Vegetarian and wanting to give Atkins a go!

BREN

destination .... SLIMSVILLE!
:rolleyes:

Hi all!

Going to give Atkins a go however, I am vegetarian and just wanting to know a sample menu of the induction Phase that I could use. I've been on the website and looked at the sample menus and I also eat dairy and tofu, oh and ocassional fish when required.

Do you find being a vege that it's harder to make up the 20gm of net carbs??

Thanks

Bren:D

I dont eat bread, rice or pasta so no worries there.

I eat fish( sometimes), cheese and tofu (high in Protein). I think that this might help. Also are you allowed the Atkins bars?? My knowledge is yes with most? Also is there a limit on your protein??

Thanks for helping me out.

Bren
X

I think you may find it hard Bren, but good luck to you if you want to give it a go.

THANKS

I AM DETERMINED! Going off now to try and write a sample menu for 1 day.

xx

Well it's just over about 22 carb count if I have done it correctly?

Breakfast 2 scrambled eggs with olives and cheese 0.7
Cucumber + celery – 1.5
Tuna and salad (lettuce, 1/3 of avocado, 1 cherry tom, mayo, onion, beetroot + mayo) – 8.5
Atkins bar + coffee - 2
Diet sprite (zero sugar) - 1
Tofu and vege (broccoli, capsicum, onion, mushroom, mayo, balsamic vinegar) 6.4
Cheese and capsicum – 2

Not sure if I can start tomorrow as I dont have all the food. Was a little difficult to work out but think I might easily get used to it. Fingers crossed XX

I'm surprised you have beetroot there, I always thought it was quite hight in carbs being a root veggie Bren.

Looks pretty good to me, it helps a lot if you can plan your next days eating.

Hi Bren - have you had a look at some of the low carb diet books and cookbooks aimed at vegetarians? Seems like you're not the first veggie to want a slice of the low carb action. Here's one which actually claims to be "an easy, meat-free answer to the Atkins diet" - there's also a recipe book by the same author.

The Vegetarian Low-carb Diet: The Fast, No-hunger Weightloss Diet for Vegetarians: Rose Elliot: Amazon.co.uk: Books

Your first day menu looks fine to me, but if you were looking for other ideas there are other books out there that aren't so meat-focussed as Atkins'. I am massively carniverous though so possibly not the best person to ask!

THANKS EVERYONE!

I could easily cut out the beetroot Jim, good point. Going to start tomorrow as no right foods at home.... oops.

And tonight I will post another couple of days worth. So many suggestions people keep them coming. Going book shopping after work me thinks!!!

Bren
X

I am massively carniverous though so possibly not the best person to ask!

LOL, that describes me to a T

Do i count my protein nett carbs?? The tofu and cheese? I know it's 4 ounces of cheese a day do I count this?

So I count everything I eat, protein, cheese, tofu, 3 cups of vege only one of non salad vege per day allowed, sauces yeah??

Thinking about;
b - scrammbled eggs + olives + avo
s - celery
l - tuna and alfa, lettuce, avo, cue
s - coffee
s - atkins bar
d - tofu + 1 cup other veg + soy sauce (is this allowed?)

Bren

Yes Bren you count all your carbs less the fibre if it's not already deducted. I've been trying to find out what alfa is, I believe it's a grain?

Sprouts

What does my plan above look like Jim??

Just about to prepare it all. Nervous and hoping it will work.

ALFA SPROUTS : Since the quantity consumed is usually small, alfa sprouts provide only small amounts of most nutrients. Their dietry fibre contains substances called saponins which can remove cholestrerol from the blood.

looks good to me Bren!

Alfa is Sprouts.

Just about to start chopping up, what does my plan above look like??

We posted at the same time Bren.

It looks strange to me without the meat and fats, but legal enough.

yeah thought something weird happened then!

Well just prepared lunch, snacks and bar. Breakie means I will have to get up earlier..... Dinner will mean I must keep my snack for after work but before dinner so I am not tempted to binge!

Do you have cream in your coffee?? This concept sounds odd.

Also I think the carb content will be under 20 so this means that I need to add something will cheese with my morning eggs be okay?

Sorry for all the queries....

Bren
X

I drink black decaf Bren but cream would be good,

Cheese may be a problem, whilst it's perfectly legal, it stalls some people on induction, it did me. You'll have to try it and see love.

I drink black decaf Bren but cream would be good,

Cheese may be a problem, whilst it's perfectly legal, it stalls some people on induction, it did me. You'll have to try it and see love.

Back