Visiting Mom = update

Well, there is a God - and he lives in Iceland. And thanks to them, I am afforded more time with mom. We were due to fly home tomorrow, but alas, a big beautiful black cloud is preventing us from leaving.

I have been dreading leaving moms side, more than words can say - so a small reprieve by the look of it. Not knowing if last night was my last night or not - I cried shed loads of tears abuit leaving...and now, we have been spared. Only a short reprieve but still, its more time withmom.

I am saying this, with all fingers and toes and everything else crossed - but the last two days mom seems to have turned a corner and was better the last two days. She has known who I was for a start - which made for a beautiful little window of opportunity to say things.

It is still early days, but to see her improve even a wee bit has been good for the soul. I hope it continues. Just seeing her not writhing in pain, and talking to "ghosts" was such a relief. If even for a day. So fingers crossed that she is on a better road now than she had been on.

Thanks again for all your support and comments - it means a lot. I can't tell you.

(On an aside - anyone know about UK employment law - can a person be sacked if they cant get back to work because of "acts of god", etc??)

Thanks again. Time to climb back on the rollar coaster now. More when I can.

xxx

Hi there
I'm glad things are looking up for your mum.
will keep fingers crossed you can't get home for a while! - even when the flights are back on it could take you a while to get a seat i'm guessing...

i have no idea about employment law sorry - will try and ask about for you tho

daisy x

Hi hun,
So relieved to hear that your Mom is getting at least a little respite from her pain and that you are having the opportunity to talk to her. What a roller coaster of emotion for you. You must feel physically, mentally and emotionally drained.
I don't know any thing legal about employment law in this volcano situation.
It seems to be such a rare occurrence - this volcano last errupted about 150years ago - long before aviation ruled our world.
This an unprecedented situation which is now having knock-on effects world wide on commerece, freight, post,employment,availability of goods and fresh foods,transportation of aniimals, race horses, grand prix cars as well as people. The ramifications are as yet unknown and no sign of the volcanic dust dispersing yet.
It just shows how fragile our world-wide man invented systems are.
I have feeling that employers are not going to be able to sack everyone who can't get back. It would make things even worse.
No-one seems to have insurance which covers this unforseen event. I think you'll just have to cross that bridge when you get back.
One of my students is stuck in Tenerife, should be back at college tomorrow. I bet he's heart-broken.
Your and your Mom must have some great power to be able to make a volcano errupt so you can stay longer !!!!
Still praying and wishing for you both hun. Thanks for keeping in touch.
Love from M, Val and the group xxxx

Well every cloud has a silver lining. Or a rather murky one looking at the haze on the horizon this morning.

So pleased you have a reprieve with your Mum. Just shows you have to take every moment offered.

I talked with OH about the work thing and we think that even though you have extended once (assumed with employers approval) there's not a lot they can do. It's circumstances out of their control. You will probably be on leave with no pay though but it's not as though you are out shopping every day is it!! We are not legal people by the way, just employers. Sometimes you just have to roll with it.

Go and love your Mum some more and we'll try and hang on to the dust a bit longer!!

XX

BL, i am so glad to hear that your mum is improving,even if slightly. and who would have ever thought that a volcano could be such a good thing !!

BL So happy to hear your Mom is doing a little better, you have not been far from my thoughts. What a blessing this has turned out to be for you (the volcano that is) From what I know about the employment law situation, the most that they can do is make you take it as unpaid leave or as actual leave that is paid -depending on their leniency. If you need to however do have a look on the CABS website or contact ACAS. They will be in a much better position to advise.

Sending you love and blessings from me Em, Chai and Lily.

J
xx

how's it going BL?
hope your mum is still improving.

what's the situation with flying back - have you managed to get a flight sorted out. hope you can make the volcano chaos work in your favour

thinking of you and your mum

daisy x

Glad your mum's appeared to have turned a corner BL - hope that improvement continues.

Re the work thing - there's no actual legislation for act of god, as it's not possible to insure or legislate against. If a company chose to sack someone who could prove they were stuck overseas, and had been booked to return on a flight that was subsequently grounded, I think they would be asking for an unfair dismissal tribunal - and I think they'd lose :)

The airspace was closed by the government. So it is not officially an act of god. There is no legislation surrounding this, but have been told your company would have to be really mean to sack you. You should be able to take it as holiday, or the very least unpaid leave. You may even be able to take it as dependancy leave as your mother us extremely elderly and in hospital. This is also unpaid, but a legal entitlement.

Hope your mum is on the mend xxx

Not sure she'd get dependency Mel as they live in separate countries so she can't be a dependant. She could try compassionate though.

I hope all is OK, she's been very quiet. Probably busy getting in every minute she can.

Still sending hopeful vibes BL!!!!

hi-thank you everyone. mom has had another bad turn and now things are looking a bit grim. She has not eaten since March 31 - been on IV drip only. It is not enough, and not permanent solution so today she is having a permamnent tube placed into her stomach through her groin and this is likely how she will be fed the rest of her life. :( :( :( She will NOT come home from the hospital, and likely never now. She is going to require 24 hour nursing..

I feel I have been here a lifetime. I am exhausted and anxious at the same time.

I never knew, only imagined, but never knew and now I do - just how horrible it is to see someone you love suffer. I feel helpless and at times hopeless.

I just love her so much, I can hardly bare this. It is so unfair.

Well, better go - off to the hospital.

Thanks for keeping me in your thoughts everyone.

It feels I have been here a lifetime.

x

(((((((((((((((((hugs)))))))))))))))))
daisy x

Oh hun, no words only prayers for you all,
much love
D & M xxxx

Hugs BL. xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Just wanted to add my thoughts and prayers for you and your family, stay as strong as you can, close your eyes and remember your mum at her happiest and brightest and guessing it was the times you were by her side. Love and Hugs xxxx

Back