VLCD's and Pancreas/Gallbladder Problems?

Trixie Firecracker

A Work In Progress
Having spent a few hours browsing this site in general I've came across a few references to people on VLCD's having had Gallstones, Gallbladder problems and pancreatitis etc...

Now I'm planning to be on a VLCD for at least 6 months so hearing the above has me slightly worried. Is there anything I can do to prevent getting Gallstones, problems with my Gallbladder and pancreas etc..?

Anyone got any tips?

Thanks! :)

Being overweight makes you susceptible to gall stones in the first place, bad eating, high fat diet is what causes the high levels of cholestrol that gall stones are made up of. I suspect that those people who are on vlcd's had gallstones anyway (generally wouldnt be on a vlcd to start with if not very overweight), but not at a level where it caused pain or symptoms. The sudden change in diet will upset your system in lots of ways, and may trigger the symptoms highlighting the fact that gallstones are already there.

Its our poor diet generally that gives us gallstones, a vlcd wont cause them, but may make us aware of them.

Losing ten percent of your body weight will help with reflux. Being over weight is a cause for people ! ( me sadly!)

Avoid smoking, tomatoes, chocolate, coffee, alcohol and spicy foods! Eat smaller meals at regular intervals, and not less than three hours before bed. Prop yourself up in bed to sleep. Loosen any tight bra s, denial doesn't help ;)

Other documented self help remedies are ,
cider vinegar - tea spoons of
Turmeric is a proven wonder supplement it s also an anti cancer supplement
Manuka Honey- 10plus (also good for IBS, sore throats, open wounds) again proven

Keep a trigger diary.

Failing all of the above

If you get reflux all the time, go to your GP. Eighty percent of all stomach problems are a result of a bug called HPylori, also known as Helibactor. It's a nasty little bug which tricks your immune system and hides in your stomach lining and it causes persistent heartburn. Which just gets worst and worst. It can be diagnosed with a blood test or a stool sample test and it is eradicated with a strong mix of antibiotics and a proton pump inhibitor (antacid)

For more info, google any of the above, it's just a quick outline for your immediate attention.

Hope this helps.. Jan x

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

This issue is what scares me the most too! It's the only diet that I have ever had noticable success on but as yet I've never had to have any serious medical procedure & Gallstones scares me! IThe whole reason I started losing was because I was getting negative comments from stupid people & my Doc offered me weightloss surgery,combined this was enough of a kick up the butt!

I looked into this quite a bit before starting my VLCD.

Some experts and studies have indicated that Ursodeoxycholic Acid and also Aspirin can help prevent gallstones on VLCD. If you give it a google you should be able to find references. Eating fresh fruit and vegetables can also help, but that would depend on your particular VLCD.

So my plan, just to be on the safe side, is to take an aspirin daily for the duration of the diet, eat all of the allowed vegetables per day and keep a minimal intake of caffeine and carbonated drinks.

I'm a little worried about having no fruit and veg. I think I'll introduce a little and see if it messes up my week

I'm a little worried about having no fruit and veg. I think I'll introduce a little and see if it messes up my week

Which vlcd are you following? As most allow certain veg! Fruit is a bad idea tho as it'll.bring you out of ketosis x

Sent from my Galaxy S4

I'm doing optislim and have been recommended to stick to just three products. But I researched it last night and I am allowed two cups of green veg. I thought that that was for the LCD not VLCD but its actually both. :)

Back