VLCD menu based diet

Not a VLCD, but in this weeks Womens Own (I saw it in a shop, but didn't buy, honest!;):D), they have a diet in there which is just over 800cals per day, all food based, but with only 50g of carbs a day.

I didn't get it as I'm doing 810/1000 on CD atm and am only ½ a stone from goal, but it might be worth a look for you!

Hi Dino,
Do you happen to remember if it is the "Summer Special" issue that seems to be on sale now?

Cheers

Hiya Mikey,

You might also like to google Dr Bernstein, he is a doctor who's into lo carb (and a Type 1 diabetic)! He is considered pretty radical and controversial, but has reversed his own health prob's and lived for years longer than he was expected to.

Also at www. diabetes.co uk there are loads of low carb threads, and lively debate going on in several of the sub forums, with quite knowledgeable people, lots of links etc. I gather you are not diabetic, (nor am I) but it is very interesting anyway. They have me convinced - low carb is the way to go!!
SM

Thanks very much for the info SM. My father was a type1 diabetic from the age of 7 so diabetes is something I have known about all my life and I was always very aware of his need to balance carbohydrate intake with the insulin he had to inject before every meal. I had not thought of looking at the diabetes uk websiet for ideas though - so thanks for that.

Low carb and vlcd'd do seem to have a very positive effect not only for type2 diabetics, but also for other conditions such as arthritis and IBS too.

Basically,

It works on the basis that you have foodpacks that are nutritionally complete (they contain the vitamins and minerals that your body needs to survive healthily) What they do not contain is anywhere enough energy for you. Your body therefore has to burn its stored fat as a fuel to provide the energy your body needs. The difference with a standard low calorie diet (a calorie or kcal is a measure of the energy in any foodstuff) is that the calorie intake is so low that your bod goes into a state called ketosis where the act of burning fat as an energy source actually removes hunger. This is the clincher, not only are you burning a lot of fat (much more than on a standard low calorie diet) you do not have the hunger that you can get on a low calorie diet.

Before anybody comes and starts explaining scientifically that what I have said is not the whole story, please note that I have simplified things to explain the general principles.

Hope this helps!

Hi Dino,
Do you happen to remember if it is the "Summer Special" issue that seems to be on sale now?

Cheers

Nope, it wasn't the summer special, but last weeks one. In fact I went into town on Saturday to pick up a copy, but they'd changed to the next weeks:rolleyes:. I'm just having a look online to see if I can get a link somewhere, and I'll let you know if I find one:)

Thanks - I was at WH smithsand I could only see the summer special. I did find their website but that was showing the summer special too!

Hi all

I am a bit late to the party, and have little to no scientific information to offer!!

I just thought I would throw out a name here and see if anyone on this side of the pond has heard of it?

Dr. Barry Sears - and his nutrition plan is called "The Zone".

It is gaining in popularity in the states, and my brother follows it and swears by it. What he has told me about it sounds like a sound plan for a lifestyle - not diet. But there might be some good info about how to cope with the types of things Mikey is worried about.....and may be of interest to others. I believe its a low GI or GL plan? Sorry - I don't retain these things very well But I think thats it.

I think what Mikey is doing seems quite natural. Whether or not he needs to implement this type of "recovery plan" will remain to be seen. But I am still in abstinanace, and I often lay down some potentila plans, and "what ifs" for the future. Again, whether I would even use them at the time remains to be seen - I do believe the CBT will be effective enough to get through times without needing a plan to fall back on - but thats me. And we all need to devise a plan that works.

As long as it is safe, and the information put up here (at least fairly) accurate, so as not to mislead anyone (and of course if anyone has health issues they should always check with their docs ;)) then I think its good he is looking ahead. I don't see it as a sign his CBT has not worked. I just think he is being very aware, as we all are at this stage, that the frightening real possibility of re-gaining weight is out there.

Once back in to the new world of normal healthy eating, it may all turn out to be moot. BUt if it helps him now, then hurrah.

I think both sides of this argument have brought forth EXCELLANT views. I found this very interesting, and acquired a few good links for future references!

My goal is to just eat as healthy and as responsibly as I can, most of the time, allowing for a few (planned) wobbles - such as meals out, or hols - but those occassions are in no way meant to be free-for-alls! I will exercise restraint and good judgment best I can. If those times send my up the scale a pound or two - then agreed, simply cutting back - upping te exercise - whatever, to get those pounds off.

As I intend to weigh regularly, I would hope I would catch any kind of gain be it small or a few pounds right at the onset and could nip them in the bud.

THis thread really was an excellant read. THanks everyone for your insite, experiences, and links to references. :)

And Mikey - I know you well enough to know you are not panicking. If this helps you, keep at it. :)

I

Hope i am talking about the right thing im trying to do something like the atkins only need to loose a stone but instead of pinning after carbs at dinner time(mash potatoe) i have mashed carrots with my meat and its delicious. Does this sound something similar to what you are doing? I was going to try sw but cant get my head round it this seems easier . :wave_cry:

Mikey, have you read the montignac method? It didn't work for me as I wasn't in the right frame of mind, its quite (I think wrongly) critical of low calorie diets and if you're looking for one, that can be a great excuse to overeat. But in terms of glycemia its got a lot of science and glycemic index and stuff is explained very clearly, so I'm tempted to think that carbs are explained very scientifically too (though I can't remember).

Anyway I thought I'd contribute a couple of balanced recipes in case they'd help.
The first I adapted from an observer food monthly recipe. I substituted the Lamb for a small grilled chicken breast, and used just a tblsp of oil which seemed to be fine. Obviously its the seeds and bulghar make it so great, but the sauce is just AMAZING. Gorgeous!

Supper for 2
1 lamb chump, just under half a kilo
a few stray fresh chillies, if you have them around, for grilling
3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
50g bulgar
2 carrots, peeled, grated on the big holes
a couple of big handfuls of flat leaf parsley, mint or coriander in any combination, roughly chopped
small handful of pumpkin seeds, toasted
small handful of flaked almonds, toasted
small handful of sultanas, plumped in a little boiling water
juice of an orange
salt and pepper
For the sauce:
1 tbs harissa
juice of ½ lemon
1/2 clove of garlic, finely mashed
1 tsp honey
salt and pepper
Heat your griddle to get properly hot. Meanwhile, in a pan, gently heat half the olive oil, then stir in the bulgar and roll and coat. Pour on 100ml or so of hot water, season, cover and simmer for five minutes with a lid, then turn the heat off and leave to sit for 10 minutes for the grain to absorb all the liquid.
Meanwhile, season the lamb well, then lay fat-side down on the heat. Ideally you'll have a metal bowl or failing that some foil to closely cover it with. After five minutes turn it over onto a new side, and keep turning it every five minutes so that all sides get a good grilling for about 20-25 minutes in total. If you have any spare chillies then chuck a couple of these on to grill, too, for any fire-eaters that happen to be passing.
In a bowl mix together the carrot, herbs, seeds, nuts, sultanas and bulgar. Douse with orange juice and a splash of olive oil, then add some salt and stir well.
Leave the salad to sit for a minute, and as the lamb finishes cooking/resting (it'll need a good few minutes once it's had its time) knock up the kicker sauce to finish it off. Just whisk all the ingredients in that section together lightly with the last of the olive oil.
There's enough meat there for two, backed up by a salad that's very easy munching and finished off with a good bit of Berber fire.

Chickpea curry is also an old favourite and gives good protein for veggies. Lots of peppers (green and red give lots of colour) and some onions fried in spray (though I often add a spoon of oil if I've had no fat the rest of the day), tinned tomatoes, chickpeas, ground cumin coriander chilli powder and turmeric, bubble away cook out the spices warm through the chickpeas. Fresh coriander through at the end is nice too. Because of the chickpeas I can eat it with no rice, steaming hot in a bowl, but with a bit of brown rice thats not much worse.

Good luck! I really hope its works out, the proof is in the pudding but I think it's good that you're putting efforts to making plans just in case you make mistakes in the future and I think its great that you're looking at making those plans healthy and balanced.

Thanks RubyS, I do in fact have the book laready - bought it a couple of years back and it is in a similar vein to the other low carb diets.

That recipe sounds good!

Cheers
Mike

Wow, you guys seem like the real PROs to know so much information! Have VLCD worked for anybody in the long run?
I`ve been struggling to keep the lost weight off, when on VLCD... If anyone has had long term success, please share ;)

I believe the body gets used to the daily calorie intake, no matter home many calories a day it is. I used to get as low as 600-700 per day, and after a few weeks I started to get my weight back! :cry:I used to follow this for such a long time, but it did not work for me :sigh:

I lost my pounds only when I improved metabolism, so I believe it is all you need in order to lose weight.... And I have spent thousands before I realised that!! :(

There are quite a few people on here that have maintained for years after they finished a VCLD, check out the threads and you will see the results.

Hi all,
You van easily maintain weight after LL.

I have found recently that if I put on a few pounds by over-indulging for a few days (like on Bank Holiday weekends or trips away) I can simply drop back to eating a couple of small low carb snacks if I am hungry in the day plus a spicy chicken breats salad, or prawn salad, or something similar. The weight comes off very quickly. I also have a multi-vitamin to ensure that I am getting everything I need from that aspect.

This is exactly what I was meaning when I started this thread.

Life after LL for me is about being able to push the boat out from time to time, but being able to rein it back in again after.

I was never able to do this before LL.

As I never completed LL and RTM, I will be starting it again soon as I want to complete the process and be able to return to LL whenever I want for support etc.

Now I know that I can control my weight, I am excited about the thought of being slim for the rest of my life.

The 11 months I have had off the diet has allowed my skin to shrink back a bit and although I am a couple of stone up on my lowest point, I know that I can get rid of that and get to my target in a few weeks of LL.

Once there I will do RTM and then I think the knowledge gained there will help me put together a set of tasty nutritionally complete menus for people wanting to be able to control their weight from time to time without resorting to LL soups and shakes.

Lovely to hear from you Mike, thanks for updating the thread.

I'm really pleased things are going so well for you, you had a plan, you've stuck with it and are now reaping the benefits :clap:

Best wishes

Tracey
x

Back