the onions are sticking.
  • Add the turmeric, vegetables and balti paste (quantity depending on your taste and your syns allowance, but I used 2tbsp in my recipe) and cook through for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
  • Add the rice and the stock. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to minimum. Cover with a tight-fitting lid.
  • Cook for 5 minutes then turn the heat off. Leave for 10-15 minutes. All the stock will be absorbed and the rice cooked.
  • Stir through most of the coriander.
  • Fluff up the rice and serve sprinkled with toasted almonds and the remainder of the coriander on top.
Hope you enjoy!

Back