Vitamins

maddie_tc

As far as I have understood it's important to take supplements while on Atkins are any of them ok (as long as u stay away from iron)? Any specific that u guys would recommend?

xx

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I take Tesco General Wellbeing Multivitamins. There's no added iron, they're relatively cheap and they're not huge like some of the others I've tried, so they're easier to swallow.

I take multivitamins, no particular brand. I also take calcium/magnesium, vitamin D and coenzymeQ10 extra. The Vitamin D and Q10 not specifically related to this diet - i have very low vit D levels so it's a medical thing, and the Q10 is an anti-oxidant which some say can provide protection against bad cholesterol and high blood pressure. Calcium i consider an important extra supplement for my Atkins above the normal multivitamins because a high protein diet can cause calcium to leech out of your bones leading to bone problems when you are older, it was one of the very few substantiated negative side effects i could find of this diet actually (and easily fixed with vitamins!) - i think it's only a concern if you plan to stay on the diet a very long time, which i do.

Calcium i consider an important extra supplement for my Atkins above the normal multivitamins because a high protein diet can cause calcium to leech out of your bones leading to bone problems when you are older, it was one of the very few substantiated negative side effects i could find of this diet actually

I'm not so sure that's true, you know. This certainly was an argument I heard from vegetarians when I gave up meat all those years ago. Since then more research has been done which suggests it isn't the case.
This article here is quite useful: Protein and calcium: antagonists or synergists?
Quote from it: "Those with the highest protein intakes gained bone, whereas those with the lowest intakes actually lost bone. Clearly, calcium was not enough to protect the skeleton when protein intakes were low. Equally clearly, high protein intakes did not adversely affect bone status."

Dr Eades quotes this study: A diet high in meat protein and potential renal acid ... [J Nutr. 2011] - PubMed - NCBI (just the abstract) which says their research indicates "a high-protein diet has no adverse effects on bone health."

And just one more while I'm at it, this one says that low protein and phosphorus is more of a risk factor for poor bone health than high protein: Do Protein and Phosphorus Cause Calcium Loss? "Because long-term controlled human studies do notsupport the view that increased dietary protein and a high phosphorus intake cause calcium loss, these nutrients should not be considered as risk factors for calcium loss and osteoporosis."

I take a multi vitamin tablet, I also have combined calcium & vitamin D tablets prescribed by my doctor because I have had a broken wrist & cracked ribs since age 50.

Thinking about it, the Atkins diet is more low carb & high fat, than high protein.

maddie_tc said:
As far as I have understood it's important to take supplements while on Atkins are any of them ok (as long as u stay away from iron)? Any specific that u guys would recommend?

xx

Sorry why do you have to stay away from iron? Just because you would be eating more meat than normal?

skinnybride2013 said:
Sorry why do you have to stay away from iron? Just because you would be eating more meat than normal?

Im quiet sure it said so in the Atkins book- no idea why as I have an iron deficiency :S

I have in the back of my mind a memory that nobody should supplement with iron if they're not deficient in it, whatever kind of diet they eat. A quick Google brings up several reputable looking sites that say this.

Too much iron can damage the liver and heart, and I think you're right skinnybride, a diet high in meat and green leafy veg is likely to be high in iron already. Iron supplements can cause quite severe constipation too!

Back